DavidKnise

Brand New and 16:)

Hey, I'm David Knise.

I live in Issaquah, Washington in the United States. In a few weeks, I will be taking an instructional course which includes a tandem jump. I've been looking into the sport, for about 6 months now, and have been interested in it ever since I could remember.

My main question, is on parachutes and packs. How many people own their own pack? I know the packs cost around $1500, and renting each time could be fairly expensive. I currently live with my mom, who makes about $32,000 a year, and I make about $12,000 a year, so between the two of us... there's not much extra cash. I have been... on the other hand... buying and selling used guitars and amplifiers to get some extra cash, and yes, I've saved up $1200 so far! SO, my question to the people who've used the gear, which brand and which chute? I'm looking at many of the starter-beginner parachutes, as I'll use it for quite a while. They all seem to be described as stable, and easy to use, as well as well-rounded, which I like. After a few jumps, I'll hopefully be able to purchase one, and the I want to make sure I get the right one instead because it's a one-off chance for me.

As it comes to design, I'm not sure what type of chute is more preferred, and smooth. If there is a site with any background info, (or if it's on here and I just overlooked it), could someone please point me in that direction? I'm a bit of a knowledge freak, and just find the science to it fairly fascinating too.

Oh, I almost forgot, can anyone pack their own chute with a little practice? And when in the process of learning, is there anyway to test that it releases properly? I'm not exactly into the "lets try this out with jumping out of a plane" technique.B| If I can do my own packing... I'd want to know for a fact that it won't fail on me.

Thanks!:) This is a great forum and site from what I've seen. It's been very helpful, and I hope it will continue to be helpful.
-David

Just wait till you're licensed and all your questions will be answered... or at least you'll have better questions to ask.

And ummm... $1500 is about the price of a new canopy. Think more like $3000 for a used complete rig, or more like $5000 if you bought new... plus altimeter, helmet, jumpsuit, etc etc etc.

Don't worry too much about costs. Skydiving will cost every penny you have for the rest of your life, no matter how many pennies that happens to be. :)
Dave

Well, luckily for me, I'm in line to get a free helmet, goggles, and suit from a very old friend...

I'm seeing that most places, it costs about $20 to go up each time, $200-$500 for educational courses, and hefty dues on rentals if you don't have your own gear.

I've seen a few videos online where people drag their canopies across jagged rocks, and as they pull it in, there are a bunch of tear marks that they don't even seem to care about... and I just sit there in shock wishing they hadn't done it, and just given it to me.

Which reminds me, used gear. Is it reliable?

Thanks Dave for the quick response. I'm a little anxious!B|

Which reminds me, used gear. Is it reliable?

Used gear is how most new jumpers start. My gear was 10 years old with about 250 jumps on it. It has been just fine. I've put almost 300 jumps on it. All used gear should always be checked out by your rigger.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Used gear is how most new jumpers start. My gear was 10 years old with about 250 jumps on it. It has been just fine. I've put almost 300 jumps on it. All used gear should always be checked out by your rigger.

That's good to know. Infact, that's about $1000 good to know.B|

Hey David, welcome to the crowd!

There are several great articles which will answer a lot of your gear questions if you click on the 'safety' tab at the top of the page - including one specifically about choosing your first gear.

For more background info on the 'science' behind it, have a look at the manufacturers website [/url]http://www.performancedesigns.com[url] where there is even MORE info!

Have fun!

Frank.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Your first year in skydiving will cost you the most. Here's the breakdown:

Lessons: $1500-2000, depending on your performance in each level.

USPA membership and license fee: $60

Gear: Used rig with AAD, $2000-4000
New rig with AAD: $4500-6000

Total: $3500-8000

After that all you pay for is jumps ($16-25, per jump) and reserve repacks ( ONce every 120 days, $45-80).

As far as packing goes: It only takes a day or so to learn the basics. After that it is simply a matter of practice. Packing is easily learned and mastered. It is also a requirement to get your license. After that, most drop zones have packers that cost $5-8 per pack job (if you're lazy and don't like to pack).

As far as what to get for your first rig: Ask Your instructor(s). They will guide you as to what type/brand of canopy/rig to choose.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I would say dont worry about anything now, just go on your course and start to learn. You'll find the answers to all your questions during the course and jumps. You probably wouldnt be allowed to jump anything other than centre kit for at least your student jumps, but kit is always provided, no extra cost for these.

As for the suit, helmet and goggles, you'll probably find when you get into it, you'll want a custom built suit (built to your body shape/height/build) and other helmets like a full face, camera helmet etc. So dont count on the freebies you've got lasting for ever. But again, you'll find out what you need as you go.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Depending on how old the gear that you are getting is, it might be too far out of date for most instructors today to let you jump it. If the helmet is an old motorcycle helmet you are going to be hard pressed to find some place that will let you jump it until you get fairly experienced.

Lessons are $200 per jump and it takes about 7-15 jumps to jump solo. 25 jumps are needed to get your A licence. Gear is $2000-6000 usually. Then $20-25 per jump after that. This is an expensive sport and it only gets more so once you get your own gear and start jumping frequently.

I've spent enough money in the last 6 years to have paid cash for a new car, and I don't spend near what a lot of people do. :S That said if you are determined enough you can afford it. Pack on the weekends and you can make a few bucks that you can put right towards jumping. My Girlfiend packed last weekend and bought 5-6 jumps with her packing money.

Also double check the age requirement, most places require you to be 18 to do a tandem.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hi,

If you're lucky to live near a mom-and-pop type dropzone that's relatively lower priced yet very good rated, you could get solo certified for something like $1000 USD. So you likely have enough money to get your certificate. There are places that allow you to rent a rig for the whole weekend for a fixed price, so you could save your money and jump like mad (like I did) on certain weekends. I was able to hold off buying my own rig until jump #59, using a daily rig rental rate. It's still hefty costs... Definitely get your own gear; but you don't need to get it *right away* - let your instructors help you; you may get somebody at your dropzone sell you a rig on a payment plan like I did!

All rigs have two parachutes (canopies). You pack only the main one. To the best of my knowledge, the backup is always packed by a FAA certified rigger. So if you screw up packing, you can still cut it away (a simple operation of yanking a special "cutaway" handle) and use the reserve parachute (backup). But it costs a lot to get the reserve repacked, and while reserves are much more reliable, you don't want to go to your last chance of saving your life, if you don't need to - so you just practice packing and let a packer open your container on the ground to check that it looks like will open properly, then you pack it again, go up, and jump it. :) Of course, there's a lot more to it -- but this is really a nutshell of how things work regarding packing in skydiving...

And LEARN to pack -- you can get PAID to pack other people's parachutes! $5 per parachute. You can pack dozens in a day once you get good at it. And pay for part of your skydiving that way. It's damn expensive, but I know a young one who managed to pull off a skydiving habit, by working part time for the dropzone -- spending only about $3K or so per year, with the rest paid in part-time parachute-packing income. Something to think about!

Also double check the age requirement, most places require you to be 18 to do a tandem.

I was informed that FAA requires someone to be 18, don't know if that's accurate, but the main reason behind it is that under 18, you can't sign a contract. Parents can't sign a waiver for their children, either. At least 4 DZ's I've been to in the past month have had this rule. Kind of a drag, IMO, but understandable in todays litigious society.

Its not an FAA requirement, its a dropzone specific policy. Manufactors of tandem gear also have that restriction in place but lots of places ignore it.:|

That's what I'm finding out. There are a few places that say "have your parents sign it," and a few that say I can't. I'm not sure which is true... so I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I didn't really specify that I haven't signed up for a specific class yet... which is a fairly important thing to note.;) I requested the age information from all the locations in the western Washington area, and I'll move on from there. It's pretty cool to see a bunch of Seattle people here, and even those who've been to the Issaquah heliport!

Gear wise, I know it'll cost quite a bit, but it's worth it! I've been working since... ummm... an illegal age to help support my family, and I've found the true worth of a dollar, and also that experiences filled with adrenaline make great personal investments.:)

Thanks again.:)

The '63 US National Parachuting Championships were held at Issaquah.

it's also where the rigs came from that were given to D.B. Cooper.

And famous for multi-Cessna formation jumps.
And where the major student obstacle was landing them on the median strip of I-90.

HW

The '63 US National Parachuting Championships were held at Issaquah.

it's also where the rigs came from that were given to D.B. Cooper.

And famous for multi-Cessna formation jumps.
And where the major student obstacle was landing them on the median strip of I-90.

HW

That's crazy! Man, I wish it were still here. Currently, the location that was the port is now a place for local food trade in a barn that is over 150 years old, and a Costco Wholesale store. I'm there, probably twice a week.