AndrewKarnowski

awards and patches and what not

If you like that kind of thing, then sure. If you don't, that's fine, too.

But what they represent (time in sport, activity in sport, higher skills achieved, etc) is more important than actually getting them explicitly, IMO.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But what they represent (time in sport, activity in sport, higher skills achieved, etc) is more important than actually getting them explicitly, IMO.

Yes, but the SCR is a bit of a right of passage for many in skydiving. Typically its done for someone who doesn't quite have the skill to actually fly in and dock on an 8-way. They're the maggot and the 8-way is built around them. Sort of like here it is, now you know what its like, go learn how to do it. The first time you dock on a SCR for someone else brings it all together for you.

The ceremony is important in this regard as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There are also USPA awards, though I think you might be a ways away from achieving them (unless you're planning a REALLY busy summer of jumping!).

You could also think of additional licenses (even if you just meet the requirements for them and don't actually apply) as good milestones to measure your progress.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

.. in texas..

It doesn't have to be only in TX. Its an important tradition in skydiving with an incredible amount of history. Quite honestly I think its sad that other DZs around the country outside of TX has let this tradition go away. To me, completing SCRs may not be the most challenging of skydives, but it helps bring the low-time jumpers into the sport and into your DZ. It also establishes something for a low time jumper to really look forward to and gives them a sense of having arrived.

What good is it for a jumper to have an A license and then simply be tossed to the wolves at the DZ. How many experienced jumpers go out of their way to jump with the low time jumpers? A handful, maybe, right? What does that low time jumper have to look foward to as a fun goal to accomplish?

Its really sad others in our sport have let this tradition slip away. It really is.[:/]

A lot of us are at cessna dzs so this is not something that could happen very often.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

A lot of us are at cessna dzs so this is not something that could happen very often.

Of course it is! It just takes two Cessnas to make an SCR/SCS dive. Back in the day that was all the incentive we needed for two DZ's to pool their resources (two airplanes plus beer) and have a unified boogie so everybody could try to get on an eight-way. There is no reason that can't happen today!

Be like a family and invite your relatives from the next town to join you for a weekend of skydiving style relative work.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

So, what's an SCR for those of us that don't know?

See the handy-dandy glossary. Basically, it's an eight-way round formation; usually everyone is facing in.

If you have sixteen jumpers, you can make two rings and connect them in inverse parallel. This gives you a TRIAC.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Hmm...quite a few of the SCRs I've been on were out of 2 182s. Its not that hard to dig up another 182 for a weekend. Its even more fun to get two DZs involved to have a day of formation loads somewhere.:)

:);) The visuals of those jumps were exhiliarating and remain sharp in my mind to this day.. Nothing like an 8 way or a 12 way from cessnas...Much more cozy than a present day "big way" formation load. ....as you watch the door of the other airplane open and your buddies climb out ...Often the incentive was to help people earn scr & scs awards....back in july of 1981 I was proud to be part of a group of 8 friends who earned Night Scr numbers by exiting from 2 cessnas at 11:30 pm and building a night freefall star formation...;) wow..... what a fun fun time that was....
jmy

.. in texas..

It doesn't have to be only in TX. Its an important tradition in skydiving with an incredible amount of history. Quite honestly I think its sad that other DZs around the country outside of TX has let this tradition go away.

Its really sad others in our sport have let this tradition slip away. It really is.[:/]

Totally agreed. Getting my SCS (9th on a 9-way) was a real pump-up for me and I 'll remember that jump always.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yes, but the SCR is a bit of a right of passage for many in skydiving. Typically its done for someone who doesn't quite have the skill to actually fly in and dock on an 8-way. They're the maggot and the 8-way is built around them. Sort of like here it is, now you know what its like, go learn how to do it. The first time you dock on a SCR for someone else brings it all together for you.

The ceremony is important in this regard as well.

Well said AggieDave. I remember weekends, very special weekends, where competing 182 DZs came together and the prime purpose was to have as many SCR dives as possible. These weekends were, for the most part low pressure, let it hang out, have fun affairs with the occasional skygod four plane formation loads where you might get to attempt a 16 way diamond or maybe a 16 way CRW diamond attempt.:o:o. After jumping was over for the day, the SCR ceremonies and partying with "rival" DZs went on sometimes until it was time for the sunrise load the next morning.:D:D
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Well I think now I know what I would like to do for my 100th. Maybe I can get the 206 and the 182 in the air for a ten way. This sounds like good fun. Now I just need to find ten jumpers that all want to get in on it.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th