ntrprnr

Hey Army Jumpers... What does Master Parachutist entail?

[ The Army found it more cost effective to run two jump schools in Panama conducted by 3d Bn 7th SFG(A) then to send the people back to Ft Benning..

I remember seeing S.F. soldiers with foreign jump wings (back in the early 70's). If I remember right there was also a jump school in Vietnam for Vietnamese troops....Steve1

You guys are so full of yourselves I want to puke up the Constitution. You're all such a bunch of fucking heroes!

I joined the Marine Corps because I was drafted into the Army at 18 in 1971 . . .

And I didn’t want to be a dogface.

My generation carried the water when Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, and Marines were shit on by everybody.

NickD >:(
BASE 194

So...if I got my Draft notice while I was in Navy bootcamp at NTC....does that preclude me from being a punk ?
I dont remember carrying any water, Nick, but I carried a lot of KIAs.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

You guys are so full of yourselves I want to puke up the Constitution. You're all such a bunch of fucking heroes!

I joined the Marine Corps because I was drafted into the Army at 18 in 1971 . . .

My generation carried the water when Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, and Marines were shit on by everybody.

BASE 194

So...if I got my Draft notice while I was in Navy bootcamp at NTC....does that preclude me from being a punk ?

That depends...does it have anything to do with skydiving?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

BASE 194

That depends...does it have anything to do with skydiving?

Nothing whatsoever.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Didn't think so. Topic please guys :)

Good point... I was starting to feel left out :( because the best I can do is produce my Selective Service Registration Card and all-in-all I think Bozo and Nick are pretty good people.

Anyway, WRT to the Master Parachutist badge... if I'm not mistaken, the Senior Parachutist badge (?) - Jump Wings with a Star ABOVE the canopy and the Master Parachutist Badge - Start with a circle (wreath ?) around it ABOVE the canopy both post-date WW2?

Up until then, it was just the Parachutist badge and then maybe starts (mustard stains) on the shroud lines, or on the wings, to denote numbers of actual, no-shit, combat jumps (i.e. jumps into a combat zone). I'm certainly not an expert, but I think there were some individuals that got 3 or 4 combat jumps in WW2 and I'm sure I ran across the story of an individual (started out enlisted, finished up as a Warrant Officer... if I'm remembering the story correctly) that got 4 Combat Jumps in WW2 and one in Vietnam, for a total of 5 Combat Jumps in his airborne career. I don't think anyone has been awarded more then 5 Combat jumps... mostly because I cannot find on the internet how that would be denoted on their jump wings, but I could be worng.

Up until then, it was just the Parachutist badge and then maybe starts (mustard stains) on the shroud lines, or on the wings, to denote numbers of actual, no-shit, combat jumps

There is actually a Glider badge that one could potentialy have gotten back in WWII along with the various versions of jump wings. AR-670-1, Chapter 29-17, fig 29-44 on page 294 depicts how many and where the stars are placed on the jump wings.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

When I was an Army Parachute Rigger at Ft Bragg from early 1988 to 1994. It was great as I had the chance to make many many jumps from all sorts of A/C.

Some days, some nights, even combat equipment. Some from 130's, 141's, and various other helicopters. That did not include the GB clubs weekend events for fun (Skydiving), And Yes, I even had waited in those long lines on Sicily to do the morning fun jumps from the 130..

The only real issue was the person in HQ who just wanted to log jumps for that Hazard pay that being log one here and log one here another month or tow. When I was doing an average of five a month if not more,. And on deployments it was good to get out and jump more also..

In the end I ended up with a some of over two hundred static line jumps plus the sky diving..

I do miss the military: I do offten thing of the good old days of that night mass tac with a fifty pound ruck and all. As when I finally got my chance to go to Jumpmaster school at Mcdill. I loved it even more, there you learned to safely put the jumpers out and being a rigger that was a great asset since we dealt with the gear every day and just doing it was something that I will always chairish.

But the real treat was actually being the JM or safety on a night jump, standing in that door at 800 feet... I dont know what is more pleasing this or doing a skydive... the verdict can not be reached even to this day, except in skydiving you dont have that long briefing call _ Pre Jump....and mock door exits etc..

Enjoyed it and would say "You have to try it to buy it"

Support our troops..

Just my two pennies on this area..:)

Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

But the real treat was actually being the JM or safety on a night jump, standing in that door at 800 feet... I dont know what is more pleasing this or doing a skydive...
reply]
One thing about memories is that nobody can take them away from you. I think some of my fondest times were jumpmastering a load of jumpers out of a C-130 or 141. And to think that you got paid for doing a job like that, (and the jumps were free). I kind of wish I had stayed in. I could have retired almost 20 years ago....Steve1

Steve, Very true and while you get older alot of the younger people around you cant or will not believe all that we have seen and done.

This still gests me,... But I know what and where Ive been, While on the other hand they have not left home yet..hahaha..

Ken..
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I meant to say Special Forces Jump Master school in my last post. There was no such thing as Special Forces Jump school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually there was a Special Forces Jump School. Back in the early 80s a new airborne unit was formed in the Republic of Panama and it was assigned to the 193d Inf Brigade. The Army found it more cost effective to run two jump schools in Panama conducted by 3d Bn 7th SFG(A) then to send the people back to Ft Benning.

Actually, we used to run two jump school classes per year on Fort Bragg every summer up until about ten years ago. Those classes were run entirely by special forces soldiers primarilly from the 7th SFG. I was in B/1/7 back then and worked two of those courses. The students were primarilly military academy cadets. We ran them during the time they are there on Bragg for summer camp.

Chuck

As a former Marine it's always seemed to me in the Army if you take a crap in the woods they have a patch or device for it . . . :S

NickD :)BASE 194

General Conway's Uniform is no slouch either...:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!