PhreeZone

Skydiver suing jump outfit - News story

> Why would you get on a jump plane with a pilot who was intoxicated?

Because it's often hard to tell? I rarely see the pilot of our Otters unless he turns around to ask something, or I'm sitting up front. And unless you're Billy Richards, the beer usually isn't sitting right there.

I've never had trouble telling when I need to, and I've never seen Billy drink and fly. The only loads I've done with him were out of his Helo, and he is an excellent pilot.

I'd suggest that a "skydivers" do more than buy gear, manifest, and jump.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>I've never had trouble telling when I need to . . .

That's great - but I don't carry a breathalyzer, I don't generally see the pilots in the Otter, and we get new pilots with some regularity.

>and I've never seen Billy drink and fly.

He used to; made quite a big stink about one incident at the Ranch.

>I'd suggest that a "skydivers" do more than buy gear, manifest, and jump.

Some of us fly airplanes too - but that doesn't give us any magical insights into the condition of our pilots.

That's great - but I don't carry a breathalyzer, I don't generally see the pilots in the Otter, and we get new pilots with some regularity.

RW jumpers won't get within 15ft of the pilot on an Otter.

>and I've never seen Billy drink and fly.

He used to; made quite a big stink about one incident at the Ranch.

>I'd suggest that a "skydivers" do more than buy gear, manifest, and jump.

Some of us fly airplanes too - but that doesn't give us any magical insights into the condition of our pilots.

You miss the point. A "skydiver" would make a point of finding out what kind of pilots a DZ has, and make good informed decision as to jump there or not. Of ourse that might take some "effort", or "social skills" which jumpers seem to be sorely lacking. Hence the "lawsuits".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

> A "skydiver" would make a point of finding out what kind of pilots a
>DZ has, and make good informed decision as to jump there or not.

I agree. But even good people have problems like alcoholism. Heck, some of the better instructors I know have gotten busted for drug usage. You can get to know people, and you can make a judgement about whether they're safe or not etc. But you cannot know with any certainty what they're doing at night.

I get to know the pilots and find out how the place is run first.

How do you get to know the pilots if they're flying the plane up and down all day?

Do you get into the cockpit for a half-dozen observation rides, and then ask them things, like; "So, how are the wife and kids?"

I get to know the pilots and find out how the place is run first.

How do you get to know the pilots if they're flying the plane up and down all day?

Do you get into the cockpit for a half-dozen observation rides, and then ask them things, like; "So, how are the wife and kids?"

No silly

We ask to see their log book, and then kiss em to smell their breath

Yes this is true, I did so myself when I was in AFF (not every time since I jumped the same gear and the repack date didn't change).

But how exactly does this apply to a thread about a tandem student??!! B|

Because you didn't read the entire thread.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

kiss em to smell their breath

Tounge???

And run:P

BTW Chewing gum all the time, Big red nose with broken blood vessels, blood shot eye's, or a perpetual runny nose are all signs of something[:/]

Allergies?

Hi Andy

There are lots of different possabilities for these symptons.(and poor spelling) We've had hay fever . Some Mouth wash has alcohol in it (used to). Gum? bad breath.

My wife also had a carpenter student that was using a nose inhaler in school. Nose candy:o

A 23 yo laborer got hurt on the job, went to the hospital for tratment Dr determined the dude was drunk (before noon)

Tongue:o Body fluids:S.

Some construction unions in some areas have agreed to random UA's as a condition of employment. Due to the critical nature of the job.

Weather the DZO's require their diver drivers to have random UA's is up to the DZO their insurance co, or USPA as a requirement of groupl membership:S

The jumpers signed the waiver, and can make their own decision on weather they want to fly/jump with someone it's their nickel.:)