rapter

Dust Devils

I got caught by a dust devil at about 200 feet over the peas under a Paradactyl at the old Ghoulidge dz. For the next couple minutes I had absolutely no control over the canopy. Whirling and turning, I was lifted as high back up as 1500 feet, and toward the end was carving a turn at about 500 feet at a much faster clip than ever a dactyl did. As suddenly as it grabbed me, it spit me back out and went its way. I made a normal landing ... a mile and a half away from the peas. Sport Death

Single Keel or Double Keel DacTyl?? :P

When you jump a dactyl, try a dynamic stall and dynamic recovery ... you will get to see your parachute down below you ... do it up high. Its a fun parachute. I had 2000-plus jumps on mine when it finally wore out. It was a better alternative, at the time, to the SrtatoFlyer (AKA StratoHammer) and the Piglet I and IIs of the day.
Zing Lurks

I don't get it. Why would you give someone shit for making a safety call and not jumping in potentially dangerous conditions?

I really need to talk to Sangiro about implementing the flashing, 36-point-font [JOKE] tag.

It was a joke...an F5 tornado will take out a skyscraper and he's from Oklahoma where they have to dodge F5's all spring.

It's not quite that bad. I think the last F5 was the one that hit parts of Oklahoma City in 1999, but I could be wrong. If I remember right, that was the same storm system (but I don't think the same tornado) that deleted the outlet mall in Stroud (between OKC and Tulsa).

Also, don't say I'm _from_ Oklahoma - my parents aren't related! Right now I do _live in_ Oklahoma.

The good news is in OK there is nothing of value to damage...;)

Actually we like the big tornadoes. All of the debris from the destroyed buildings fills in the potholes in the roads (Football knows the city/county/state won't do it) and makes for smooth driving for a few months.

I grew up in Missouri and at one job there I worked with a lot of people from California. We got into the standard "I wouldn't live in California because of the earthquakes" vs "I wouldn't live in MIssouri because of the tornadoes" argument. I think the winning statement came from the Missouri side: "Is there a horn that goes off five minutes before the earthquake gets there?"

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Wuss. Come to Oklahoma and get your F5 rating. :)

Why don't you just show us pictures of you getting yours?:)

There's one picture right after exit, but then the winds drove a twig right through the sensor on the digital camera and trashed it.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

do it up high

The quote from the manual that came with the canopy:

"WARNING; ALL PRACTICING SHOULD BE ABOVE 2000 FEET"

so you could chop if the canopy didn't re-inflate!

BSBD

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Thought they were funny in the desert. Not so funny when your under canopy. Canopy ride was at least twice as long. Once we landed I didn't want to say anything for fear of sounding like a pussy untill one of the tandem masters said he thought he was gonna die. That helped put it in perspective.