MikeTJumps

Upcoming USPA Election

This just in from USPA's HQ:
ELECTION. The next step of the election process is underway and copies of bio forms and personal statements of those who met the September 11th deadline for inclusion in the magazine have been sent to the nominations & elections committee for their review and correction, if necessary. Thirteen individuals are running for national director, only one region – Southern – has more than one candidate, and two regions are without candidates – Southeast and Gulf.
This is absolutely pathetic! I know that Todd Spillers was collecting signatures for the Gulf Region, but I don't know why he isn't listed (yet). I put in for a national slot. For my position statement, please see the attached word file.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

Thirteen individuals are running for national director, only one region – Southern – has more than one candidate, and two regions are without candidates – Southeast and Gulf.

This is absolutely pathetic!

I'm assuming you are referring to the large number of uncontested positions? I think there was some discussion on this a while ago - this thread had some of it but I'm not sure if it's the one I'm remembering. You yourself had part of the answer, I think... I know a couple of jumpers who would probably do a decent job but who don't have an extra 100-150 jump tickets in their pockets or another week of vacation at work. That's not the only reason but I think that's a significant part of it.

On a slightly different note, there was a forum created specifically for the last election; do you feel it would be helpful to have something like that again?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

Yes, the lack of interest/participation is pathetic in that there is only one two-candidate slate and two non-candidate slates. This is one of the reasons why I hope to push for a very specific proxy to change the By-Laws so that more participation is possible by removing some of the the hurdles that people have to jump through to offer themselves as candidates.

I'm also very upset that my friend, Todd Spillers, is not listed as a Gulf Region candidate. I know that he collected signatures and I specifically put myself up for a national position so as to not split our region's vote between us. Hopefully, he'll have a write-in campaign again; this time winning it. The Gulf Region was not well represented by the last two elected directors who only served one term and were put up as candidates for the Gulf Region position.
Mike Turoff

Mike,

What is pathetic is that regardless of how many positions are contested on the ballot they will be decided by less then 10% of the membership. Sad.[:/]

Hi Sparky

The "Sport" of skydiving has changed, and maybe USPA needs to change with it.

There could be lots of reasons why there aren't many canidates running for office, or only 10% of the USPA membership voteing.

IMO the GMDZ's are USPA, the rateing program is for the benifit of the GMDZ's, their employee's and the farm team.

R.I.P.

IMO the GMDZ's are USPA, the rateing program is for the benifit of the GMDZ's, their employee's and the farm team.

I tend to agree. USPA is no longer an organization representing the individual members. It has become a “trade association” for DZO’s. Things that are in the best interest of the buyer are not always in the best interest of the seller. Why would we as buyers what the sellers to represent us. jmo
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Me too.

It's time for the invasion of Fredericksburg.

It even sounds patriotic . . .

We stage a para-coup.

We'll install Sparky as President, Bill Von in charge of Safety and Training and I'll do the magazine – which I'm re-naming "Sky-Boy!"

NickD :)BASE 194

What is pathetic is that regardless of how many positions are contested on the ballot they will be decided by less then 10% of the membership. Sad.[:/]

I've been a member of USPA for a couple of years now, and I've never figured out how to vote in the elections. I'd definitely do it if I knew how.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I've been a member of USPA for a couple of years now, and I've never figured out how to vote in the elections. I'd definitely do it if I knew how.

I am interested too; the previous elections were held before I became a member, but I'd like to vote in the upcoming elections. I just took a fairly extensive look at the USPA's Web site and I can't find anything about the election process on there. There are a couple of mentions that the BOD is elected by the membership, and lists of the current members, but nothing on the elections. I suspect the answer is "it's in Parachutist" but I haven't looked there yet. I find the lack of information on the Web site... "interesting".

Eule

The USPA Governance Manual is available as a pdf file: http://www.uspa.org/publications/manuals.pdf/Gov.Man.April06.pdf.

Ballots are printed in Parachutist and IIRC are also available for download. That hasn't happened yet because we're only just past the filing deadline.

Mark

For the people that do not know about the elections:
The ballot is printed and published on the USPA web site in the Nov. issue of Parachutist.

You can vote for up to 8 ND and a RD where your residence is. The address used to determine your region is where your magazine is sent.
Outside the US and Puerto Rico are considered 'foreign'. These members may vote for one RD in one region at their discretion.
Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

The USPA Governance Manual is available as a pdf file: [....]

The ballot is printed and published on the USPA web site in the Nov. issue of Parachutist.

So, it _is_ on the Web site, but you have to dig around for it. I realize that we're sort of in the middle of the process, but I still think it wouldn't hurt the turnout/participation if the USPA had some information about it on the "News" or "Events" page of their site, or even on its own tab. Just the little blurb that MikeT posted originally would be good, possibly along with something like "the next step is [whatever], which will happen around [some date]".

Eule

So, it _is_ on the Web site, but you have to dig around for it. I realize that we're sort of in the middle of the process, but I still think it wouldn't hurt the turnout/participation if the USPA had some information about it on the "News" or "Events" page of their site, or even on its own tab. Just the little blurb that MikeT posted originally would be good, possibly along with something like "the next step is [whatever], which will happen around [some date]".

Eule

Send your comment to USPA. Having worked there years ago, I do know that they listen to member input. If anyone out there isn't happy with something they are doing, voice your opinion to USPA Headquarters. Take action!

Eule

See these links that show that USPA has added the election info to the web site

News Page
Election Page

Come Nov 1, 2006 USPA will have election info and a link to the ballot on their web site.
HQ has been tasked with this and I am confident that they will do it.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hi Mike T

Thirteen individuals are running for national director, only one region – Southern – has more than one candidate, and two regions are without candidates – Southeast and Gulf.

Lets see out of the 13 people running for ND 8 will be elected/reelected. and the exiting RD's are running unopposed:|

Assuming the figure of 10% voter turnout that someone quoted is correct Thats 3K uspa members voting for 8 ND slots. I'm guessing (fuzzy math) that means that a person with NLT 375 votes will be a ND[:/]

So if my assumptions are correct, USPA ND can be elected into office by 1% of the USPA membership:o

Got any figures from past elections regarding the minimum number votes it took to win a ND slot?

Has anyone been elected into a ND slot as a write in candidate???

This is absolutely pathetic!

[:/][:/][:/]

R.I.P.

As other people have stated to you, you get to vote for up to 8 NDs. An ND usually gets more than 1,000 votes. B.J. Worth has traditionally gotten the highest vote count in most elections.

Mike Mullins won election as a write-in candidate in the ND slot four years ago.

Rattle the bushes! Get out and get people to vote!
Mike Turoff

So if my assumptions are correct, USPA ND can be elected into office by 1% of the USPA membership:o

Got any figures from past elections regarding the minimum number votes it took to win a ND slot?

USPA Election History

Usually it takes +1000 votes to become a ND.

Hi Jan;)

Me bad wrong rules.[:/]

So based on your numbers which i don't doubt:) It only takes approx 3% of USPA membership to elect a ND.

BTW didn't you get elected ND as a write in canidate the same year as Mr Mullins.B|

R.I.P.

Hi Jan;)

Me bad wrong rules.[:/]

So based on your numbers which i don't doubt:) It only takes approx 3% of USPA membership to elect a ND.

BTW didn't you get elected ND as a write in canidate the same year as Mr Mullins.B|

R.I.P.

Low percentages look bad, but that may not be the whole story. It would be even worse if we had a high percentage of members voting, who had not done their research and then placed people back in office who may have done a poor job.

Perhaps a thread is in order on which National Candidates should be re-elected and why. With the membership decline, it is more important than ever that we "get it right".

Ed