nikejumper

1st Jump with my own rig

So how many jumps do you actually intend on doing in this rental gear downsize progression? :ph34r: :P

I will only buy this gear if it passes our riggers evaluation. And I plan on making as many jumps as I need to on the rental gear to be able to handle the stiletto. I'm not gonna jump it until I my coaches and I feel that I am ready to jump it. B| Thanks for the input fellas!;)
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

my body weight is 185 or so out the plane im 215 or so. I'm flyin a 210 spectre @ little over 1:1, container is nice and small, very comfortable, and the canopy is quite fast, and extremely responsive. more than I know what to do with yet. paid right @ 4000 for it .
could have gotten a really nice rig with a brand new sabre2 170 in it for about half the price.
I guess it would be realistic to say that I will be under a 170 one day. but whats the point, why jump all kind of rental gear till then, besides with that crapolla you never know what youll end up with.

I know you are on safe gear but I am sure you will want to down size pretty soon yourself.

Just got my first rig too.Very exciting.But where I'm from, rental rigs are expensive.Me personally in the number of jumps it would take to down size like you're talking x the price of rental per jump, would end up getting me close enough to the price of buying suitable gear to begin with.Don't know what it costs to rent where you're at.But have you considered the cost in the long run?
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you are on safe gear but I am sure you will want to down size pretty soon yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think I follow your reasoning bro, downsize to what? for what?

I bought a brand new container, that was built exactly for me, the thing fits like a glove, its so comfortable I can barely tell I have a rig on. its small, and I got to pick the colors. $1,400 with all options avail.

it was made to fit my 210 spectre snugly, I can fit a 190 possibly a bit smaller in it no problem.

my main canopy is brand new, and the smallest i've piloted yet. the smallest being a (f-111) 215 falcon several times. but last 10 or so jumps I was under a 240 navgator w/zero-p topskin. basicly because to me it seemed the nav. was a more responsive canopy, with a much more powerful flare. I learned more about canopy control and landing on that thing than coming in blazing smashing in to the ground on the 215.

that being said, for my first canopy I've already downsized, when I develop the skills to squezze every last bit of speed and perfomance out of that thing, then perhaps I might want to downsize again, which my container will allow me to do so, and still fit me like a glove.

should I choose to progress past the 190 range several hundred jumps from now I will then have several options, keep that rig so that I will always have a somewhat docile canopy for whatever reason I choose, and buy exactly what I want because by then I will have a better understanding of the performance characteristics that work to tailor my style.

as for the 210 who knows I paid $1,300 brand new out the box nice looking canopy (bla,yel,bla,yel,bla,blu,bla) very unique. if I put 200 jumps on it and take care of it I shouldnt have a problem getting $800-$900 for it, or who knows that might be my docile canopy, i,m already slightly over 1:1 on it.
I had a bad spot my second jump on it and was glad I had it. everybody on the load myself included rode the rears and barely made it. I had enough space to turn it into the wind and land safely on the airport, had I been a knucklehead buying the smallest canopy I came across, or somebody was trying to push down my throat, who knows, the trees maybe, downwind in 10mph winds, lot of dirty jumpsuits that day. mine wasnt one of em.

downsize away my 13 jump friend, and good luck, hope you make it to become an excellent canopy pilot.

BSBD.....
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

The fact that you have a high performance canopy sitting in the closet, and you chomping at the bit to get at it with only 13 jumps; and that you are questioning some ones conservative canopy progression really makes me scratch my head. [:/]

You say you are going to defer to your instructors about your canopy flight and sizing, but have you even been listening to them up to this point??? B|

I am far far far from a safety expert, and maybe I am just interpreting what your posting the wrong way, but take it slow and be careful. We both have thousands of jumps to go if we don't cut corners.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

You guys all make great points here. I have several options as I see it.
A) Return the rig when it arrives
B) Buy the rig but trade/sell the stiletto for a more docile canopy
C) Buy the rig and put it in the closet for a while

I am leaning towards option B right now. But if my instructors tell me to return the rig I will. At least I have options!

Thanks for all the input guys, I really do appreciate it.

You say you are going to defer to your instructors about your canopy flight and sizing, but have you even been listening to them up to this point???

Yes I have, I have started on the 280, went down to the 260, then the 240. Now they want me on the 230. I have demonstrated great canopy skills so far and have a wonderful time under each canopy. All my landings have been awesome. :ph34r:

You guys all make great points here. I have several options as I see it.
A) Return the rig when it arrives
B) Buy the rig but trade/sell the stiletto for a more docile canopy
C) Buy the rig and put it in the closet for a while

C is almost never a good choice. Really -- it burns a hole in your closet.
B only works if the reserve is a reasonable size (i.e. bigger than the main that's in it). You don't want to be downsizing for your first reserve ride, do you?

When you ask for advice on canopy sizes, talk to the oldest instructor you can. Because there's a reason they're old and still jumping, and it usually has something to do with judgment :P. Well, OK, maybe not that, but you get the drift.

If you go to the Canopy and Swooping forum, you can see Skymonkey1 talking about how too many people are trying to learn on canopies that are too small. Jump a canopy that will let you make mistakes and survive them, and then you can try much more radical stuff. And survive it.

You've heard the saying "if you never screw up you're not trying hard enough." Well, don't use a canopy that will hurt you seriously or kill you if you screw up. Really. You want to be able to screw up, because it's by pushing the envelope that you'll learn best.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Its just awesome having all your own stuff come home from work and look at my rig and Im like ya buddy only 3 more days till jump time then Im like oh man 3 more days till jump time...

If anyone was wondering I just got/bought a javelin j-3 with a Fury 200 (7 cell) its freaken sweeeet. I dont really notice a big difference between the 7 and 9 cells but to each his own. I LOVE MY RIG!!!

Jeff
Is it saturday yet?

option D) see if the rig will fit a 210

Look in the classified and see if you can find a used entry level canopy like the Sabre 2, Pilot, Safire 2, or similar. Then check with someone at Skydance and/or the rig manufacturer to see if it'll fit in the rig.

I used to weigh about 205 without gear, and put my first 250 jumps on a 215 sq. ft. main. Of course, the reserve should also be an adequate size. If you want you could try and sell the Stiletto.

Personally, I put a few jumps on a Stiletto and found it a fun canopy to fly but not the best for swooping since the front riser pressure is very high and the recovery arc is short. It is very twichy and responsive to input, and demands more attention during opening. But some people still like them.

Have fun, be safe. Land conservatively, especially after downsizing. If you're not bored and comfortable on your current size canopy, you're probably not ready to downsize. Rental $ adds up quick, so find something you're ready to jump soon. If you own it, you're going to want to jump it now.