Thijs

Students and injuries

Three weeks ago, on my third jump, I had an accident. I landed at the border of the dz and hitted a concrete fence upon landing. It was only this weekend I was able to see how lucky I was that day. 10 meters further and I would have probably went in.

Friends and family have asked me several times if I wanted to jump again, and for the moment I definitly want to jump again.

So, this is basicly a question for AFF-jumpmasters and SL-masters. How do most students react to getting injured during their course? Do they get back into the sport (if they are still physicly able offcourse) or do you never see them again at the dz?

Im no jumpmaster but in my AFF there was a guy who injured himself in Spain (not a fat guy, just a big fella) and totally snapped his ankle. I can't remember how long he said it took to heal but he was a positive person from what i saw. Failed his level 4, was still chuffed because it was his first jump in ages, went up again and passed.

Im just wondering if that kind of attitude is rare :P

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I landed wrong & broke my ankle on my first jump in 1982. (Static line T-10, brain fart on the PLF.) Sat in the field, watched my friend land in the next field while waiting for the staff to find me. Stared at the sky thinking "WOW that was so cool..." Spent three months on crutches, couldn't wait to do it again. Made my second jump about ten months later and did an excellent PLF. Stood up and said "You mean it's that easy?"

Hope you can fly again soon.

Cheers,
Jon S.

First jump was static-line and I landed in abeanfield, the plants wher about 3 feet high so when my feet touched the plants I thougt I was on the ground &stopped my flare well that basically dropped me on my ass HARD,nearly knocked me out,and found out later I had broken my tailbone. I had so much adrenaline pumping did'nt realise how bad I hurt went home ,barely sleept because I was so pumped went back the very next day & did AFF-1 and did not figure out I hurt myself until tuesday
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

My older brother landed a C-9 down-wind, in a ditch, breaking his ankle.
Ankle sprains and lower leg fractures were common back when round parachutes were fashionable.
Fortunately, injuries have been vastly reduced since square canopies were introduced.

Hey there.

I'm not an instructor, but a newly licensed skydiver. I broke my ankle on jump #7 (my 4th AFF jump). I was out for three months. As soon as I received permission from my doctor, I was back in the air.

For me, it was never a question of rather or not I'd jump again, but a matter of when and where.

Good luck ~ Sarah
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

i dislocated my shoulder twice on AFF. it wasn't actually fear about getting injured that would have kept me from jumping again, but my own pride about whether or not i could do what was necessary under canopy. i loved it so much. when i had my first injury, my favorite instructor just said to me 'don't let it end like this.' i knew i had to go back one more time to get over it... and when i did, i knew i could never stop this.

there were a few instructors who told me that yes, they had expected me to quit and never come back. ha. showed them. ;) i finally had surgery to fix my shoulder so that i don't ever have this problem again... and look forward to knocking out my license in the spring.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

I'm not an insturctor but I have a little expreience in this area.

I tib/fibbed on AFF level 3, spent a week in the hospital (the nurses moved my bed so I could see the DZ).

3 months later I restarted my AFF and finsihed my A license a couple of weeks later.

In a way I'm almost glad that I had a relatively minor inury early on in my career, its made me acknowledge just how risky this sport can be if you dont do it right.

in the end I knew I wanted to keep jumping but that is only a decision that you can make for yourself. I'm glad I did.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Honestly, since I broke my ankle on my 2nd jump, I'm hesitant to jump again and yet at the same time, I want my ankle to heal real fast so that I can jump again!! [:/] Actually, I have to jump again in order to find out if I really can do this sport!
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Fortunately, injuries have been vastly reduced since square canopies were introduced.

Really? IMO because of hook turns there are more femurs broken, and more death due to low turns. But I could be wrong. Wonder where we could find those numbers?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey