Broke

helmit paint prep

Ok so there are a few threads about painting helmits, and from what I have learned pretty much is be sure you use good automotive paints, but here is my question. How does one prep a helmit before painting it? Would one just clean it off with alcohol, and then prime it? Or would one sand just enough to rough it up? I am looking for helmits, and the cheapest I can find are po tecs only in pink... I don't think I can do pink. If I did I would have to write on it horray for boobies or something like that, but I digress. Whats the best method to prepping helmits for painting?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I actually painted an old protec that I got for free (ie stole from my boyfriend). It had been spray painted, and the paint all came off. I decided to paint it, and painted it with cheapo tempra paints. I painted it first with white since the helmet was RED and then I painted my design on. I tried to make the design kinda goofy, so that people would realize I was just being cheap, and then came the finishing touch. I bought spray clear coat at the hardware store, and put on about 5 coats. I knew the paint would eventually come off, so I tried to paint it in a way where it might acutually look cool when it got scratched and stuff. I used red as an accent color, so when the red shows through it is not so noticeable. It has made it through about 160 jumps, and it is doing well. I have attached a photo.

I don't know that this was the best way to do it, but it was a cheap way, and it worked for me. One thing I also did, was I didn't really clear coat around the edges very well. That part has chipped quite a bit, but again, I think that adds character to the helmet. All I know is it looks better than when I first picked it up.

-Lori
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

I used to prepare vehicles before they were painted. Ideally you need to gut the helmet of all fabric etc, and use a grey scotchbrite pad with cutting paste. This will very lightly key the surface so it doesnt damage the construction of the helmet at all.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?3999

Painting using automotive paint is actually very hard to get a good finish, and for the paint to go off it needs to be baked in an oven, which is what they do with the cars. But this would definately distort the shape of the helmet because it needs a hefty temperature.

Also, WORD OF CAUTION: Automotive paint contains iso-cyanites which will kill you with long term unprotected exposure.

WEAR A MASK FOR RUBBING DOWN AND MASK AND SUIT FOR ALL PAINTING!! THE DUST FROM THE PAINT CANNOT BE BROKEN DOWN BY YOUR BODY AND WILL POISON YOU!! THE HARMUL CHEMICALS CAN ALSO ENTER YOUR BODY THROUGH YOUR SKIN!!
Even if short term, means you feels like crap for couple of days and keep coughing up shit.

I know it aint the coolest, but for a chepo protec, cheapo paint is the way to go. I think the helmet, paint and clear coat cost me $15. Buy a nice helmet, get a nicer paint job.

Some of the other pictures here look sweet!
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.