boxman-chick

Wind Tunnel Good Idea??

I did my IAF Level I (same as AFF Level IV from what I understand) last weekend. It was way cool and very different from jumping progressive tandems first.
I potato chipped some, which screwed up my diveflow ( got a little scared) but was able to finish my PCRPs, wave off and pull. My canopy ride was good, except my landing, should of flared a second or two sooner, so my butt is still sore.
I live not too far from Las Vegas and the wind tunnel there and am thinking of going to try and practice in it this weekend. I think it would help my stability and future all around freefall. Do you guys agree?

--------------

Vegas is of marginal help. I know of one jumper who managed to pass AFF by going there, but in general it's going to be tough to learn anything with the small column of air and the balloon suit you'll have to wear. If possible, get to the Perris tunnel - better coaching and much better air. If not, the Vegas tunnel is better than nothing.

I think some tunnle time (either Orlando or Perris) is GREAT for students. I did it and it moved me from being a strugeling student to blowign through all my student stuff with no problem. It rocks!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I have been in both the Perris and Vegas wind tunnels. I agree that Vegas would be of minimal help. That being said, I think Perris would help greatly.

My fiancee' went to the Perris tunnel after failing her AFF level 2 dive. She did 10 minutes, broken up into 5 2-minute sessions with a coach. She also got a video tape. When you look at the first 2 minutes on the tape, you see a lot of stability problems, while the last 2 minutes show a large improvement. After doing the tunnel time, she got through the rest of AFF without a rejump.

With more than 900 jumps, I did some time in the Perris tunnel a few months ago. I definitely think it improved my flying.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

I also endorse the Perris wind tunnel for additional training during AFF... my brother did the tunnel at Perris during AFF, he said it helped out a lot.

I can't wait until a) SDAZ builds theirs or b) I can get out to use the one in Perris. :)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

as has already been said ... but I'll add my first hand experience .. SKIP VEGAS the air sucks the clown suit is nothing like a jumpsuit, and um.. the coaching (from my experience) was all but pointless

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Sue, I will tell you that I would not be a skydiver today if I hadn't gone to the wind tunnel as a student.

I was struggling big time and ready to give up at any moment. The wind tunnel gave me confidence, and most importantly, made me RELAXED during a skydive. Since the day that I came out of that wind tunnel, I never had any major issues as a student in the air. It became my home.

Go to the tunnel (a real one if possible).

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Everybody puts down the Vegas tunnel cuz the Perris tunnel has wall to wall air, but since you live near Vegas I would say go for the Vegas tunnel. When I got stuck on my level 4 jump the Perris tunnel was not yet finished so I went to Vegas and did coached sessions. For just learning to be stable the Vegas tunnel is fine. And the general manager. Keith is an awesome coach. If you opt for the Vegas tunnel tell Keith that Evelyn says hi.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I know of one jumper who managed to pass AFF by going there,

Yeah, me! :)
All wind tunnels have something to offer. The tunnel in Vegas can teach you how to get stable. It can also teach you to move forward and back - in fact, you will be forced to learn those things in order to fly in it. In this respect, I think it may be better for students than some other tunnels. Because it requires you to stay in the middle, you have to work hard to keep flying, and you learn subtle body positioning to do it. You can also learn fall rate - going up and down in the same place.

But Bill is right - for most experienced skydivers, it's not a good tunnel. Also, you have to wear their suits, unless you are really good. I tried it with my regular free-fly suit, and it took 100% effort just to get enough surface area to float, so I couldn't maneuver at all. Wearing bulky suits isn't anything like your normal skydives, but you can at least learn the basics of body position. The thing that disappointed me the most about the Vegas tunnel is the price. I pay $10/minute for block time, which is close to other tunnel prices. Considering that the other tunnels have more powerful engines and laminar air flow, it should cost less.

But if you happen to be in Vegas, it's a good place to practice. At least, in my opinion.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Thank you riddler and the rest of you for your reply(s).
I hope I do as well as you did.
I did go to Perris this weekend. It's not much further than Vegas from me and after weighing the pros and cons, I decited on Perris.
11 min. was what I could afford and I hope it will help me. I jump again this Sunday. I learned to fly forward, backward, control my fall rate and polish off my turns. It really was a blast. The instructors were very helpful. I have my 7 min. on Sunday on video and watching it should help me to make future corrections.
I jump at a small DZ, where the vibes and family atmosphere are priceless, but Perris is something to see... Skydiver Mecca.