jazzman318

Newbie with a question

So again, I'm new to skydiving. I made my first dive this past summer and fell in love with it, or at least I think I have. As of now, my plan is to get my licence next summer.

Question:

When people say they're pulling their cutaway or their reserve, does the cutaway/reserve automaticly dissconect the main chute? Are the cutaway and reserve the same?

thanks

hope to see ya'll in the skys soon enough

When people say they're pulling their cutaway or their reserve, does the cutaway/reserve automaticly dissconect the main chute? Are the cutaway and reserve the same?

It depends on what type of gear you are using. You will get briefed on the type of gear you are being trained on when you decide to get involved again.
Your instructors will train you on the gear you will be using before your jump, so no worries...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

.you will cutaway if it is not recoverable then regain control and pop your reserve...

You can cutaway and not lose control if you fly your body the whole time. I have 10-11 cutaways, have never had to regain stability. I was stable the whole time.
Arch! That's all it takes. B|

our student kit has a RSL (reserve staticline lanyard). So when you cutaway your main canopy is removed, which automatically pulls your reseve pin, deploying your reserve. Even though this happens we still get taught to pull the reserve handle just incase the RSL doesnt work.

Theres a few types of nuisances in which you can rectify and others (malfunctions) in which you will have to cutaway. I was taught "if in doubt cut away". You instructor will teach you all of this until you are happy with the procedures and what to look for but it may be worth d/l ing the SIM manual http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2007SIM/SIM.htm

I think what AFFI is saying is that every DZ student operation is different, and your emergency procedures training (SOS or Dual-Action) will be specific to that DZ.

It's a good idea to get a copy of "The Skydiver's Handbook" by Dan Poynter and Mike Turoff. It will help you understand the mechanics of the situations you'll face, and it will help immensely with the sport's terminology.

Try not to get too caught-up in trying to understand every little thing before you have your First Jump course. And don't listen to other students' advise - we don't know shit. Really. Ask AFFI.

One more thing - don't wait if you don't have to. Go jump. You'll be glad you did.

Gato

(Edited to add: Sorry, but I just realized that I didn't actually answer your question. The system on most modern rigs consists of a cutaway handle (red pillow on the right) and a reserve handle (silver handle on the left). The reason your question is a bit difficult to answer is that some rigs have a single handle that does both at the same time, and you can't know how to think about this until you take the class.)
T.I.N.S.