imthegerm

JUMPING AFTER A BAD LANDING

ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN GIVE ME SOME HELP WITH MY ANTICIPATION ABOUT JUMPING AFTER A BAD LANDING?

I had a hard landing, totally my fault, broke my leg and had ACL reconstruction in February. From what friends and bystanders say, I just did not have a full flare. Ooops, that will never happen again!

I feel it is time to jump again. I am having ALOT of hesitation with this and need some advice on how to just go and get it done.

I know after I get out of the door everything will be alright , but I am having trouble doing just that. Getting on the plane. HELP!!

Go to the dropzone. Hang out. Watch loads land. Talk to people. If you feel like jumping, great. If you don't feel like jumping, that's okay too.

Repeat the above process as necessary until you either feel like jumping or decide you aren't going to jump again.

I jsut went back and learned from my mistakes
and got coachign

and listened when people screamed that I needed to finish my flare

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I don't really have an answer to the original question, since I'm out of action with an injury myself. It's interesting that here we have three people who didn't complete the flare, but I'm sure that none of us did it deliberately. Why does a person do this? I think I got some kind of tunnel vision and stared at one point on the ground till I just smacked into it. Certainly wasn't planning on it.[:/]B|

Matt

Sorry to hear about your brokeness. I broke my ankle on my 4th AFF jump. I would recommend that you get some coaching - radio assistance until you feel comfortable with your landing skills. I would also recommend taking a canopy control course.

Good luck : )
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

hey

i broke my pelvis in 7 places in february (target fixation, complete stupidity)...

i ended up doing a tandem just to get me back in the air... (i was working on a dropzone and really wanted to jump, but i (as well as the dzso to be fair) didnt trust my landings not to break me again at that stage) it meant that when i got around to jumping on my own i was less apprehensive and that i knew whether freefall would cause me pain and it means you're almost guaranteed a decent landing...

so maybe try that?

make sure you are physically ready to jump before doing so, i was barely off crutches when i started jumping again (i was meant to wait at least 6-12 months, i went for the 3.5 months option), which was somewhat stupid but it's been ok... so yeh, im being a hypocrite but you don't want to risk causing more damage...

thanks for the great ideas. a tandem did cross my mind. (but that equals up to at least 8-10 jumps!)

sorry about your pelvis. yeeouch!

i guess i just need to go and hang out down there a little bit.

maybe that is what the problem was. target fixation. nobody has suggested that, hmmm.

thanks much!

blue skies 2 u!

Learn from your mistake, and pay real attention to your flare when you land.

Hang out talk with the instructors. Watch some loads, when the day ends drink some beers.

People in this sport get in varying degrees of injury at one point in time or another. There is a reasion there is that old expression about geting back on the horse.

Take it easy, nothing to it but to do it.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Practice PLFs.

Practice PLFs.

Practice PLFs.

Oh... and use them, too.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I upsized back to at least as large a canopy as I should have been on, and I did what my physical therapist told me to do.

Upsizing was sweet. It slowed everything down.

Also, if you broke something by not flaring all the way, I would suggest finishing your flare from now on. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Yes, those glorious PLF's. a friend thought for sure when he saw me coming in so fast, that he was about to see the best PLF ever, he thought I would roll about 100 ft, dust myself off and stand up and walk away. that is what should have happened.

ta da! i thought i could run it off, der...oopsie!
:(

Practice PLFs.

Practice PLFs.

Practice PLFs.

Oh... and use them, too.

Finally - Thanks Krisanne!

Not raggin' on anyone in particular...raggin' on the entire skydiving community (I'm an equal-opportunity pisser-offer):

God, it pisses me off when people get hurt because they refuse to PLF when needed....Oh, for the glorious "stand-up".

PLF may not be the end-all to save-all, but bejeezus...it saves more than hurts by a long shot!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Practice PLFs.

Practice PLFs.

Practice PLFs.

Oh... and use them, too.

Finally - Thanks Krisanne!

Not raggin' on anyone in particular...raggin' on the entire skydiving community (I'm an equal-opportunity pisser-offer):

God, it pisses me off when people get hurt because they refuse to PLF when needed....Oh, for the glorious "stand-up".

PLF may not be the end-all to save-all, but bejeezus...it saves more than hurts by a long shot!

man and they work for a lot of shit...

I did a glorious PLF the other day with 1500 dollars worth of camera gear on my head in the middle of a swoop on my rears suddenly had a moving target enter my lane and I was like shit so I cranked it to the left on my rears and felt it start to stall and went oh shit....and plf'd

a plf is an awesome way to save your ass

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

they might be able to give it to you for a better price if you're a regular jumper

There is a promo right now for a 7500ft tandem that runs $188...($99 tandem w/ mandatory $89 video)

Maybe they'll shave a little for ya...

Good luck and "pre-welcome" back...:)
=Eric
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

i was lucky...i just kept getting hurt all the time! someone told me that if i waited till nothing hurt that i'd never skydive! ;)

i guess everyone's a bit different...for me, i took the bandaid approach and figured that the longer i waited the worse it would be. so 3 months after i broke my pelvis (on my 121st jump) i went back and jumped. glad i did. once my gear was on and i was in the plane i felt a lot better. took a little while to get completely over the fear of recreating that accident...but it goes away once you begin to trust yourself again. and be sure to learn from your mistakes... and from those of others.
doh!