ntrprnr

Safire 229 or Sabre 2 230?

Sorry - That should say "SAFIRE 2 229"

Final decision in the "great rig buying quandry." Demo'd the Safire and really, really liked it. But also really liked the Sabre 2 that I'd been jumping prior. I've bought the rig, it'll be here soon... Got everything but the main. Kind of need the main. It's important, you know? Figure I'll get better on landings the next six months, then downsize. No harm in not downsizing right away, right? I'm also a heavy guy - around 235 out the door.

So that said... Which one?

Which did you like better?

Which can you get faster?

If it matters to you, which costs less?

Your answers to those questions should answer your question.

Agree completely, Lisa. Just more curiosity than anything else - just wanted to see what other who are flying one or the other thought.

:)

Safire I or II?

If 1, note its sizing probably isn't comprable to the Sabre but 7% smaller than ticket... I'd take a Sabre II over a Safire I.

If 2, search the forums. You will find several thousand (I really am not kidding) posts about Safire II vs. Sabre II... I'd take a Safire II over a Sabre II.

Just my opinions, no one elses.

Don't mean to add another thought, but have you jumped the Spectre 230? Just got my first rig and have jumped it four times....openings are a dream and Slooooooow.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Safire2, though I've never jumped one. I have jumped a Sabre2 and was not impressed. As I own a Pilot, I think you ought to give one of them a try, they're in the same class as the Sabres & Safires. Spectres are really great too, but they're a 7 cell with a steeper glide.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Safire I or II?

If 1, note its sizing probably isn't comparable to the Sabre but 7% smaller than ticket...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In 2001 Icarus converted to the measuring method used by Performance Designs.
Safire 2 was introduced after 2001.

Sorry - That should say "SAFIRE 2 229"

Final decision in the "great rig buying quandry." Demo'd the Safire and really, really liked it. But also really liked the Sabre 2 that I'd been jumping prior. I've bought the rig, it'll be here soon... Got everything but the main. Kind of need the main. It's important, you know? Figure I'll get better on landings the next six months, then downsize. No harm in not downsizing right away, right? I'm also a heavy guy - around 235 out the door.

So that said... Which one?

Thought about a Silhouette 230?

:)

I have a Safire 2 229. Great Canopy. Can't say about the Sabre 2 cause I have never jumped one. Although, I did have a Spectre 230 and enjoyed it as well. As far as customer service....SUCKS. Don't waste your time or your coin in calling and talking with anyone because they forget about you as soon as you hang up. But, as said, great canopy.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I've jumped both canopies of a similar size (smaller then your choices; 129/135) and they are both great performers.

I currently jump Icarus canopies (a Xfire2 and an FX), but I am now moving to PD because of the customer service and general response and turnaround I have experienced with Icarus. If the canopy choice itself is a close-cut thing for you, I strongly recommend you consider customer service in your deliberations.

Ivan

Edited to add: Icarus had my Xfire for 9 months after I sent it back for a reline and test jumps (it was turning left); when I finally got hold of them, it had been in the back of the test jumpers car....
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent