udder

Uni Club - How did you get gear?

Howdy

We're a uni club looking for a container with an adjustable mlw to fit a 190/170.

I was wondering if anyone knows a dropzone with hire gear they sell periodically? Or other ideas for places to purchase gear from?

Peder
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

We're a uni club looking for a container with an adjustable mlw to fit a 190/170.

Why an adjustible MLW? The club rigs at the two university clubs i'm famillar with all have non-adjustible MLW, and they fit everyone fine, not the best fit possible but it's safe. We got a Vector container in one uni, and a Wings and javelin container in the other uni.
Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

well I'm 6'3 and something that'll fit me will no way in fuck(I may be horribly wrong) fit a 5'3 chick... Just by the virtue of 200 odd people who put their emails down as interested in jumping(probably very few will actually jump) it was a pretty 50/50 spilt between chicks and guys so I figure an adjustable MLW helps everyone out.

If you put a canopy into the rig that is suitable for the 5'3" chick to jump it is "no way in fuck suitable" for you at 6'3" to jump (making some presumptions on likely weight and wingloadings).

There's more to worry about than simply the size of the harness!

If you want everyone safe to jump you are not going to achieve that with just one set of kit, not even one with an adjustable MLW.

You should think about buying something this year which is good for majority of people - this means the middle sized, middle weighted people, or perhaps sized for those with least experience.

Then next year (or later if funds don't allow) buy something for the tall and heavy. Then the next year buying something for the short and light. (Or some similar sequence of purchases).

I know that's probably not what you want to hear... but that's my advice.

That's what has been done by the club Twibbles is referring to. It took them several years but now they're just about to complete their third rig which is their big boy/low exp. rig having already acquired a middle-sized rig and a light/experienced person rig. in previous years.

Yea I set up a uni club a couple years back and every year would bet in excess of 400 name out of that your lucky if 10 actually want to do it badly enough for fork out the cash to start....we have zeroxes with adjustable harness at our dz and there damn good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large Groups!!

Out of 70-odd static line students, we're lucky to be left with 5 or 6 cat8s, and that's usually through AFF. Not sure what number the 200 interested peeps will boil down to, or how it is with 'student poverty' and jump prices over there, but I'd see what you're left with before buying anything. Maybe they'll all be 6'3 and that'll solve the problem!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

my intentions with this rig was to have a 190 in it as a transition rig as our dropzone goes from a 210 to a 170 without anything inbetween. Also by hiring out the rig to non-uni jumpers we can raise some cash for maintinence and eventual replacement. well that was the idea anyways. I know that there isn't really a perfect solution but I thought that a container with an adjustable mlw was a good start. Though the thread seems to now be about uni gear choice, which suits me fine cause I need all the help I can get.

Something sized for a 190 would most likely accomodate both a 170 and 210 aswell. Which will cater for all but the lightest and heaviest of newbie canopies.

Just my thoughts anyways, it's way past my bedtime.

Nighty nite.

I've read these horror stories and of those 200 names I'll be happy if 10 actually jump this semester. I really should stop thinking of the greater good and by the bigger boy rig first, it might come in just my size:)

my intentions with this rig was to have a 190 in it as a transition rig as our dropzone goes from a 210 to a 170 without anything inbetween. Also by hiring out the rig to non-uni jumpers we can raise some cash for maintinence and eventual replacement. well that was the idea anyways. I know that there isn't really a perfect solution but I thought that a container with an adjustable mlw was a good start. Though the thread seems to now be about uni gear choice, which suits me fine cause I need all the help I can get.

Something sized for a 190 would most likely accomodate both a 170 and 210 aswell. Which will cater for all but the lightest and heaviest of newbie canopies.

Just my thoughts anyways, it's way past my bedtime.

Nighty nite.

We have 3 Rigs. A 210, 170 and a 150. For us the 210 is the most used rig. We recently had to replace the 15+ year old main. We considered getting a 190 but speaking to instructors they thought it would be best to get a 210 instead of a 190. The reasons are that many stay on the 280 for training and a jump down to a 190 is too big. If somoene can jump a 190 they can jump a 210.

My experience with our rigs is that they can fit allot of people with a massive range is size and height. I personally couldn't believe how a rig made for a small girl fit on a very tall friend, but it did. There may be some kind of safety concern with rigs sizes, etc so speak to an instructor about that.

I don't know how we got the rigs to start with, apparently we got them so far back no-one has a clue how we got them. When looking for a cannopy for the club we couldn't find a second hand ZP 210 anywhere. But we were able to buy an ex-demo canopy straight from aerodyne. We were told that he couldn't sell us a cannopy and to go to the dealer on the DZ, but we played the "we're poor uni students, and it's for the club" card and he gave in. So try actively searching out for sources not available to the average person.

I really should stop thinking of the greater good and by the bigger boy rig first, it might come in just my size:)

Look at it this way... you know for sure that there's someone (you) who can jump the rig. ;) So, it's still for the greater good, you're making sure it'll be used. :)

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

well I'm 6'3 and something that'll fit me will no way in fuck(I may be horribly wrong) fit a 5'3 chick...

Two teammates. One is 5'3" and one is 6'8". When they sit down they're the same height. Raw height has less to do with rig sizing than is commonly supposed.

Second-hand rigs that take 190s are damn hard to find at the moment in Australia. A glut of folk coming through have drained the market pretty much dry.

i trade some gear...if your wanting some gear...let me know what uni u go to.... club name, shipping address, club pres...etc...ill try to get u some gear... what are u looking for??

I was president of OSU Skydiving club in the 80s.... hit the school up for cash...for ur skydiving program.... give em ur budget (include practice jumps and trip to nationals) we ended up w/ about 2-4 k per yr in funding...that was in the 80s!

mm
[email protected]

I'm running short on some time right now but will post more later.

I'm in a very unique position that I was president of a uni club for 3 years and am still actively involved and jump. We've been arond for over 40 years, own our own aircraft, 9 complete rigs, oldest being 2002 and with all brand new Navigators with less than 20 jumps each.

All nine of our rigs have MLW, they are Jav containers and we are actually beginning to cyle them out. We've had to ground one of the 9 rigs for excessive wear on the MLW as a type 3, and, just for safety reasons we didn't want to push it. Jav will repalce the harnesses for $350 so not a big deal.

Anyway what I've really getting at is the number thing for the club. Over the last 5 years I've been involved in the club I've seen close to 1500 different faces. We have up 200 flyers ever semester and pass out somewhere around 1000 hand outs over a 2 day period (yesterday and today actually), print ads in the newspaper, have a TV ad on the college station, radio advertising etc. Even with all that, we get about 100 studetns a semester who jump. Of those 100 who jump, 20% make a 2nd jump and then only 1% ever finish their student progression. So out of the 500 students a year (that includes tandems) on average we keep maybe 5-7 and a majority of those students actually come from the one summer class we teach every year ironically.

Now we're different than you guys as far as university involvement. We receive maybe 1000 a year from the college, most of which we use for advertising and then anything that's left we throw into a travel fund or buy the staff a jump and lunch or something. If the university were to decide to not fund us anymore we would still exist without any problems.

You'll have to do a great deal of advertising to get word of mouth out. Out of all the advertising we do, that is the number one form is just simple "guess what i did this weekend". I'm assuming you'll be jumping from a commercial DZ so you'll be paying their rates, orwill they cut you some slack? Will you be training students? Charging club dues?

Last but not least, we've begun to cycle out our containers for new ones. They are Jav's with manta 288's, Sharp Chuter Reserves and Cypres with a year or more left on them. They all have the MLW on them and are Type 2 in condition (normal wear). Shoot me a pm if you have any questions about gear or running a uni club
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

F*cking hell!!!! We've been around for over 20 years and like to think we're doing 'okay', but goddamnit!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm turning green with envy! B|

Mike

I'm running short on some time right now but will post more later.

I'm in a very unique position that I was president of a uni club for 3 years and am still actively involved and jump. We've been arond for over 40 years, own our own aircraft, 9 complete rigs, oldest being 2002 and with all brand new Navigators with less than 20 jumps each.

All nine of our rigs have MLW, they are Jav containers and we are actually beginning to cyle them out. We've had to ground one of the 9 rigs for excessive wear on the MLW as a type 3, and, just for safety reasons we didn't want to push it. Jav will repalce the harnesses for $350 so not a big deal.

Anyway what I've really getting at is the number thing for the club. Over the last 5 years I've been involved in the club I've seen close to 1500 different faces. We have up 200 flyers ever semester and pass out somewhere around 1000 hand outs over a 2 day period (yesterday and today actually), print ads in the newspaper, have a TV ad on the college station, radio advertising etc. Even with all that, we get about 100 studetns a semester who jump. Of those 100 who jump, 20% make a 2nd jump and then only 1% ever finish their student progression. So out of the 500 students a year (that includes tandems) on average we keep maybe 5-7 and a majority of those students actually come from the one summer class we teach every year ironically.

Now we're different than you guys as far as university involvement. We receive maybe 1000 a year from the college, most of which we use for advertising and then anything that's left we throw into a travel fund or buy the staff a jump and lunch or something. If the university were to decide to not fund us anymore we would still exist without any problems.

You'll have to do a great deal of advertising to get word of mouth out. Out of all the advertising we do, that is the number one form is just simple "guess what i did this weekend". I'm assuming you'll be jumping from a commercial DZ so you'll be paying their rates, orwill they cut you some slack? Will you be training students? Charging club dues?

Last but not least, we've begun to cycle out our containers for new ones. They are Jav's with manta 288's, Sharp Chuter Reserves and Cypres with a year or more left on them. They all have the MLW on them and are Type 2 in condition (normal wear). Shoot me a pm if you have any questions about gear or running a uni club

So where do you get your money from to pay for all those rigs and mantinance?

It's built into our jump price and for every tandem or new student we train we make about $60. After their first jump/tandem everything is at cost. We also get the money from club dues, $20 a semester from everyone in the club. We own the plane and all our rigs so we don't have to worry about payments etc.

I posted the breakdown in another thread, yesterday, now I just have to find it.

Cool. Checked your website and then it suddenly all clicked...you lot own and run a DZ! :D Crazy! I can just imagine trying to get that one past our student union funding committee!

no no no no you still don't get it. WE own the DZ not the university. The uni gives us $1000 a semester which we spend on advertising etc. We NEVER use that money for equipment or the plane as then it would somehow or could give them control of what we do later down the line.

If the university were to drop us like 3rd period french it would have no effect on us what so ever other than we wouldn't get free copies at the copy center which regardless each of us gets 100 copies free a semester, so 2 people would have to chip in to hang flyers, the rest of the money we use to pay for competition airfare, like 50 bucks a person and that's it. In no way shape or form has the university helped us, will ever help us, or funded the creation and operation of our dz, equipment, aircraft or anything else.

That's where people are going wrong, they're trying to set up dz's at the uni's expense, that won't happen. A lot of times colleges contact us because of our existence and ask how we do it, we inform them that we're a self sustaining entity that just has the authorization to call ourselves Skydive K-State or Kansas State University Parachute Club, that's about our only association with the uni.

We don't own the airstrip, it's owned by the city, but we're the only ones who use it.

In the time of my jumping we owned the rigs and had bought a plane, we paid the plane off 2 years early, before that we rented a plane from a guy. A fellow pilot co-signed the lone to buy our plane, pilot was not involved with the club, just a nice guy whom we share our hanger with.

As for the history 30 some od years ago I don't know where the money came from. In the concrete outside the hanger is says KSUPC Skydivers 7-30-1970, 12 years before I was even born.

In the 5 years I've been around though we've replaced all 9 of our student rigs, 9 student canopies, paid off the plane, rebuilt the engine, buying 9 new cypres' next month and 9 new reserves end of year.

We have extremely low overhead not having to pay staff and I believe our hanger rental is 15 a month and that includes electricity and phone. We also mow the DZ and around the runway to raise some extra money for equipment, but again, all our time is volunteered

Well, essentially i did get it. Regardless of technical ownership details, you basically run a DZ and therefore don't have to pay the profit to someone else, but reinvest it - meaning cheap jumps and lotsa gear.

Whether you own the airstrip or not is irrelevant, though the fact 'you' (as opposed to uni) own the 'plane/gear/stuff' is very relevant. Raising that kinda money is near impossible unless it's already in place, for whatever reason!

You guys are really fortunate with what you have!

I'm sorry I re-read your post and my post and I misuderstood it and the no no no was meant to be funny not rude.

We're very unique in the sense that we don't have to pay the comercial rates when training our students. I think actually we're the only university club that owns and operates our own DZ. I know we're not the oldest club, possibly collegiate, but there are many others whom operate the same way. LSPC in Lincoln and Couch Freaks are 2 examples that come to mind. They own the dz and are a club, cost are low, however there is the comercial overhead aspect of it still