skyjump11

T-10 (ask an old person what this is)

I got you way beat. I got 13 S/L jumps.

The best part is I don't feel old:)

Tell me that when you hit 47. :)

Been there, done that:P I guess my avatar picture isn't big enough to show my age. That's a good thing:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I got 12 T-10s and 2 Paracommanders.

Still got you beat. I got close to 100 PC jumps. But I'm sure there are tons of others that post that will make me look like a baby in the sport when it comes to S/L and PC jumps.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I'm really enjoying reading these posts. Sid sounded like a great guy. Too bad about his passing.

During the 60's and 70's very few combat jumps were made, so it's also interesting to hear from soldiers who have actually made combat jumps. Very few were made during the Vietnam era.

There's been a few different versions of the t-10. I'm no expert, but I thought I'd add a little about what I know. Most para-troops were jumping unmodified t-10's during the early 70's.

During this time Special Forces started jumping t-10's that had risers which actually slipped through the upper part of each capewell. They weren't sewn together at the bottom like standard risers. There was a safety fork on a lanyard (above each capewell) that you pulled out of each riser, after getting canopy. This made it a little easier to turn and slip into the wind. If I recall right they had a round modification in the back of the canopy. Actually they were really doggy and not much better than the other t-10's.

In about 72 or so S.F. started jumping T-U modified t-10's, with toggles, and standard risers. They may have been called mc-1's. My memory is about shot. Again, these weren't too hot, but at least you had some forward drive into the wind. I remember making a lot of standups on these.

Anti-inversion netting must have come about in the later 70's. I quit military jumping in about 75 and never saw the stuff until seeing it in a picture a few years ago.

May West malfunctions weren't too uncommon back then. A friend of mine rode one into the ground because his reserve didn't inflate in time. He was banged up, but he was still able to drink beer that night.

Most bigger skydivers started out jumping a t-10 rather than a 28' round canopy in our club (during the early 70's). They let you down a lot easier if you were big.

We had a guy in our Guard Unit that must have been 6' 5" and close to 300 lbs. He had one heck of a time fitting into a standard military harness. One size fit all back in those days.

The para-commander was a huge step up back then. This was considered the hot canopy to own for many years until everyone started going to squares. It was in a class of it's own, and not just another round canopy.....Steve1

I'm really enjoying reading these posts. Sid sounded like a great guy. Too bad about his passing.

Whoa! Back that truck up! I passed? What the fuck did I miss? I only napped for a while :S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

A friend is looking for an old T-10 to hang up in his
little boys room. (Yes, I know that all T-10's are
old....I want a cheap, worn out, useless one that
I can get for a few dollars.)
any suggestions? thanks.

Call Ralph, he's got em. 503-630-jump

Oh yeah, I got 10 t-10 jumps.

Got any T-10 jumps?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nope! I'm smarter than that
Sid,

Wussie..

Go look on skydivemovies.com and search for Amazon.. I just jumped one a couple years ago and we put the video up there on the site...:)

WONDER BEACH..1968

SF doing FUN jumps

aircraft was 2 prop with 2 jets
looked like small ver. of C-130

went out the door at 900 ft.

south china sea to the right
barbed wire and mine fields to the left

landed with 2 bullet holes but did not hear any gun fire

HOOAH..FUN JUMP???

20 years old
how did it go
yourng ..dumb..and full of XXX

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Sid,
Please excuse my ignorance. Somehow I got your picture mixed up with the fellow that just died. Gees I'm stupid. I figured someone was just showing some of his old posts....I'm glad you're still with us....Steve1

Whew! Sometimes I wake up and I'm not sure ...... :S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I got 12 T-10s and 2 Paracommanders.

Still got you beat. I got close to 100 PC jumps. But I'm sure there are tons of others that post that will make me look like a baby in the sport when it comes to S/L and PC jumps.

Yeah, you guys are rookies on T-10's and PC's.

Peter, are you looking that pasty lately? You'd better get some sun down there in Florida! :P

Three T-10 jumps for me, and I'm only mid-thirties. Great motif for a kid's room, though. Complete the "Young Ranger" collection with a Ka-bar wall display and red-light readable wallpaper and he'll be all set...

Lance

Sid,

How about a night, C-130, T-10? Tomorrow 2100 (9 PM local/civilian time)

No? Ok, day, C-130, T-10, 1200 (1200 noon Local/civilian time).

No? ok just trying to help;).

Ok 1 more shot Thursday 1200 hollywood MC-1D from a C-17?
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Sid,

I'll go for the oh-dark-thirty blast from the Herc. M-60 and ruck - though I want to rig my own red-ball release for the ruck. I landed one in Italy after a butterbar substituted 550 line for 80# tape.

1,250 feet is high by combat standards, I admit, but I'd like a little more time to get that 24 footer deployed if everything doesn't work as planned with the main.

All the way!

Winsor

Sid,

I'll go for the oh-dark-thirty blast from the Herc. M-60 and ruck - though I want to rig my own red-ball release for the ruck. I landed one in Italy after a butterbar substituted 550 line for 80# tape.

1,250 feet is high by combat standards, I admit, but I'd like a little more time to get that 24 footer deployed if everything doesn't work as planned with the main.

All the way!

Winsor

Can I come too?....It's only been 30 years since my last equipment (night) jump.:S

I've only used a red ball a couple times. On those jumps I had a wooden ammo crate filled with gravel (in jump master school). Never jumped a C-17, but lot's of C-130's...Steve1

800' AGL to 1000' AGL max.

We haven't used a "Red Ball" in a few years for rucks, but the Harness single point is an easy piece of equipment to learn, it is based on a 3 ring any way.;)

Oh the M-60 is a bit our of date too.:P Although I did like mine over the M-240b for a while.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!