fendereh

New skydiver, new gear?

Unless you are extremely unusually shaped, it's better to go with used gear. If you look at the Classifieds section here you can see a wide variety, and you can ask around your home DZ as well.

You'll save a LOT of money (which you can spend jumping), and it won't bother you nearly as much to get it dirty if you fall down. Which is good -- your gear is supposed to protect you, not the other way around. Also, that way you won't be tempted to buy gear that's too small so that you'll "downsize into it." Buy what you can use when you buy it, and then use the heck out of it.

If you go to the "Safety" tab at the top there are some articles about choosing your first gear as well.

BTW -- I still jump used gear. Got what I wanted (or close enough) for $2500 instead of $5000. Not too shabby.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have come to the conclusion that buying used is good for some things and buying new is better for other things. For instance I bought a used container. I searched forever and finally found one at Skyfest that was in excellent shape, fit me and had all the pieces for $200! I felt more comfortable with the idea of having a new reserve. So, I bought a new reserve and I'm leaning on a new AAD as well. However, I plan to buy a used main canopy because I know I will downsize in about 100 or so jumps. It's taking a while to get it all together but I'm getting there! :)
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

I agree with ladyhawke-

some pieces of equipment you're going to change later on, like canopies. other things you can get in good shape like helmets, altimeters. Other things you would probably want new, like an AAD or jumpsuit.

I got my gear new, but my main in used. Most people are safe to get gear from on this site, but watch out for scams. Make sure to ask a rigger and/or someone you trust before buying. ALWAYS get pictures!!!
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I believe you can have a harness resized by the manufacturer for a couple hundred bucks. So if you find a container you like, right size canopies and decent colors, but its sized for someone 4 feet tall and your 6 foot, contact the manufacturer of the container with the D.O.M. and ask them if they would be able to resize the harness. This will help broaden your options when shopping for new gear also gets you into a harnes that fits you.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Other things you would probably want new, like an AAD

An AAD is like an airplane: it's airworthy when maintained regardless of age (like our 30+ year old otters and 40+ year old Cessnas) and its value is that of the time remaining on the components. It's going to cost you about $140 a year in depreciation and maintenance whether you buy a 6 year old Cypres-1 for $525 (plus two sets of batteries at $85 per at the 2&4 year rmark, an 8-year check at $200 at the 2 year mark, minus the $80 trade-in when it expires) and change or a brand new Cypres 2 for $1300 (plus 4 & 8 year checks for $200 each) .

Except for being waterproof (most relevant for swooping which you won't be doing) and not having the 500 jump maximum on batteries (which you probably won't do in 2 years as a recreational skydiver) the new Cypres 2 isn't going to perform any better; although an extra $700 in your pocket might help with training that'll make you a better and safer skydiver.

I've looked for a long time for a used Cypress2 (I never considered buying a Cypress1) and came to the conclusion that for the age and price I might as well fork out $200 more and buy new or buy a Vigil which costs a little less than a Cypress2. I guess what I'm saying is I haven't been able to find a "good deal" on any used Cypress2.
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Ill be completing aff soon and have been thinking about gear. As much as id like to guy new I don't know if I can afford it. Is there reliable used gear out there? What are your thoughts?

This is my reminder to have a good understanding of the "buying gear process." We have a newer jumper at my DZ who kinda just went out on his own and bought some stuff. It is all the right stuff, but he never got a rigger to take a look at the stuff. Subsequently, he had to have some repairs done before it was jumpable.

The general process is that you pick something you like. Talk about price. Have the person send it to your DZ or rigger. Your rigger inspects it and tells if you if it is worth the price you both agreed on. If the rigger says it is, you send money. If the rigger says it isn't then in many cases you send the gear back. or work something out.

That protects both parties.

I always suggest used gear to newer jumpers. You are going to change things around a bit in your first year or two and it will cost a lot of money if you are buying new every time. That money is much better spent on jumps.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've looked for a long time for a used Cypress2 (I never considered buying a Cypress1)

There's nothing wrong with a Cypres 1 at a fair price for you. You're not swooping water, not loaded at 3+ pounds per square foot and in need of the speed Cypres, and not making over 500 jumps per 2 years.

They have arguably demonstrated better reliability than the Argus and Vigil.

For some reason I understood the Cypress1 should be converted (which is an additional cost) to the technology of a Cypress2. Did I misunderstand?

Yes. There's no difference in the functionality safety-wise (except for very experienced swoopers who need the Cypres-2 speed model; the rest of us are safer with the standard slower activation speed).

A water resistant housing upgrade is available for the Cypres-1, but since you're not swooping you don't need that. The original Cypres units were sensitive to strong RF fields, Airtec sent out protective sleeves, and updated them all on the scheduled maintenance so the sleeves aren't required . There are no other upgrades.

Best article I have read rearding gear and the new skydiver. www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=46

Yes that is an awesome article. I believe that is our very own Skybytch who penned that. It took me a while to get my rig together, but I am happy that I did. Not I am having a blast learning to fly my body and meeting new friends while doing so
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

The Argus has also arguably demonstrated better reliability then cypres and Vigil.

Just depens on your selection of arguments.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...