Blassiter

"A" License Training

In the end of october I will be going to start my "A" License training and I have a few questions. My local DZ is closing in october so I cant do it there. I am however going to norfolk for a month for work and I was thinking about doing it at Skydive Suffolk. If I do not do it then I will have to wait until next summer. I am in the navy and I am deploying in march and im not sure how long I will be out and my DZ doesnt open until may of next year. So I was wondering if it is even possible for me to finish everything to get my A License in a months time?

Some of it depends on you. Took me 18 jumps to get my CSPA solo where it should have taken 12. If you fail a few of the jumps and have to repeat then obviously it will take longer. Most DZ's seem fairly willing to accept a student with a little refresher/checkout type work.

-Michael

ok, I thought it took more than that though, everywhere I looked ive seen that it takes most people anywhere from 25-30 jumps to get their uspa "A" license. Does anyone have anymore information on how this actually works? I have been looking around a lot online and I havent really been able to find out

A month of full time and good and reliable weather? Should be easily achievable. A month in the fall with weekends only in an area that will probably have some cloudy and/or rainy days? It becomes a lot more difficult. Add to that the DZ's capacity for student training and it becomes a big question mark.

Your best bet would be to call the DZ, talk about your goals, and understand your options. If you don't finish your A, your jumps aren't "wasted" but you will have to do some level of refresher training after you get back from your deployment before you finish working on your license. I'm willing to bet that a location like Suffolk draws a lot of active duty military and has dealt with this situation before.

Edit to add that the poster above is referring to Canadian rules. For USPA rules, check here.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ok I called the dz about a week ago and I was told that it depended on me and I kinda got brushed aside a little I guess because of how long its gonna be until I am down there. Lets say I cant finish it before I leave for my deployment, can I finish at my local DZ instead of in suffolk? because when I get back my dz will be open and it would be a lot easier to do it there than going back down to suffolk

So I was wondering if it is even possible for me to finish everything to get my A License in a months time?

Here is a great program where you can get your license in a weeks time-great program gear airplanes and landing area there is 130 acres!

http://www.skydivespaceland.com/license-in-a-week.html
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Yes. You can work on your A at any DZ. For that matter you can some times work on your student jumps at any DZ also.

Im a little confused, is there a difference between working on my "A" and student jumps?

Skydive instruction programs have a certain amount of jumps then you make coached jumps or solos until you have filled out the A license proficiency card found here:
http://uspa.org/publications/form.pdf/A_Lic_Prof_Card_09-06.pdf
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

ok that sounds awesome, I cant wait till october/november so I can actually get started. Ive been wanting to do this for a very long time and soon I will actually have the money and be able to do it. Its all I can think about recently, I think im becoming a little obsessed lol

I almost forgot I have one more question. I know that part of the program requires you to have 2 tandems before you can start aff. I did a tendem jump about 2 years ago, is it still possible for me to use that as one of them or do I have to start all over again?

Not all programs require tandems.
If you still have your logbook it certainly will count if your preformance on the single tandem is acceptable.
Mykel AFF-I10

I almost forgot I have one more question. I know that part of the program requires you to have 2 tandems before you can start aff. I did a tendem jump about 2 years ago, is it still possible for me to use that as one of them or do I have to start all over again?

Not all programs require tandems.
If you still have your logbook it certainly will count if your preformance on the single tandem is acceptable.

I dont think thats gonna work. I never had a logbook. It was just a weekend that a bunch of us decided that we wanted to go do it. The only thing we ended up getting was a little certificate thing

The little certificate thingie counts toward total number of jumps towards the "A" License and will be the first entry in your new logbook.
Take it with you.
The folks at Spaceleand will take it from there.
Great staff whose entire focus is to help you achieve your goals.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

blassiter,

just wondering, are you planning on heading to suffolk to finish your training?

Yes I am, I will be in norfolk for work for about a month so I am planning on doing everything then. I talked with a guy ad the DZ and he said I should be able to get everything finished. Being that I am on a limited amount of time there he said that they would give me some priority so I can get it all done