Richyb

Mr Bill on a velocity 90!!!

Are you serious???

The forces generated when a canopy opens are great. The harness we wear absorbs those forces quite well in most cases. Hanging onto someone while they deploy ANY canopy is a recipe for disaster. You can't even begin to prepare for what kind of forces you can encounter. Granted, when people use really big, slower opening canopies, you can get away with it, but even then if the opening is fast, you could be killed or seriously hurt.

A Velocity is a tricky canopy even when loaded at 2.0. Loading one at 4.0 and having someone holding onto you while doing it is just not smart.

If you need to ask "Why" then you really need to sit down and think about doing such things, and calculate the risks versus the rewards. I think most people of sound judgement would tell you that the risks outweight the rewards by far. You are not only endangering yourself under the canopy, but you are putting the other dude at risk when he or she is holding on to you.

I've never done a Mr. Bill. And I've never jumped a Velocity 90. That's why I asked why.

My Blade 108 opens as soft as butter every time. I was just thinking about trying it sometime. Is that a bad canopy to try it with? If I'm way up high with a canopy that I know will open fine, where's the problem?

I've never heard of an incident involving a Mr. Bill

> If I'm way up high with a canopy that I know will open fine, where's the problem?

Asymmetrically loaded 4:1 elliptical canopies don't generally open fine. And unless you have a second harness, "Mr. Bill" is not going to load your harness symmetrically.

>I've never heard of an incident involving a Mr. Bill

We tried one at Brown a while back. First attempt failed. Second attempt resulted in a broken femur and a destroyed main parachute. Landing a reserve on a no-wind day with a broken femur is unpleasant.

A couple friends of mine tried one on a smaller canopy "by smaller I mean 120'ish" and the passenger didn't hang on and got kicked in the face on his way down with enough force to knock him out, luckily he wasn't knocked out and all ended well.

We have an instructor who has been the pilot of about 7-8 Mr. Bills in the last 2 years (it seems to have become the thing to do on your 100th at our DZ) and he uses a Manta and deploys himself. The first attempt was an IAD, but was decided after that it wasn't the best choice.

Using a larger canopy would give you a longer time to get situated for a better launch (get yourself standing on the pilots shoulders) and also gives the video guy time to get in place to get a good shot.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

> If I'm way up high with a canopy that I know will open fine, where's the problem?

Asymmetrically loaded 4:1 elliptical canopies don't generally open fine. And unless you have a second harness, "Mr. Bill" is not going to load your harness symmetrically.

>I've never heard of an incident involving a Mr. Bill

We tried one at Brown a while back. First attempt failed. Second attempt resulted in a broken femur and a destroyed main parachute. Landing a reserve on a no-wind day with a broken femur is unpleasant.

Wow. I'm glad I asked.

Can you share any more details? How did the femur get broken? Was it Mr. Bill's femur or the other guy's?

>How did the femur get broken?

First one was sort of a hard opening and he fell off, losing some skin and getting kicked in the process. On the second attempt, an IAD gone awry resulted in an even harder opening, and the leg that Sluggo had wrapped around Mr. Bill broke instantly. Bill fell away with some serious bruising and scraping but no serious injury. Somewhere I still have pictures of the 18 inch by 6 inch solid black hematoma on his leg. Sluggo landed with the broken femur under his reserve.

Well congratulations! That is just plain stupid.

ummmm, that's rough. I think that someone did it under that small of a canopy is kick ass. I did one several months ago and the pilot had a stiletto 120. It worked awesome....except for the line twists. Yeah, there are risks, but none of them are to you.....relax
my pics & stuff!

>Forgive my ignorance but what is a mr bill EXACTLY.

Sluggo and Mr. Bill hold on during exit. Sluggo deploys. Mr. Bill then falls away sometime later and opens his own parachute. There are a million variations on this but that's the basic idea.

Yeah, there are risks, but none of them are to you.....relax

Your right, we should encourage low inexperienced skydivers to do high risk stunts!:S NOT! The good news is that there is a real possibility that they will get their name, information and equipment they used published for FREE in Parachutist under "Incidents"[:/]
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Again since I have only been around for a few weeks, I hope NOBODY takes this the wrong way but isnt this ABSOLUTELY EXTRELMELY (I cant spell for chit) dangerous? And what is the purpose/goal behind it? And last, is this a common practice?

Again I am NOT critsizing anyone or second guessing or whatever.. Just trying educate myself through all of YOU who DO have experience.

THANKS

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

Yeah, there are risks, but none of them are to you.....relax

Your right, we should encourage low inexperienced skydivers to do high risk stunts!:S NOT! The good news is that there is a real possibility that they will get their name, information and equipment they used published for FREE in Parachutist under "Incidents"[:/]

Yeah, you're right...I'm an idiot. I didn't realize I was encouraging lowtime jumpers. That being said.....NO ONE TRY THIS!!!!
my pics & stuff!

Your attitude is complacent and dangerous. You may have gotten away with it once, and you may get away with it again, but adding risk to something that is already dangerous enough is asking for an incident down the road. Incidents are usually described as having several causal factors, and they all lead up to the incident. Also what example are you setting for those who have less experience than you?