Catz

New & Multiple Questions

I am going to get into skydiving and have a ton of questions. First off my long term goals are to be proficient enough to do wingsuit base jumps. However I know it will take a while to get to that point. I plan on getting a clas A certification and then skydiving at least every other weekend for a year. Then buying a wingsuit and skydive with it for a year. Then take the wingsuit to a wind tunnel. Then finally find someone experienced to coach me in the wingsuit base jumps.

Questions:
1.Are some chutes are made specifically for beginners?
2.Can I buy a chute that I can use from the beginning all the way to the base jump stage?
3.How do you really know what brands of chutes are the best?
4.I found zero books on skydiving or base jumping at my local Boarders and Barns and Nobel. Any recommendations?
5.Any recommendations on good beginner DVD's?
6.What skydiving mag should I suscribe to? Are there any base jumping magazines? I'm assuming there are a lot of adds for gear in them?
7. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.
Zachri Catz - Reno, NV
There is no spoon.

Huh you sound pretty determined going for wingsuit base before you even have done a skydive (I suppose).

To answer part of your questions, yes there are student canopies (big / docile / forgiving). But skydiving and base jumping are different in equipment used, though you can practice some skills for your later base career. You CAN use one canopy from beginning to the point where you (supposedly) are ready to base jump, but for actual base jumping you should get specific equipment.

Do you mind if I ask what is your motivation for going after ws base? Maybe some video? ;)

I think you will learn alot of things along your skydiving training and it doesn't make sense to buy any major equipment until you finished your training and have more understanding.

Also, think twice about the base part. Have at least someone show you a video of some base-jumping gone bad to learn about the other side of the coin.

I don't know you, maybe when you stand in the door of the airplane the first time you may decide that skydiving is exciting enough for the moment.

Or not. Anyway, welcome :)

for books and videos check out paragear or square 1. they are some of the larger gear stores that carry skydiving and base vids.

when you join the USPA your membership fee includes a suscription to Parachutist magazine. lots of ads for gear.

there's info on buying gear and gear reviews here. see the links at the top of the page.

check out the base wiki page, and the base section of these forums for more info and links related to base gear.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Go to your local USPA DZ and make a tanedm skydive, this is the quickest and easiest way to experience parachuting.

This will give you a good indicator if skydiving is going to be for you or not.

Believe it or not, many who think they want to get into the sport make their initial jump and find that it is not really for them.

Good luck...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

1. Go to dropzone.
2. Jump.
3. Goto 1.

In time, you'll learn all you asked about here, and more. At your current level, much of it isn't all that important. Better to save the space in your head for learning the stuff that'll keep you alive :P.

In terms of skydiving books for beginners, there's a couple available - Jump! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy comes highly recommended. It's available from Amazon.com and from Skydiving Magazine.

Welcome to the sport :)

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I will deffinetely sign up for the USPA and call a DZ close to me and talk with them (2hrs away). I should note that I have done two tandem skydives (Davis, CA). I have zero fear of hights and in fact I find them to make me feel extremely relaxed. The first time I did a tandem jump was around 10years ago. All my friends chickend out, so I ended up going by myself. The instructor noticed I was yawning on the plane ride up and took my pulse and was surprised it was normal. The acceleration was the coolest part of the first tandem jump. I really liked it and I'm sure my pulse raised on the way down. Then I went back two years later with my new wife and did it again. I was totaly bored the second time. I'm sure if I was jumping solo I would enjoy it more.

I recently saw a video on www.jet-man.com and pray that there is a version of that wing to buy 5 or 10 years down the road and I'd like to be ready. Then I saw this video of a wingsuit base jump and it is all I have thought about for the last few weeks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szK0yo2mrI

The thought of actually flying has me hooked. I know it is dangerous but I think being able to fly like that is worth the risk. For over 15 years I have been involed with sportbikes and have seen alot of my friends die or get seriously injured, so I know what that is about. I even broad sidded a car myself at an impact speed of 50mph, 3 years ago and thought for a few seconds I was toast. Luckily I flew over the car and had minimal injuries due to the full saftey gear I was wearing. That was the closest thing I remember to flying for a hundred feet or so.
There is no spoon.

Well then, sounds like skydiving is for you then…

Have fun making your first solo and welcome to the sky!

P.S. I road raced for many years and lost a lot of
friends during the process too - sell your bike and buy a good rig. Skydiving is as much of if not more than the 2 wheel rush and way way WAY safer... As an instructor, bike riders are really easy to transition to freefall, cuz you already are accustomed to relaxing in high intensity situations, just have to fix dem hips!

Have fun!!!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

In addition to all the other good answers, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of my book JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy. It was published by McGraw-Hill in 2003 to answer questions such as yours. Another good book is The Skydivers Handbook. Both are available from most booksellers, including Amazon.com.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Well then, sounds like skydiving is for you then…

Have fun making your first solo and welcome to the sky!

P.S. I road raced for many years and lost a lot of
friends during the process too - sell your bike and buy a good rig. Skydiving is as much of if not more than the 2 wheel rush and way way WAY safer... As an instructor, bike riders are really easy to transition to freefall, cuz you already are accustomed to relaxing in high intensity situations, just have to fix dem hips!

Have fun!!!

Neato man! I just posted in another thread about making the pilot to jumper transition, but I'm also making the road racer to jumper transition as well. I've been racing middleweight superbike for the last couple years here until I finally turned my R6 into a complete paperweight. I kinda decided to try something new since I haven't been racing, so skydiving it is. Just hope this isn't quite so expensive!

-Alex
SMRI Expert #189
Less talking, more flying.

I was looking at those two books as well as the book "Skyflying, Wingsuits in Motion".

As far as the wind tunnel thing and the list of things to do, I was guessing and pulled it out of the research file in my a_s. The idea I had was that it would allow me to perfect very small direction changes. In a wind tunnel I thought it would be easier to gauge how far I was moving in any direction as opposed to in the sky where there are no fixed objects. However now after thinking about it, I think that the wingsuit may just fly me straight into the wall :S
There is no spoon.

Just hope this isn't quite so expensive!

It is...

Figured so.... Why does all the fun stuff have to cost so much? B|:(

On that note, it might be worth it to mention that your potential for success greatly depends on how much money you throw at the activity, in conjunction with personal will/ motivation. As always. Just so happens jumping uses airplanes, which require a lot of it.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=506

First learn how to skydive and live, and then get good at it. Also focus on learning to track very well. After at least a few hundred jumps within 18 months learn how to fly a wingsuit. Learn all you can about canopy flight and gear. Get good at canopy flight, accuracy, and still air exits. Then learn how to BASE jump. After at least 50 BASE jumps and 50 wingsuit skydives, put the two together. Go ahead and fly in a wind tunnel, but don't bring the wingsuit. It's been done, but I don't think it'll help you.

1.Yes there are beginner parachutes that will be provided for you during AFF. After you get through that then start thinking about picking up a suitable used rig.

2.You should use skydiving gear to skydive, and BASE gear to BASE jump. You'll probably want to change skydiving canopies a few times after you get bored with the old one.

3.By trying them out for yourself.

4,5.Go to a skydiving gear store.

6.Parachutist (included with USPA membership) and Skydiving. There aren't any current US BASE only mags that I know of, but Skydiving has a good amount of BASE coverage.

7.Learn one new thing at a time once you are ready. Only do one new discipline at a time until you are good at it. Only use one new piece of equipment at a time until you're good at using it. There are some good articles on this website and a lot of junk in the forums with some good info hidden among it. Go learn to skydive, and talk with the experienced people about new things before you try them or buy them. Have fun.

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I will deffinetely sign up for the USPA and call a DZ close to me and talk with them (2hrs away). I should note that I have done two tandem skydives (Davis, CA). I have zero fear of hights and in fact I find them to make me feel extremely relaxed. The first time I did a tandem jump was around 10years ago. All my friends chickend out, so I ended up going by myself. The instructor noticed I was yawning on the plane ride up and took my pulse and was surprised it was normal. The acceleration was the coolest part of the first tandem jump. I really liked it and I'm sure my pulse raised on the way down. Then I went back two years later with my new wife and did it again. I was totaly bored the second time. I'm sure if I was jumping solo I would enjoy it more.

I recently saw a video on www.jet-man.com and pray that there is a version of that wing to buy 5 or 10 years down the road and I'd like to be ready. Then I saw this video of a wingsuit base jump and it is all I have thought about for the last few weeks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szK0yo2mrI

The thought of actually flying has me hooked. I know it is dangerous but I think being able to fly like that is worth the risk. For over 15 years I have been involed with sportbikes and have seen alot of my friends die or get seriously injured, so I know what that is about. I even broad sidded a car myself at an impact speed of 50mph, 3 years ago and thought for a few seconds I was toast. Luckily I flew over the car and had minimal injuries due to the full saftey gear I was wearing. That was the closest thing I remember to flying for a hundred feet or so.

Hey Catz - How far are you from Davis? I just did my AFF training in Lodi at The Parachute Center. Seems like we can find a DZ closer than 2 hours away for you.

Are you still into sportbikes and do you race? I'm familiar with the AFM. The two friends that I went through training with are racers in that organization.
Kneepuff
Girls just wanna have fuh hun!