winston_06

FS1 too soon??

need some advice guys!

i have 27 jumps and 45 mins in the wind tunnel and two weeks ago i got my A-licence....now i almost got my FS1 last weekend and have been told by my fab WARP instructor that i will definatly get it next weekend.
I have also done supervised spotting and got 1 accuracy landing.

what my question is....am i doing too much too soon??? i dont want to run before i can walk but feel confident in what im doing... i want to be a safe skydiver and really feel this is helping with safety and awareness. although i am so inexperienced in jump numbers!! what do you think??? :|

Sarah,

From my point of view jumping with you this weekend, you were skydiving like someone with a LOT more experience than you have. Quite often people with low jump numbers but a fair amount of tunnel time can have wobbly exits, tracking or canopy skills but you did very well in all of those areas. :)
My advice would be to get your FS1 (minimum 4 point 4-way for our American friends!) while the weather stays good. This is the UK after all! I would guess that you only need another 2 coached jumps. Once you have done that, you can continue working towards your B licence and you could/should do some hop and pops to work on canopy skills and to get the accuracy requirements for your B licence done.

You can also continue to get post FS1 coaching, or perhaps join one of the low experience load organised groups. This would be good, because there will always be an experienced load organiser there to help keep things safe.

Learning doesn’t stop when you get FS1 and if there are skills you feel you need to work on, then there will be plenty of people at Nethers who will be more than willing to help. :)
Vicki

Edit to add… remember to pause from the learning objectives sometimes and to do something fun! There is plenty of fun stuff that you can do safely. :)

FS1 is mostly about 4 points of 4 way, but its also about safety. Ive seen people fail their FS1 due to a poor track on break off.

But sarah, aslong as your coach thinks your safe, then theres no problem. My girlfriend only has her A, 70 jumps but about 4 hrs tunnel time when she got her FS1. She only got it because she needed it to compete in the grand prix the week after :)

I also had a friend who got hers after 48 jumps with no tunnel time. Its different from person to person, but you're going about it the right way (getting a coach to get to know you) so go for it.

Good Luck :)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

FS1 is about safety and basic RW skills. It is very much the beginning of learning about FS rather than the end!

If your FS coach is prepared to sign you off (and I would trust Vicki's judgement!) Then what she is saying is that you are able to use your judgement to keep yourself and the other people you jump with as safe as possible during an FS dive, and you have the basic skills to belly fly with others. Nothing more.

Given those parameters, if you can fulfill that requirement then it will not be 'too soon' to get your FS1. Good luck with it if you go for it next weekend. And yes, it will mean more :D. B|:P

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

i saw someone do a 14pt four-way on their fs1 dive but managed to track all of 5metres in 5 seconds and failed it, and that was on 40 jumps and no tunnel time. i took till 64 to get mine with no tunnel time as i couldnt afford coach jumps, so just found mates to jump with and practice on

i saw someone do a 14pt four-way on their fs1 dive but managed to track all of 5metres in 5 seconds and failed it, and that was on 40 jumps and no tunnel time. i took till 64 to get mine with no tunnel time as i couldnt afford coach jumps, so just found mates to jump with and practice on

Not sure I understand your point here? Tunnel time is a pretty new thing for most UK junior jumpers - most of us managed FS1 without! :PB|

I hope that you were careful about selecting those friends to jump with as there are some fairly defined rules about who can jump with non-FS1 qualified skydivers. The CCI must be consulted if they don't have their coach rating.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

You are both right to a certain extent...

The Ops manual says...

6.4. Formation Skydiving (FS)

6.4.1. To obtain Grade 1 in Formation Skydiving (FS1) the parachutist must, be introduced to FS by a CCI nominated FS1 Grade parachutist or equivalent of proven FS instructional ability, have received a full safety brief and demonstrated the ability to:

a) Control fall rate.

b) Control horizontal movement, (forwards, backwards and sideways).

c) Achieve ‘docking’ techniques.

d) Turn in place.

e) Dive and approach a target.

f) Complete four points of 4-way FS.

N.B.(1) No more than one Category 8 jumper per group, all other jumpers in any group must be FS1 parachutists.

Vicki

need some advice guys!

i have 27 jumps and 45 mins in the wind tunnel and two weeks ago i got my A-licence....now i almost got my FS1 last weekend and have been told by my fab WARP instructor that i will definatly get it next weekend.
I have also done supervised spotting and got 1 accuracy landing.

what my question is....am i doing too much too soon??? i dont want to run before i can walk but feel confident in what im doing... i want to be a safe skydiver and really feel this is helping with safety and awareness. although i am so inexperienced in jump numbers!! what do you think??? :|

As long as you feel comfortable and most of the experienced jumpers around you are comfortable, then I would say that you are progressing well. The three key goals about this sport that I keep in mind are:

Stay safe
Have fun
Keep learning

In this I would trust everything that Vicki says with the exception of nakedness in the bar :)

... and I speak from experience here :D

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

In this I would trust everything that Vicki says with the exception of nakedness in the bar :)

... and I speak from experience here :D

Awwwww... go on Gav... it's the done thing to turn up at Nethers for the first time and get naked in the bar. Everyone will join in if you do. Honest!!!!! :D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D

:P

Vicki

Did I meet you in the Montagu Pyke a couple of months ago?

That was a good story.

(For varying values of "good" maybe, but it was funny :D)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

yeah naked bar this saturday.....although it depends how fit the guys are when there naked! i owe at least two beer fines by then so il help with the drunkeness! and prob i will help with the nakedness.....:(

:$:P:)

Roll on Saturday then. Gav will certainly get naked on request...;)

Sometimes there isn't enough beer in that bar to make the naked guys attractive though! :D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r:

:P

Vicki

The CCI must be consulted if they don't have their coach rating.

Not what the ops manual says:

N.B.(1) No more than one Category 8 jumper per group, all other jumpers in any group must be FS1 parachutists

For just doing non-FS training fun jumping, by the letter of the law, no you probably don't. Try it though and see how amused your CCI is... or isn't :P