mostwanted

DUTY? / importing canopy from US to EU

Don't quote me on this at all, but i recall it being about VAT+5% to the UK. That could quiet probably be wrong as the system is so stupidly complicated i didn't really get it (and nor did the guy on the other end of the phone...).

Get someone to bring it back for ya. Or go and collect it. It's probably a lot simpler (and certainly cheaper).

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Depends on the country. As a general rule you should get to pay the same VAT that you would pay for the same item if purchased locally. Plus there might be additional custom duties and expenses, again dependig on the specific country.
There is actually no such thing as importing something into the EU, just as there is no such thing as "European VAT".

Cheers,

Vale

yep,like the others said: it depends and the country you bring the goods to.

to sidepass all these dues, you'd have to get the canopy/container second hand with a lower value on your bill. that said: custom officers aren't all that stupid

hope that helps
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

so what if you just picked it up then told them you'd brought it with you from your country of origin if they ask if you need to declare it? send all the invoices and manuals and stuff home in the post?

They may ask you for proof that you already owned it - they did with me twice [:/]

Definately don't pack the invoices and stuff in the same bag... And don't put 5 new canopies into one tandem main container, they kinda figured out it wasn't supposed to be like that :D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I just sent my brother his 37" LCD HDTV valued at $2300 US to Germany. He is in the military.

The dutys and taxes were over $800 Euro. :o

He was considering asking the UPS people that called him when it got there if they could send it back. :D

Good thing he is military, cause he was able to get a paper filled out and have everything waived.

the tv weighed 87lbs. So im sure that had something to do with the dutys.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I paid 25% of the total amount to get a rig to the netherlands.

Did you? Heard that about Begium as well. Next time drop me a line and import it to Germany. As far as I know we only pay about 2 - 4% (plus 16% VAT) and you should be able to import it to NL without any further duties.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.