leepenrose

Weight limit

Ultimately, it's entirely dependant on the TSO'd maximum suspended weight of the reserve parachute and harness/container system. That, and the availability at your local dropzones of such "big-guy" rigs. There are several people who frequent these forums who did their AFF at exit weights above 300 pounds. You need only find the dropzones with the capability to accomodate you. What is your body type and weight, by the way?

Chuck Blue
AFF-I (among other things)

No weight limit in relation to size, however there is a weight limit the gear will hold. Ask your DZ about what that weight limit is. For our DZ, it's 100kg (220 lbs), some DZ's have a slightly lower limit or a higher one if they have special gear.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

At Netheravon its 92kg @ 6' 2" and about 4kg per inch so you could possibly get away with 108kg assuming that the equipment will hold that. Most UK dropzones have a weight limit based on height as well as a max for the equipt.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

At Netheravon its 92kg @ 6' 2" and about 4kg per inch so you could possibly get away with 108kg assuming that the equipment will hold that. Most UK dropzones have a weight limit based on height as well as a max for the equipt.

What does that convert to in good ole pounds and ounces?

Not strictly true. There is an overall weight limit, but height is taken into account to calculate the BMI (body mass index). People who have a higher BMI are statistically more likely to injure themselves on landing, and this is made clear to the students. Some DZs do have BMI limits though.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Some DZs do have BMI limits though.

That's crap! According to my BMI I'm morbidly obese. I won't say that I'm in the best shape, but I'm not close to being morbidly obese. I'm also no where near being so out of shape that I couldn't safely jump. So being 6'1" and 250lbs would mean that at those DZs I wouldn't be able to jump.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks all for your replies:)I am 6ft 5 and weigh 215.6 pounds slim build .
Looking at your replys i guess need to find a DZ that has the correct gear for my weight.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Every school should be able to handle a 215 pound student, since the vast majority of parachutes are certified to a maximum suspended weight of 254 pounds.

According to my BMI I'm morbidly obese. I won't say that I'm in the best shape, but I'm not close to being morbidly obese. I'm also no where near being so out of shape that I couldn't safely jump. So being 6'1" and 250lbs would mean that at those DZs I wouldn't be able to jump.

I believe that according to the BMI, that basketball player guy that won all them big game thingeys is morbidly obese too.

Jeezzzz, what is his name?

Oh yeah, Michael Jordan...

Thanks all for your replies:)I am 6ft 5 and weigh 215.6 pounds slim build .
Looking at your replys i guess need to find a DZ that has the correct gear for my weight.

What Country/State/City are you in?

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

People who have a higher BMI are statistically more likely to injure themselves on landing, and this is made clear to the students.

Was this actually proven *statistically* or did someone simply take the true adage that the heavier you are, the worse a bad landing hurts and gussy it up?

Nah it's not made up, there's been a bit of research on the subject, at least I've seen several abstracts. Not so much in terms of parachute landings specifically but overall slightly more likely to injure themselves at all, and much more likely to suffer ill consequences and complications of injuries after they are injured.

And ISTR it goes backwards for skinny folk too, people with low BMI are less accident injury prone, statistically speaking.

There's been recent research that suggests waist-hip ratio is better at predicting ill-health due to obesity, but I don't know that waist-hip ratio has been studied in the context of overall injury rates.

links I found in a cursory search:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=16997162
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/briefs/obesity/hb041105c.htm
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/obeshurt.htm

Think about it...your feet don't get any bigger and you don't get any more bones as you gain weight. Your stance doesn't get wider, yet your inertia increases.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

where i did aff i think the weight limit is 250 and the gear i used surely could have had fit someone 7ft tall im 6.1 and had to snug everything up to the piont it wouldnt go anymore
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak