DougH

In air maneuvers, can a rated coach sign off?

Hey all. I can't seem to find this in my sim so maybe some one else can answer this questions for me.

For each license class there is either in air maneuvers that must be completed in a listed time, or you have to do a number of successful jumps.

For the B I think it is 10 successful group sky dives, I assume 3way or more, or a check dive of a Left 360, Right 360, back-flip, Left 360, Right 360, back-flip in 18 seconds.

Does some one with an instructor rating have to conduct the in air test, or can a coach sign off? I know a coach can sign off on the A license sheets.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

There isn't an in air "test" for the higher licenses. Go do the jump(s), log them and have the logbook entry signed by a witness. On the license application you'll note the jump number(s) on which you met the requirement(s). An instructor (or S&TA/BOD member for the D) has to initial the boxes on the license application but does not have to be on the jumps.

"SIM 3-1 (C)

3. Jumps to meet skill requirements must be signed by a USPA Instructor, Instructor Examiner, Safety & Training Advisor, or a member of the USPA Board of Directors."

So technically an instructor (or others from above) has to sign the jump itself (in the logbook)... but I've never seen that rule enforced. But to sign it, the instructor doesn't necessarily need to witness the jump, he just has to trust that the person actually did it.

Dave

There isn't an in air "test" for the higher licenses.

I thought there was according to the SIM, from section 3:1

B License

2. Persons holding a USPA B license are able to exercise all privileges of an A-license holder, perform night jumps, with 100 jumps are eligible for the USPA Coach Rating, and must have-

a. obtained a USPA A license

b. completed 50 jumps including:

(1) accumulated at least 30 minutes of controlled freefall time

(2) landed within ten meters of target center on ten jumps

c. aerial performance requirements, either:

(1) demonstrated the ability to perform individual maneuvers (left 360, right 360, backloop, left 360, right 360, backloop) in freefall in 18 seconds or less
(2) or successful completion of the planned formation(s) on ten group freefall jumps

d. documentation of live water landing training with full equipment in accordance with the procedures in the Skydiver's Information Manual

e. passed a written exam conducted by a current USPA I, I/E, S&TA, or USPA Board member.

I don't have the 10 "successful" group dives because I have been doing mostly 2ways with my partner in order to train for the collegiate comp, but I know I can easily do the in air stuff the SIM asks for. I have more than 10 group skydives, but they were a bit ambitious, and I think only 7 or 8 went exactly to plan. :S
=P

You have to do a style series (that's what doing left 360, right 360, backloop, left 360, right 360, backloop used to be called), but as far as I can tell - and as far as I've seen in actual practice - there is no requirement that an instructor be in-air observing you while you do it.

I have more than 10 group skydives, but they were a bit ambitious, and I think only 7 or 8 went exactly to plan.

There is no requirement that the group skydives go as planned.

They have to be planned and successful, otherwise every blown to shit dive would count.

As long as two ways counts I have way more than 10, I have done about 25 jumps with my partner and we manage to turn at least a couple points on each one. :)
=P

They have to be planned and successful...

Whaaa? Skydives can be both planned AND successful?
Now that's a novel idea! I gotta try one..they must be fun!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239