baseknut

First Rig

1) It had to fit the size canopy I wanted to buy. No exceptions there - I wasn't going to make a downsizing decision on what was available.
2) I really wanted something relatively new. I wanted the flexibility to be able to freefly if I wanted, so I didn't want an older rig that wasn't freefly friendly. There's no reason not to get older rigs if they check out okay with a rigger, it just wasn't a choice I wanted to make.
3) It had to fit me reasonably well without major mods. I lucked out and found a rig that was built for someone an inch taller than me, so the overall fit of the rig was solid. It had b-12 snaps, which I had replaced after a while, and I also had the chest strap lengthened since it was built for a guy and was pretty snug on me (what with the boobs and all). It fit, but putting a longer chest strap on allows me to loosen it under canopy.
4) Less important was that the colors not be completely hideous.

I wound up finding a Wings that was manufactured in 2003 and had only 10 jumps on it. Colors are quite neutral (black/gray/navy). It fit the canopy I wanted (tight, but a safe fit) and would allow me to downsize probably two sizes. It also came with a brand-new reserve (which had been packed once, never used). I believe I paid $1600 for both - not a bargain basement price, but I was happy - much less than new for basically new gear. Supply/demand played into it as well - I wanted a rig that would fit a Spectre 230 ... there's a lot less available at that end of the spectrum.

(Oh, and as the two posters above have mentioned ... I read those articles AND asked the advice of experienced riggers and my instructors).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I paid 3500 for a rig with three year old gear.
It included a new reserve, cypress 2, and a pilot with about 100 jumps on it.

The canopy was probably border line for me at the time with only 20 jumps but I got lucky with my roll of the dice and didn't get any injuries. I think it helped that I was staying very current and jumping almost every other day, some weeks getting 10+ jumps in. I had included my instructors in the process of buying the rig, and they were confident in my purchase.

I could have done it cheaper, and I could have done it safer for sure.

In the end I am very happy with the purchase I made. I have flown the same size canopy for 230 jumps and enjoyed every minute of it. My container will fit my next down size perfectly and I will have a good size reserve as long as I keep this container.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Personally I got lucky as hell. I ended up finding a guy selling an Infinity on ebay that lived a few hours away. I went to meet him and check out the rig. It had ONE jump on it. Reserve never jumped. Perfect size canopy for me at the time. Looked great. He wanted 3k but when I pulled out 2 thousand in cash his eyes bulged out of his head and he happily accepted. It was quite a steal. Now, I am in the process of buying a brand new one. It is kinda a pain but that is probably because I am not at home.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.