AEsco48

How high can you jump w\o supplemental oxygen?

>I imagine at most DZ its regulated by air traffic controlders.....just quirious...

ATC could care less who's on what sort of oxygen system.

Generally, you're required to have it here if you go above 15,000 (or above 12,500 for more than 30 minutes.) In reality, it depends a great deal. I've been hypoxic at 14,000 (Perris exit altitude) and I know people who are fine at 17,500 feet (which we've gotten occasionally at Lost Prairie.)

Do you mean how high can you ride in the airplane w/o oxygen, or how high can you exit without a bailout bottle? The first is covered by FAA regulations (FAR 92.211, I believe). As has already been answered, that is 15,000 msl for passengers. The SIM discusses high altitude jumps, including the need for a bailout bottle above certain altitudes.

>i meant that the max exit point is set by ATC in regards to at what
>altitude other planes fly at.....not oxygen...

I've gone as high as 26,000 feet in the US on an Otter. Above 18,000 feet additional rules apply, since that's Class A airspace (formerly known as positive control airspace.) No VFR flights allowed. But that doesn't mean you can't go higher, as long as your aircraft/pilot are IFR certified.

i meant that the max exit point is set by ATC in regards to at what altitude other planes fly at.....not oxygen...

ATCs only real concern is that aircraft do not get so close to each other that they cause, what is known in their business as, "A Deal".

As long as a number of factors are met, permission could easily be obtained to fly upwards of 60,000 MSL. (The costs, on the other hand would be outrageous.) Above 60,000 MSL the FAA really has no jurisdiction, but the costs would be even more outrageous and I'm almost certain the U.S. military would start to get a little interested if for no other reason that a training exercise for their people.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Canadian Air Regulations require supplemental oxygen be available - to crew - for flights between 10,000 and 13,000 feet MSl, if you plan to be up there for more than 30 minutes.
If you fly above 13,000' aircrew must continuously wear oxygen nasal cannulas. ... above 18,000" oxygen masks.
Supplemental oxygen must be available to passengers for flights above 13,000 MSL.

CSPA recommends wearing a bail-out bottle for freefalls above 18,000 MSL.
If you plan on opening high (i.e. canopy formations), CSPA recommends wearing a bail-out bottle above 15,000 MSL.

The key questions is: "How many minutes will you be above 10,000 feet?"

When I was young and foolish - and ran half-marathons - I did a couple of tandem jumps from 19,000 MSL. No supplemental oxygen, no AAD and no drogue.
It is amazing the dumb things that young men survive!!!

Do you mean how high can you ride in the airplane w/o oxygen, or how high can you exit without a bailout bottle? The first is covered by FAA regulations (FAR 92.211, I believe). As has already been answered, that is 15,000 msl for passengers. The SIM discusses high altitude jumps, including the need for a bailout bottle above certain altitudes.

FAR 91.211 requires oxygen for the flight crew for that portion of the flight in excess of 30 minutes above cabin pressures of 12,500 feet MSL. The required flight crew must use oxygen at all times above a cabin pressure altitude of 14,000 feet. Passengers must be provided with oxygen for the entire time above 15,000---passengers are not required to use it, but oxygen must be provided.

The 30 minutes at 12,500 used to matter when we were mostly jumping from Cessnas and DC-3's. Now-a-days 14,000 is the legal limiting factor. At my drop zone we start at 340 feet MSL. If the Otter climbs above 13,660 the pilot is required to have oxygen...It's never enforced, and ATC doesn't seem to care, but we should all know what that regulation requires.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy