n_s_simpson

Arrr, why can't I ever jump

The British weather is so frustrating!!!

I've not jumped since the beginning of January because of the weather (and going on holiday) and I'm really upset :(

Oh well, fingers crossed for next weekend.

Does anyone have access to a crystal ball that I can borrow?

Nick
New forum with unlimited uploads for all:
www.Love2SkyDive.co.uk

I'll loan you mine... it works quite reliably and works for anyone with an internet connection...

Just visit http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/TN27?x=0&post=TN27&code=code&y=0
Don't ever look further than two days... Now, how to interpret this? Well that part's easy too!

If it says the weather will be crap, it will be crap. If it says the weather will be good, it will be crap :ph34r: I'm seriously thinking about setting up a webcam on the weather brick at Headcorn because that is the only accurate way I've found to predict local weather.

In all seriousness though, I've only had one day jumping so far this year. I missed two glorious days in January due to being seriously ill, but things have been a bit scarce.

Fortunately I'm off to Empuriabrava this weekend, so hopefully I'll get some jumps in there. Not sure how busy they are in the week (never anyone on the webcams), but I'm hoping to start my FS1 on Friday :)

yeah the best weekend so far was 2 week ago and black knights were closed (no pilot). :S

I went down last weekend because the weather looked promising.

I think they should put a laundry room in our DZ so I can get that out of the way while I wait :D
New forum with unlimited uploads for all:
www.Love2SkyDive.co.uk

The British weather is so frustrating!!!

I've not jumped since the beginning of January because of the weather (and going on holiday) and I'm really upset :(

Oh dear.

Last jumpable day here (due to absence of airplanes, or weather) was in NOVEMBER.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Whoa! I feel less sad about the UK now...

How do you stay current with that kind of pattern ?

It's very common in Canuckistan and the northern US to have a winter layoff from jumping. (It's why I moved away. :P )
You just get recurrent in the beginning of the spring, starting out slowly (if you're smart) for the first day or 2 of jumping. Either that or you go to Wisconsin where they don't have the common sense not to jump in sub-zero weather. :ph34r: Anyhow, you get used to it.

I was just curious, more about the process than anything else...

I was going out to Spain late last year and was getting close to 60 days without jumping, and apparently there I would have had to do a written test and one solo jump to be 'current' again.

So I did what any self respecting person would do... took the next day off of work and put two jumps on before hitting the 60 day mark :)

Buy a Ryanair ticket to Emp'..... even for a weekend!!

I'm sure that you'll love it.... we did.

[apologies for hijacking here]
Funny story - my flight leaves on Thursday at 06:45 :D

How busy are they normally in the week ? Do you know if I'm likely to start my FS1 training on Friday or if we'll have to wait for Saturday to fill loads ?

Cool..... we caught that flight the 1st time we went... gives you loads of time to jump.

Sorry, I can't say how busy now, but we went november and january and therfe was stull a buzz about the place. Still loads of lifts (about 15 or so a day). They put on 2 a/cs if they need them.

Have fun.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm sure this flight does give you loads of time to jump. I'm equally sure that I'll need the first jump just to wake up after leaving the house at 03:30 :D

I'm mainly interested in how busy they get in the week... I'm sure they go like mad on the weekends :)

I'm hoping to get around 6 lifts a day because that would get my FS1 sorted before I come home and then I can stop jumping by myself all the time :D

Would ya like some cheese with that whine?

At least you can jump when the weather gets better. I haven't jumped since October and I likely won't be able to jump at all this year, if ever again. [:/]

Ok, there has to be a story here...GIVE IT UP
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

You guys should go back to a practice you used during WW II.

Needing to train large numbers of Paratroopers and not being able to wait on the WX, the Brits anchored balloons inside huge blimp hangars and did static line jumps 24/7 . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Ok, there has to be a story here...GIVE IT UP

No big story. I've got one or more bulging/ruptured discs in my neck and I'm not willing to risk paralysis for a skydive.

Having been through ruptured discs and a fusion surgery in my lower back, I already know how much time has to pass before anything medical happens to improve the situation (other than drugs, but those don't improve things, they just mask the symptoms). I also have a pretty good idea of how long it will be after something medical finally happens to improve the situation before I can jump again.

Assuming of course that I'll be allowed to jump post-surgery...