yamtx73

Customer Service: good and not so good

Let me start off by stating clearly that these are small things I asked of some manufacturers yet the way each handled them gave me alot to think about should something major come up...

Good:
I wrote to manufacturer #1 when I got my new gear and asked for a t-shirt. I had my shirt in 2 days.
I'm designing a new jumpsuit and wrote to manufacturer #1 and asked for color swatches, I had them in my hands in 3 days.

Not so good:
When I got my new gear I wrote to manufacturer #2 and asked for a t-shirt, still haven't received it (a month later).
I wrote to manufacturer #2 and asked for the same color swatches, customer service emailed and verified what material and colors I wanted. It's been 1 1/2 weeks and I still don't have them.

As I said, these are minor, simple requests yet the way they were handled makes me wonder what kind of support there would be should I have a serious issue that needed resolved.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

This subject seems to come up
fairly often.
One can only hope manufacturers not only read these threads, but take them into account when managing customers. Customers still vote with their wallets, but it's no longer a local economy, either. Bad (or good) word travels very, very fast these days.

Let me start off by stating clearly that these are small things I asked of some manufacturers yet the way each handled them gave me alot to think about should something major come up...

Good:
I wrote to manufacturer #1 when I got my new gear and asked for a t-shirt. I had my shirt in 2 days.
I'm designing a new jumpsuit and wrote to manufacturer #1 and asked for color swatches, I had them in my hands in 3 days.

Not so good:
When I got my new gear I wrote to manufacturer #2 and asked for a t-shirt, still haven't received it (a month later).
I wrote to manufacturer #2 and asked for the same color swatches, customer service emailed and verified what material and colors I wanted. It's been 1 1/2 weeks and I still don't have them.

As I said, these are minor, simple requests yet the way they were handled makes me wonder what kind of support there would be should I have a serious issue that needed resolved.

I think that everybody would benefit from knowing which manufacturers you're talking about, in our industry word of mouth is an important aspect to keeping a business running and allowing those who put the effort in to succeed where others will not.

If you don't spread your good / bad stories word of mouth with who you consider to be good and who you consider to be bad; then it will come down to whoever spends the most money to advertise in parachutist will make the better living... I am not completely sure why you felt compelled to censor which manufacturers you spoke of.

Matt
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

Were you suppose to get a free t-shirt? Did it say that on your order form? I've never seen a box on an order form for a free t-shirt.

I never got a free shirt when I got brand new gear.

As far as the color swatches, it takes time to cut those and put those together and if EVERYONE asked for them or expected to get them, then it would probably cost us more and it would take longer to get our gear.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I just got my new rig with new canopies. Both Aerodyne and Infinity sent me t-shirts and some other stuff. I also got a fanny pack with the Cypress. All was much to my surprise.

Square 1 also called Velocity Sports after my accident this week because I was wearing their t-shirt that had to be cutoff by the trauma team. Velocity said they woulkd send me a new t-shirt no charge. It isn't necessary, but so far seems to be great customer service.

David

Actually... the one that did send the t-shirt didn't offer one, the one that didn't send the t-shirt did offer a t-shirt with a purchase.... As for the swatches, I'm sure most manufacturers have such things on hand for customers to look at to compare colors. I work in a cabinet shop and we have several "standard" colors we use and keep samples on hand for customers to use for matching their counter tops.
It isn't really about the t-shirt or the color swatches though, it's about how they handle a simple request from a customer. If they can't handle something small like that what kind of support could you expect should you need something more important?
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

If you find something of equal quality and comparable price from a different company that treats you better, go with them... simple as that. If you get poor customer service from one company and good customer service from another, rat them out! Tell us all about it on this website. I like to learn from other peoples mistakes. Especially when it comes to my safety or my wallet.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

This is the peak part of the manufacturing season. Perhaps they're prioritizing serious issues over requests for free t shirts?

Seems like a lame litmus test to me, but it's your money. Of course you pay for tshirts and fedex'd swatches in the form of higher prices.

Were you suppose to get a free t-shirt? Did it say that on your order form? I've never seen a box on an order form for a free t-shirt.

I never got a free shirt when I got brand new gear.

j

All Aerodyne orders come with a free t-shirt. Make sure you check the box for size and gender.

blue skies

Bushman

Are you ordering your rig/canopy through a dealer for that company?

That is where you usually get to view color swatches. (In my experience.) So I can see why a request like that could (and should) get put on the back-burner.

As for not getting a free t-shirt... that certainly isn't something I would really complain about.

At this stage in your jumping career I think you should worry less about being catered to and being certain that you have matching gear and worry more about actual skydiving.

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham