yjumpinoz

Nascar demo

Yeah, but you must ask yourself, what's worse? You, or I, getting shut out or allowing every "Flying Elbow" out there to mow spectators down . . . ?

Besides, we were just trying to keep you "out-of-towners" from horning in . . . ;)

NickD :)BASE 194

And you know we've both seen this happen:

A demo organizer, due to illness or someone not showing up, needs a warm body in a hurry. So he grabs anyone with the card.

If anything goes wrong the organizer's ass is covered because the person had the card.

It's backasswards . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I see your point, BUT the rating and the Prof Card are designed to (in theory) hold ones feet to the fire.

I know every one I sign and send to the RD I take seriously. I mostly sign for Mil Teams and they have a good rep (the Nod if you will). When I sign for a Person I do not know, I some times piss them off, I actually stand and watch the pre declared landing and won't sign any other block on the card until they show me they have the skill and knowledge.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

NASCAR Jumps are not as easy as they used to be.

We now have to contend with the cable camera that zips around the front straight away area, the crane cameras, the crew camera and the 6 foot antenna they carry, the portable stage with 1000 + lucky pre-race concert fans, walk ways, canons, color guards, drivers and the 20+ person entourage, etc.

You don't have to contend with any of that when you miss the track completely.

Just to answer the original question, there were a few issues. A large part of the field taken up with difficult to see overhead wires. This was strongly explained and warned about. The landing areas is still good sized, just smaller. Winds were fine, 4-5 knots. 17 jumpers carrying flags, streamers, smoke and a crew stack. Then cloud cover at 2400 feet so we couldn't stack the openings much. All done on one jump run due to tight time constraints. We had one jumper off a crew stack have to bail for the space between the stands and the track because he wasn't sure he had space to clear the fence. No injuries at all.

In retrospect when then exit altitude dropped some of the showmanship should have been simplified. Blue Skies - Janna

Thanks for the answer. Been there done that. Had to land in a parking lot after some demo crew. I didn't mean to knock the landing out, but to hear what led up to the problem. Looked like a wise decision to me. A whole lot better than hooking it into an injury.

We had one jumper off a crew stack have to bail for the space between the stands and the track because he wasn't sure he had space to clear the fence. No injuries at all.

It's unfortunate that the jumper landing 'out' is focused on and not the job the other 16 did getting 'in'...but as we all know, that's demo jumping!

Bottom line.....no injuries at all. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You gotta be shittn' me! You must never have been to a race.....There are an equal amount if not more hazards outside the track,,,,50,000 cars , vendor semi's, hude tents, people, delivery carts, television production trucks,,,,,,:S[:/]>:(
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

You gotta be shittn' me! You must never have been to a race.....There are an equal amount if not more hazards outside the track,,,,50,000 cars , vendor semi's, hude tents, people, delivery carts, television production trucks,,,,,,:S[:/]>:(

There was a demo I did a few years ago at an amusement/water park. The landing site was the sand beach of the wave pool. There was just about NOTHING else that you could land on as an alternative, except go into the pool itself. :S The parking lot was jammed chock-full of cars, and maybe if you could, you could have lined up your approach to land in one of the aisles between parked cars. Anyway the beach was only 15 yards wide by 30 yards long, give or take. Hazards everywhere else. All of us managed to land on the beach. I took the US flag in and the other 3 flew M18 smoke grenades. It's the tightest pucker factor on a demo I've ever done.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

And none of those things would be cause to make you miss the track in the first place.