yim666

scary openings

i jump a cobalt 150 and i recently switched my rig from a voodoo built for a 150-170 to an infinity built for a 135-150. Over the last 10 jumps on the new rig, on 3 occasions my cobalt has opened, after its typically long snivel, with both ends of the nose folded under which put me in a hard spin. Rear riser input won't clear it because i'm already horizontal by the time the spin starts so I have to pop my toggles, which sucks when I'm trying to move the slider down and do my other post deployment house keeping. Plus it puts twists in my control lines when i let go of the toggles. Now this never happened with the voodoo, whose d-bag was really loose for the canopy. Any ideas/suggestions?
don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Hi Jim,

Are you using the main D-bag that came with the Infinity? I would assume that you are since you mention that the VooDoo bag was really loose. Is the new bag tight enough that you may be loosing control of the packjob a little when you are putting it in the bag? That's the first place I would look. If the canopy comes out of the bag on heading consistantly, it's hard to pin the problem on the container or bag. However, if teh opening feels different after that point, you may want to look at things like the rubber band stows and pilot chute. Is the PC the same size as the one you were using before?

FWIW, you should be able to stop the spin with your rear risers without having to release your brakes. The rears are a much larger control surface than a toggle:)
VSE on Facebook

Do your brake lines twist up when the canopy is laying on the ground? If twists are left in brake lines for too long, they can set into that twisted position permanently. Untwisting them is merely twisting them away from where they want to be... so they coil back up as soon as they're released.

I could've completely misunderstood what was causing your brake twists, so this could be irrelevant.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Aye, poor phrasing. By "released" I meant "released from your hand" or just left to flap in the breeze.

When, other than just before chopping, would you do that?

Whilst performing a "Ghost Rider"
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Aye, poor phrasing. By "released" I meant "released from your hand" or just left to flap in the breeze.

When, other than just before chopping, would you do that?

I, personally, wouldn't. That's not to say that I haven't seen it happen [though it's generally when somebody doesn't stow their brakes in the landing area].

The time when I actually saw a brake line coil itself up was when somebody went to un-twist their lines at somebody else's recommendation. They untwisted the line but couldn't figure out why the line kept appearing to twist up even with the brakes stowed. As soon as they unstowed their brakes and let it go, the toggle flipped around as the line twisted itself up again. Needless to say, they had new brake lines by the end of the day.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

the bag is definitely tight as fk so it could be getting away from MY PACKER since I''m too lazy to pack the tight lil biatch myself. Not to sound paranoid, but I think my packer is trying to kill me. Maybe I should tip him better...
EVERYONE says I should be able to clear it with rear risers but trust me, when that canopy is in a hard diving turn, the rear risers do nothing. plus by that point i'm low enuf to not want to jack with it anymore.
don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

the bag is definitely tight as fk so it could be getting away from MY PACKER since I''m too lazy to pack the tight lil biatch myself. Not to sound paranoid, but I think my packer is trying to kill me. Maybe I should tip him better...

Here we go again. :S

I think before anyone constantly critisizes packers for every little problem, they should spend some time in their shoes (or bare feet lol) and see how much abuse they take.