chuckakers

ok, what is it?

It's a keeper for the slider.

That was my first thought. How does it work? Does he just stuff the slider fabric under the bungee?

Seems a bit clunky at first glance. I've stowed mine for years using a small velcro tab on my jumpsuit collar. I designed it to wrap around the slider and then mate back to another spot of velcro.

Does the bungee design have advantages?

Chuck

It's also a hook with which to snag a deploying reserve pilot chute. Yeah, that's a handy thing to have...

Well, I don't know if that specific scenario has ever happend John, but there was a fatality a few years ago where a jumper was using a similar device to secure his collapsed slider post main deployment, spun himself into line twists flying after that, pulled his cut-away, the 3-rings released, but the main didn't leave (because of the collapsed slider being "attached" to him)... shot the reserve into the trash... main reserve entanglement... etc. etc.

or you can cut the rubber band in half so that it will break easier, lately I have been using slocks while I sort my stuff out and then after everything is flying much nicer I stow

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

How does it work?

There should also be a small rubber band where the ball is...after opening and once the slider is collapsed you wrap the rubber band around the slider and over the ball (the ball is what holds the band in place around the slider).

I think it's clunky as well...I've always collapsed my slider and stuck it under my chin.
Miami

An RDS is better than the ball and band system. I have used both and prefer the RDS. There are a few drawbacks to the RDS such as having to sew a pocket on all of your jump suites to stow the slider in after you take it off, & increase packing time as you want to make sure you get it hooked back up right, but once you get used to removing the slider it is faster than the ball and band, you have better visibility and your canopy performance increases. I use my removable slider on every jump, but I take my time packing. I only take the bag and pc off in comp jumps and comp practice. Having teh bag and PC off is nice as the canopy dives a little further and there is a more lift. This is not a set up if you are wanting to crank out serious jump numbers in one day or if you use packers. I have an inherent distrust of packers (I have learned to accept my own shitty openings and I don't want to get used to someone elses shitty openings) and adding a complexity like an RDS for them to fuck up would not increase my trust of them.

Grant

It's also a hook with which to snag a deploying reserve pilot chute. Yeah, that's a handy thing to have...

the system has been forbiden for French Competitors by their Federation, the same Federation has "disadvised" the same system for "regular" jumpers.

The decision was taken after an incident with a competitor which finally/hopefully finished without injury

For thos of you who can understand french : www.ffp.asso.fr/IMG/pdf/CS_115-2.pdf
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Have you ever tried on the ground to pull your canopy away from the rig while the slider is stowed on your jumpsuit? Velcro likes to be pulled apart, not sheer.

And I have seen some better, some worse, but would like to see someone come up with a scenerio that that ball and bungee interferes with a launching reserve P/C.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Have you ever tried on the ground to pull your canopy away from the rig while the slider is stowed on your jumpsuit? Velcro likes to be pulled apart, not sheer.

I knew someone would bring this up. I use a very small amount of velcro that requires only minimal force to separate, the same way I did before anyone else was stowing sliders. But I like the way you're thinking. ;)

Chuck

Locks the slider. It's a piece of fabric sewed on your riser near the rings. After collapsing the slider and pulling it over the toggles you pull it past this fabric and it then acts like a tab not letting the slider slide back up. Since the slider than is only attached to the risers, it won't cause a hangup if you had to cut away.

re-read that just now -- take out the "i'm telling you" voice from there. I have a hard time following diagrams too. stupid internet typing can't pick out my voice inflection.
-Patrick

would like to see someone come up with a scenerio that that ball and bungee interferes with a launching reserve P/C.

check post 12 of this thread.

In the attachment you can see how some excess brake line got caught in the ball. after cutaway apparently the reserve went up in the ball of shit but eventually deployed despite the big "line salad"

thats the main, but someone said that it could catch the reserve PC. Thats what I was wondering.

Ive seen main lines get caught on everything from riser covers to camera helmets. But I didnt see how the ball would restrict the launch of just the reserve PC.

Johnny
Mike Rome

the ball might not restrict the launch of the PC, but the sh*t attached to it can.

now anything still attached can restrict the launch of the reserve, but in this case we're getting darn close to THE HOLY RESERVE.

For example, on helmets, snagpoints SHOULD be avoided to the max, and helmets SHOULD be dumpable.

But I didnt see how the ball would restrict the launch of just the reserve PC.

And you're willing to take the chance? In an other-than-stable deployment (more likely after whacking a highly loaded canopy gone wild), a reserve component, be it p/c, bridle, lines, or even the bag, could (and has) caught on just about everything. I'm not sure why anyone would want to add to that possibility.

The chance of a snag may not be very great, but it may be very final.

Chuck

I am well aware of the snag potential for some of these systems. Same goes for altimiters, rings, jewelry, feet. If I can I will post a pic of how I set mine up (I dont have a removable slider yet). I have mine on a piece of 1" tape sewn to my yoke. Half the time it is against my back when I am stowing my slider.

Johnny
Mike Rome