GPSJane

Very large rig to fit very large person

Has anyone ever heard of really large rigs being made for students? The father of one of my skydiving friends wants to skydive but the student canopies are too small. The limit is 100kg and he weighs about 115kg.

But he could jump if he just had a big enough canopy. I know he could jump a 250 sq ft eventually but he needs something large enough for the progression. What is the wing loading for a first-time student on a 290 sq ft anyway?
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

This has been discussed a lot - try a search...

I am not quite sure what a kg is, but I have seen more than one person loose 50+ pounds to get through the student program.

Is it possible to loose 15kg?

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

1 kg = 2.2 lb

This guy is not fat. He's a BIG guy. I don't think he can lose enough, that's the whole problem. I think we discussed that option already.

I did a search now and ended up wading through piles of unrelated stuff - probably using the wrong search terms. Will carry on looking.
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

This year Skydive Chicago had a graduate who had a custom "big-boy" rig built out of various parts that he bought here and there. To be honest I don't know the details, however if you were to call up ParaConcepts and ask for Kirk or Betsy Smith, I believe they were the master riggers involved in making everything happen safely and professionally.

ParaConcepts
Phone Number 1-815-434-6094
Fax Number 1-815-434-6095
General Email [email protected]
Technical Email [email protected]
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

A Falcon 300 main is approved for 110 kg students here in Denmark. I'm just not sure what kind of reserve we have in that rig back at the DZ...
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

What is the wing loading for a first-time student on a 290 sq ft anyway?

That depends on their exit weight. B|

Manufacturer recommendations vary with manuf. and size (see their websites); for 254 lbs, both Flight Concepts (ZP Manta) and PD (Navigator) state min 260 sq ft. This strikes me as an absolute minimum. Big is beautiful B|
Johan.
I am. I think.