Jeff.Donohue

Good resource for learning how to flat pack?

Other than taking a packing class with a rigger at my DZ (which I plan on doing shortly), is there a good resource (book, DVD, videotape, website, whatever) for a student to learn how to flat pack?

Basically, I'm looking for "Flatpacking for Idiots".

I know that there are a bunch of resources for PRO packing, but I think my DZO has a preference for students to use the flatpack technique.

Thanks!

Why flat packing and not Pro-packing?
I'm not saying that one is better than other, but at least at my DZ there is a lot more people pro-packing. A lot more people to help you when you have questions and more eyes to notice a mistake.
People still flat pack, including an Army accuracy team, but most pro-pack and a few psycho pack.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I agree with superman. I understand if your an old-timer and your better at flat than pro but if your just starting out than learn how to pro-pack, it's easier and like super said majority of people pack that way so there's lots of people to help you.

Many DZs teach flat packing first. It's a lot easier to understand what you're looking at. It's easier to learn pro packing after learning to flat pack... at least I've heard. Never learned how to flat pack myself. But I know I struggled with pro packing for a while at first.

Dave

Basically i'm looking for "FlatPacking for Idiots"

.. easy... Find an Idiot ( like yours truly ) B|;), who always flat packed and who still flatpacks,,
( of course I learned flat packing only after years and years of "flaking cheapos" )...HUH??? :o
Ask him/her to show you
how..... it is very straightforward...
..... works just fine for me..No mals in over 25 years.
...Only bring your own packing mat and be prepared to find a place away from the "normal ' packing areas,, since flat packing takes up a bit more space and when it's crowded , you may feel like you're "steppin' on peoples' toes" ;)
p s I find it to be a lot faster as compared to those around me who are still not yet d-bagged,, while I'm closing my container.:):)

I agree with superman. I understand if your an old-timer and your better at flat than pro but if your just starting out than learn how to pro-pack, it's easier and like super said majority of people pack that way so there's lots of people to help you.

Responding to you and the person who posted in front of you here. Flat packing is MUCH faster and neater when you are talking about larger canopies. By larger, I mean anything over 120 square feet. I PRO pack canopies that I can hold at my waist and not touch the ground after I have run the slider up and am holding it at the canopy. I still, quite regularly, swap between PRO and flat packing my Sabre2 97. Basically, I will always opt to flat pack any canopy that has packing tabs.

Chuck

PRO packing and flat packing is the same thing. Flat packing is what riggers and most BASE jumpers use. It doesn't matter if you start on your shoulder or do it all on the ground. It winds up with the lines in the middle and the canopy distributed evenly on both sides which is a PRO pack.

You're after a "stack" pack, or sometimes called a "side" pack.

NickD :)BASE 194

If you can get a hold of the army manual for MC-4, that would help you out immensely. It is definately and idiots guide. Dont let anyone tell you pro packing is superior. Just because "everyone is doing it" doesnt make it neccessarily better or worse. All that on heading openings, softer openings stuff is rubbish. The only disadvantage is that is takes up a bit more space than a pro pack. If your DZ has the space, go for it. Most people can flat pack pack a little bit faster especially if the canopy is 150 or larger.