hobbes4star

broken and wanting to skydive

so 2 weeks ago i was go-cart racing and was involed in a minor accident. needless to say i believe that i may have broken or at least cracked the rib on my left side that is right underneath my cutaway handle. so i have taken two weeks off and for the most part the rib does not hurt to bad.
but i am uncertan if i should try an attempt to skydive. i am jumping a 150 spectra with very nice openings. my loading is 1.2. i need opinions does this sound like something i should try or should i give it another couple of weeks??
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

Which answer would you prefer;)

Hell no!!! give your self time to heal
-or-
I think you can land just fine with a punctured lung I say go for it!
-or-
What could possibly go wrong? Go for it.
-or-
What do you mean, for the most part it doesn't hurt? If it does open hard, can you handle it?
If you do crash land, can you handle it?

We can't answer that for you :P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

you know your not goin to wait so just jump and see how bad it hurts

Just make CERTAIN you get it ALL on video;):)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"cracked the rib on my left side that is right underneath my cutaway handle"

I'd suggest resting it until the cutaway handle is able to make it back to your right side;)

Nick

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Wow...cracked ribs suck. I did that a few years back skiing and it took forever to heal. How bad is it? Mine kept waking me up when I'd roll over in my sleep. It wouldn't have been the opening shock that would have hurt near as bad as the moving around in the plane.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I know several people and have myself face-planted hard vertical into the pond. No cracks, no brakes just a compression in most of the above cases.
Seems taking at least two weeks off was the way to go. I was still sore during a single jump after the two weeks and took another two weeks before resuming.

Try jumping off a chair, if it hurts don't jump from anything higher.
When I broke my rib I waited about three weeks, one jump convinced me to wait another two weeks, continued to make one jump every two weeks or so till it stopped hurting.

First and foremost,without an XRay-you really don't know what happened. I used to do ALOT of 125 Shifter Kart racing and broke two ribs(xray confirmed). I couldn't even take a deep breath for over a week and had to have chest PT to prevent pneumonia. That type of racing causes alot of cartilage damage in the chest also-feels similar to cracked ribs. Believe me-if you had a broken rib you wouldn't even consider driving to the DZ. Be that as it may-WHY push the issue,ever hear of a spontaneous pneumothorax-you have to remember altitude is an issue here also. Relax,get well and jump your ass off. If you don't care about yourself-how about the people you are sharing the sky with. It doesn't make sense to me-100% or stay home.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

i think i "sprung" a rib, but i dunno.. i jumped 11 times and it didnt really bother me that bad.. it hurt but the adrenaline over ruled it. i will tell you what tho, if i lay down on my back tears start to come to my eyes and i cannot even move at all. i was at the dz and decided to lay down on my back and i couldnt even breathe, i had to ask somebody to help me up. haha.