JasonQ

San Diego fires avoid drop zone

A friend of mine just told me that the Harris fire has missed the Skydive San Diego drop zone. Over 300 thousand people have been evacuated and almost one thousand homes have been destroyed in the area. It will be nice to have the distraction -slash- stress reliever of skydiving when this is all over.

This fire seems worse than the 2004 San Diego ones. I grabbed my medic's bag and headed down there yesterday, but could only get as far south as Poway. I ended up checking folks over who were taking refugee in the North County Mall off the 15 freeway. There are sure a heck of a lot of displaced persons . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Here's the latest MODIS Imagery from yesterday afternoon.

You can see the fires near San Diego flared up a bit from yesterday morning so I would say they're definitely not out of the woods yet.

Also, the fire up by orange county is also a little worrisome as it looks like it has the potential to cause some serious damage if not contained somewhat early.

I assume the DZ is closed due to the fires? I will be in San Diego for the weekend and was planning to do some jumping there, I guess that's no longer an option.

Hopefully they (and everyone else) come through ok.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

The structures are still there, the phone lines in tact. We are headed out to clean and reload as I type.....

With a little luck and a bit of elbow grease, we'll be jumping tomorrow!

Endless Summer Boogie!!!! Oh yeah! I guarantee you the party is gonna rock Saturday night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

The structures are still there, the phone lines in tact. We are headed out to clean and reload as I type.....

With a little luck and a bit of elbow grease, we'll be jumping tomorrow!

Endless Summer Boogie!!!! Oh yeah! I guarantee you the party is gonna rock Saturday night.

Very happy to hear our San Diego DZ escaped the blaze. Hope the Temporary Flight Restriction is lifted soon.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon