frank73

Log Book Info

I just finished my AFF training about 10 jumps ago. Since then I haven't been getting my log book signed by an instructor or anyone. I don't yet have my A-license I have to learn to pack and a few other things on the proficiency card filled out. Am I supposed to be getting it signed now and if so when do I not have to get it signed. Thanks, Frank K.

By the book all of your jumps should be signed no matter how many jumps you have, and at your jump numbers it's even more important, as the log book entries aren't 'official' without a sig, and you're going to need official logs for your A, B, C, D and whatever other licenses you'll be looking for. Also, there's some DZs who won't even let you jump if the last jump to prove you're current hasn't been signed, and they'll enforce that on people with THOUSANDS of jumps.

Congrats on finishing AFF!
I got nuthin

By the book all of your jumps should be signed no matter how many jumps you have, and at your jump numbers it's even more important, as the log book entries aren't 'official' without a sig, and you're going to need official logs for your A, B, C, D and whatever other licenses you'll be looking for. Also, there's some DZs who won't even let you jump if the last jump to prove you're current hasn't been signed, and they'll enforce that on people with THOUSANDS of jumps.

Congrats on finishing AFF!

is this in the sim? if so, where? also, i have signed a few of my own, is this acceptable?
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

is this in the sim? if so, where? also, i have signed a few of my own, is this acceptable?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No!
Signing your own logbook is not acceptable if you want USPA to issue you any licenses or ratings.

USPA wants to see logbooks signed by licensed jumpers or licensed pilots.
IOW, you need two people to agree to a lie.
Tee!
Hee!
Student jumps should be signed by an instructor.
For some ratings, USPA prefers to see logbooks signed by USPA/FAI judges.

I didn't fill out my logbook for about 45 jumps. I just stopped doing it, and assumed I would catch up every once in a while. I had my Altitrack, so I wasn't worried about keeping track of the jumps, it was just the time investment in filling it out.

That eventually led to me NOT having signatures, which I never worried about because the subject of licenses didn't come up for a while. Now it's proving to be quite the pain getting my ducks in a row for my C.... I should point out that I sent my Altitrack away to get the newest one as a replacement.... yes, my old one had all my jumps logged on it.

So now flipping through the manifest records at the three DZ's I jump at (across 2 states) is just simply not worth it.

I wrote down my jump numbers for all my accuracy and what not for the license requirements, but I have no signatures. Thankfully, I have very friendly and willing pilots and instructors who will sign them for me as I re-organize myself.

Just keep your logbook filled out. Fill it out after every jump and get somebody to sign it. It will save a lot of trouble and hassle down the line.

Also, be sure you are putting the right license number down. Until about my 50th jump, I was signing people's logbooks as "A-USPA member number" (NOT my license number). You will notice my profile still reflects this screw-up. I really just leave it there as a joke now. By my estimates, my supposed "A" number makes me licensed years before I was born. Mind-boggling.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

This is from the 2005 SIM, Section 3-1, p. 12

C. Logging Jumps for Licenses and Ratings

1. Skydives offered as evidence of qualification must have been:

a. made in accordance with the USPA requirements in effect at the time of the jump

b. legibly recorded in chronological order in an appropriate log that contains the following information:

(1) jump number
(2) date
(3) location
(4) exit altitude
(5) freefall length (time)
(6) type of jump (formation skydiving, freeflying, canopy formation, style, etc.
(7) landing distance from the target
(8) equipment used
(9) verifying signature

2. Jumps for license and rating qualifications must be signed by another licensed skydiver, a pilot, or a USPA National or FAI Judge who witnessed the jump.

3. Jumps to meet skill requirements must be signed by a USPA Instructor, Instructor Examiner, Safety & Training Advisor, or a member of the USPA Board of Directors.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

You will discover at some point, that filling out a logbook is something that will compromise you at some point.

I have 5266 entries in my logbook. Since I got a Neptune some 3 years back, I know I have more than that, as for 20 odd years I wrote down all the jumps I could remember at the end of the weekend. My Neptune doesn't forget dives. I do.

Also, I sometimes meet people I seldom see at the DZ, who have more jumps than me, "but don't log." I jump weekends only, and find doing 400+ dives a year takes some effort. Others just add "about 500 a year" it seems, even the years they didn't jump. I don't think I've caught up with a single prominent jumper who doesn't log since the day I started.

There are some prominent skydivers who don't log, and I believe their numbers. There are others who were really busy in the 80's, and had 2000 dives, and whose numbers are now in the 13000 jump range, even though they live in a town without a DZ and run their own business.

Only the jumps up to my 1000th were signed, as that was the highest requirement for a rating at the time. The rest are more for my personal record, but have been accepted for USPA Gold, Diamond, Double Diamond, etc jumps/freefall time awards.

Perris did want to see my last dive signed before they let me jump even though I had 4000+ dives at the time. Fortunately I was travelling with someone who had been jumping with me in Eloy, so that was not a problem.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

it was just the time investment in filling it out.

Time investment? You're being funny, right?

No, actually. I hit a stride where I was filming and what not and quick turn-arounds never yielded enough time for me (I tend to pack slow, one rig) to pull out my logbook and fill it out. It got to the point where I was doing 6 or 7 jumps a day, and said I would fill it out at the end of the day, then weekend, never did, and then yes, the time investment was a deterring factor after that.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye