lisamariewillbe

Up to par on skills...

Just some thinking recently about where I am at with my skydiving skills or lack there of. I am my biggest critic so I tend to focus on the areas I suck at and negate the good as luck or a fluke... so I am wondering what should someone with around 100 jumps be able to do? Is there a standard on what one would assume they could do?

Also looking back it is obvious that I was probably a better skydiver those first 25 / 30 jumps then I am now. Maybe its just the fact that I have high expectations of myself, or maybe its well I dont know. This is just random thoughts and what has been on my mind since the last jump.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Take a canopy course. I took Scott Miller's course right after AFF, and I'm still am far away from mastering the accuracy techniques he presented 50 jumps later. He did say it would take 200-300 jumps before you could get good with them. :)
I'm real glad I took that course. I can definately say that I am better now, less than a whole lot but noticabley better, and more comfortable with my canopy than I was at 35 jumps.

Cheers,

BW

Note, I'm not much higher than 100 jumps myself... but...

I stopped comparing myself to others when I was a student - it would be a recipe for depression. I am not and probably never will be a "natural" at this sport. Instead, I try to look at progress against myself; am I doing things better than I was 10, 20, 50,100 jumps ago. Sometimes stuff catches me by surprise - I was working on side slides with fall rate changes in the tunnel a couple months ago and when I got out I realized "I just *did* that... I didn't have to think about *how* to move that way, I just did." That meant at least something was becoming "natural."

I've jumped with people with around 100 jumps who, I thought, lacked basic air awareness and weren't even aware that it was a problem (things like tracking directly over someone who was below them at breakoff.... on a three-way...:S). That's one thing I can think of that seems like something a 100-jump person ought to have developed by that point.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The fact that you are asking this question is a great sign. People who aren't aware of their limitations rarely overcome them. Just don't beat yourself up to the point skydiving stops being fun.

I've been little surprised how much variation there is in skill levels relative to jump numbers. This is partly due to natural ability, but I think mostly it reflects a desire to keep improving. Some people stop learning once their A license card is filled out and rarely stray from their very narrow comfort zone. Others never stop watching, asking questions, and pushing their limits.

Even though I'm strictly a weekend fun jumper, I've tried to adopt the philosophy of being a perpetual student of safety issues, RW skills, and canopy flight.

Good luck!

Doug

- You should be able to remember what happened on your jump in a reasonably unbiased manner (e.g. "I was sliding" rather than "the earth was sliding and the rest of the formation was all over the place").
- You should be able to be aware of up to 3-4 other people in freefall while tracking; track away from them a significant distance, and pull without scaring yourself or anyone else. The same goes for under canopy.
- You should be able to figure out how to face the relative wind in most airplanes.
- You should be able to figure out the general area where it's possible for you to land while in the air.
- You should probably be able to comfortably turn at least 3-4 points in a 4-way with jumpers who are significantly better than you (i.e. keep up with them, maintain level, etc). With less experienced ones, you should be able to figure out what was going on. Dunno what the equivalent is for freeflying.
- You should feel comfortable looking out the door for other aircraft, and should be able to readily identify the airport and major landmarks (at least when it's pointed out to you when you're somewhere strange).
- You should be familiar with how your gear works; with what to look for in terms of wear and malfunction, and you should be comfortable giving someone else an equipment check.

Those are a few.

You used to be able to get a C license with 100 jumps, a jumpmaster card, and an instructor's card with a C license.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

land on the airport

har dee har harrr.... everyones a comedian lol...

To WMN whoohooo see thats what I needed to hear... was hoping to hear, that it was things that I am pretty much at level with.... granted Ive landed out a few times... which is the weekend , the first weekend skydiving was not fun. That bothered me and put alot of pressure on myself as well as the pressure of others, and still lingers.

I have always had the ability to remember the jump, first debrief after AFF they were shocked that I remembered it piece by piece from the last thing I saw at exit to trying to daisy chain... that being said I am still scared to beef it up and move forward, seems everytime I do that I have gotten minor injuries.

Like NWFlyer said, I probably need to stop comparing myself to what others at my level can do and just look at how I have progressed. Its only been recent I have had the chance to turn points (I wear weights now) and right now my canopy is my top concern as well as becoming alot of fun, which before I looked at it as a way to get back to another plane, but as time progresses I am realizing the fun in the canopy flight.

I may be only a twice a month jumper but I still take my progression and skill serious. Thanks all for your comments.

Come do CRW with me. There's a reason nobody at Salado gets away without doing CRW - you can learn more about canopy flight in 1 jump than you can in a ton more freefall jumps.. Flying relative to another person in the air will really help you gain perspective on canopy flights..

Think about it this way. With a jumpnumber of 100 you have maybe 100 minutes of freefall time depending on how many hop and pops you have done. Think about anything that you have only dedacated 100 minutes of your life to practicing, and see where you will be with skills related to that task.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

only 118 more jumps till I can try crw.... Im not ready for CRW in anyway yet ... Id not let anyone near me under canopy as I am not to a point that I feel it can be introduced. I am aware, that isnt the problem, however CRW as well as many of the other disciplines in this sport are tough as shit and requires someone to be well, better then what I am. Thanks and I one day can not wait to do rotations with you...

118 more jumps? Standard rule at my dz is 25 jumps and their own gear.. When you do it with someone experienced like me, its very safe - much more so than many people think. There is absolutely no better way to improve your canopy control. That's why everyone at Salado does CRW with me starting young..
W