schuey87

Jumping with the end of a cold

I did have a cold, but am in the pretty much recovered stage now, ie -no blocked nose, no sore throat etc, I just have a bit of a runny nose. It isn't going to hurt me if I jump in this condition is it?

You might run into the problem of not being able to clear your ears.....OUCH!!!
I had the same thing last summer and jumped anyway. Kept trying to clear my ears the whole jump, to include the canopy ride down. I didnt learn my leason the first jump and did a second. Ears hurt for an entire day. Dont take the chance.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I did have a cold, but am in the pretty much recovered stage now, ie -no blocked nose, no sore throat etc, I just have a bit of a runny nose. It isn't going to hurt me if I jump in this condition is it?

It easily might, and if it does, it's a bitch. Been there, done that. Hurt like hell. It isn't worth it. Give it another week.

I suffered almost the same problem as ScottyInAus, except I didn't need antibiotics, and the pain wasn't that bad. (It wasn't that _good_, either, and I only jumped from 3k.)

I have since resolved to waste the extra week to be sure. It saves time in the long run.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I got a new rig this weekend.. and was itchen to try it out.. but I was just getting a cold.. Not a bad one.. and it hadnt really moved from my chest to my nose/head yet.. so I went.. I jumped twice.. the second time my left ear didnt clear and hurt like hell.. when it did clear it was like someone stuck me with a knife.. Later in the day it got better.. I almost jumped again..LOL>. but decided to go in the wind tunnel for 15 min instead.. Im glad I didnt jump.. We flew to the DZ that day.. on our decent.. my ears were not right.. They are good now.. I thought I might have popped my ear drum.. I'll never do that again..
but it takes what it takes.. good luck

Different people have different susceptibility to blockage of the sinuses and eustachean tubes.

Mine rarely get blocked and I have found that I can jump with no discomfort once a cold is past its peak. Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Only you can evaluate your own condition.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Many people, even a week or two after the cold, will have a higher than normal degree of congestion. The congestion is what can blow out your eardrums. Give yourself some time.

I don't jump when I'm sick. It caused me to miss AFFI evaluation jumps. It also caused me to miss the last two days of the holiday boogie. It's tough to miss great things like that, but I try to take care of my ears, since I both jump and scuba.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD