LisaH

Aircraft question

My "fear" whatever it really may be, is in fact worse because it's been a month since my last jump.

Really, the only cure is to jump more and get comfortable with leaving an airplane. The type of door is irrelevant. I know the economics of this may be a problem, but in AFF if you're doing only one jump per month, you may never get to the "comfort" level needed to actually learn much.

Try to concentrate on the individual steps involved in exiting, such as,
1. Put this hand here.
2. Put this foot there.
Etc.
This will give you specific things to focus on rather than the fear you have of the door.

Just my $.02 worth of amateur instructional psychology. ;)

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Lisa, I grew up around the sport and I still get butterflies on occasion. Just take a deep breath and don't worry about if you fall out what you're gonna do, Worry about what your gonna do when you get out of the airplane.

Leave the rest up to gravity and just have fun;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

Describe..hmmm....the butt of the plane opened up and we walked out. Would have been ok if it didn't seem like we were walking a plank.

Aside from the completely natural fear of stepping out and falling, it's also natural to find the moment of seperation from the plane disconcerting. One moment you've got your feet on the deck, holding onto something solid, the next moment you feel like a leaf on the wind. You just need to do it more and build your confidence in your ability to relax and be stable.

Keep at it and before long you'll really enjoy it. I think most skydivers will agree that the exit is the peak rush of the entire jump - it is for me anyway.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

how far on the progression are you?

I found that a significant chunk of my door fear went away after my first unstable exit (intentional). From then on I knew that I could tumble out unprepared and recover almost immediately. Before then it was all theoretical.

And in Australia there is a fine turbine-powered Beaver with a stretched fuselage that hauls 10 jumpers.
She climbs fast; jumped her a number of times back in '90.

Yup. She's an after-market conversion with a Garrett engine. Some photos. The top two pics are as she looks today.

Based at Sydney Skydivers, Picton. Primary owner and pilot is Jon McWilliams, who manages the DZ, was on WT06, and has been to 5 or 6 World Meets in 4- and 8-way. Top bloke.

And in Australia there is a fine turbine-powered Beaver with a stretched fuselage that hauls 10 jumpers. She climbs fast; jumped her a number of times back in '90.

Yup. She's an after-market conversion with a Garrett engine. Some photos.

Nothing sucks like a VHAAX!

Looking at the pictures, I _think_ the stretching happened between the little round window and the tail. Is this a common modification for these planes, or was this a one-off? (Clearly the cowling was lengthened for the different engine.) I notice the top of the tail got squared off at some point as well.

What is the dark-colored object hanging under the door on the top two pictures? Is that the "bomb door" or is it something else?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

One that smiles at me up there perhaps...

They should be your biggest cheerleader... (If my instructor read that line he'd tell me that I'm "such a girl.");)

But seriously, he may or may not realize it yet, but he's become my mentor and I feel very lucky to have had him as an instrutor and a friend. You shouldn't settle for less. :)

What is the dark-colored object hanging under the door on the top two pictures?

A step?

Yup. Big enough to have a tea-party on...

After reading this and zooming in on the picture, it made more sense. I was visually parsing it wrong, and I also was thinking "that's way too big to be a step." Now what I see is a vertical part, curved along the top to conform to the fuselage, and a horizontal part that you actually stand on. The four protrusions at the bottom are the ribs or support beams that wrap around from the vertical part to the horizontal part to make it solid enough to stand on.

Thanks!

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.