crashtested

Panic Attacks

My fourth jump:

Because of economy reasons I was going to 5000 ft. with my SL, and it was the very first time I was going to jump from a C182.
I don't know if you're familiar with that plane, but it requires you to climb out on the step on the wheel strut before making the actual exit.
On top of that, the C182 climbs a lot slower than our normal C206 turbine, so I had a lot of time on the way up.
Add to this that it was the very first time I was jumping a (broken) cloudbase lower than my exit altitude, AND the first time in "high winds" (student limit - 10 kts) and I don't mind telling you I was scared to the point of seriously considering riding the plane down.
This feeling lasted right until the moment when the door opened. Then I told myself not to be such a wuss, I wanted to skydive, so I was going to skydive.
I climbed out on the step, clutching the wing strut for dear life, and with stiffly closed eyes because of the fear that was , I turned my head in the direction of the door.
Then I felt my right cheek flapping in the relative wind, and the fear just vanished! Surprised, I opened my eyes, laughed, and made eye-contact with my JM.
READY?
YES!
GO!
So "go" I did. And the extra long canopy ride down was awesome!

Every now and then I still get a mild version of that fear again, that during the ride up I close my eyes and think "why the HELL do I enjoy this?"

But once I am out of the door I remember.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Then I told myself not to be such a wuss, I wanted to skydive, so I was going to skydive.

Hell yeah!
That is worth repeating!

Rock on!!!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Oh I've ridden the plane down before, there's a joke about me actually going for my pilots license floating around ;) Its all good though

I had a similar heckling myself. I had a reserve ride on AFF level 4. After that i took several 'sightseeing' flights before i was comfortable actually exiting the aircraft. It just takes time.
EVERYBODY was scared when they first started and you should be. It's possible that the feeling may never go away. You will however, learn to deal with it. Stick with it but don't worry about being a wuss. It takes a stronger person to ride the plane down then it takes to jump out the door. B|