4wayFly

Does the USPA hate US skydivers?

Bri - what about if you won the World Meet and UK Skydive put a photo of the French team you beat on the front cover, as Parachutist did to the US team in 2001?

I'd be a bit miffed by that but it would never happen in the UK - we haven't won enough. Also it would be outweighed by the fact I'd written an article and supplied photos to every major newspaper in Britain and contacted every tv channel and radio station offering interviews. But then, I'm a little keen sometimes.

AND I'd probably harbour a grudge for 6 years and then bring it up in a public skydiving internet forum. :P

As a Brit skydiver, I agree with 4wayfly, seems deliberately inflammatory or slightly naive not to include a single photo of the the team that won all 4 categories at the Nationals. If it was me, I'd be offended.

That's untrue - they had a full page picture as the endpiece of the magazine. Bigger than all the other Nationals photos.

Apologies. It seems deliberately inflammatory or slightly naive not to include a single photo of the team that won all 4 categories at the Nationals in the official review.

I'm pretty sure Skydive: The Mag has photos of all teams who podium and in 2006 it had a photo of all 54 teams who competed. They were small photos but they were very popular - everyone likes to see photos of themselves!

I'd be a bit miffed by that but it would never happen in the UK - we haven't won enough.

Do you think that's the reason why the UK treats its competitors differently? And the US are so 'used to' winning it's not really a cause to celebrate or be proud (in terms of how the USPA represent it in the publication)? (If so, is that right, or good?) The Brits have won the WM girls' class several times - as a Brit (serious q, not rhetorical), what do you think would happen if Storm won the women's at the World Championships and they put a photo of the French women's team on the cover of the magazine? Is that likely?

AND I'd probably harbour a grudge for 6 years and then bring it up in a public skydiving internet forum :P.

Yeh! Now THAT'S an idea...:P

As a Brit skydiver, I agree with 4wayfly, seems deliberately inflammatory or slightly naive not to include a single photo of the the team that won all 4 categories at the Nationals. If it was me, I'd be offended.

That's untrue - they had a full page picture as the endpiece of the magazine. Bigger than all the other Nationals photos.

Apologies. It seems deliberately inflammatory or slightly naive not to include a single photo of the team that won all 4 categories at the Nationals in the official review.

AS far as I know, Steve Verner was asked by the host DZ to do the shots of the leading teams (to include their vidiots) and he submitted them. The editors decided to use the Airspeed shot as a special, full page, endpiece.

The entire premise of this thread is just a load of whining and bellyaching.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

AS far as I know, Steve Verner was asked by the host DZ to do the shots of the leading teams (to include their vidiots) and he submitted them. The editors decided to use the Airspeed shot as a special, full page, endpiece.

The entire premise of this thread is just a load of whining and bellyaching.

It's also the sign of "Off Season" for north american skydiving.;)
Everyone in the cold climates has nothing better to do than gripe about USPA... I expect this will continue until march? april?:D:D:D:P
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

You don't?

Headlines from the BPA news on homepage (note some of the positive headlines go back to 2005):

- 'British VRW Team take Gold at 1st European Champs'
- 'World Cup Stupino - British Team Outbreak take Silver in Freefly'
- 'British teams all in the medals at the ESL Finals'
- 'Stupino World Meet 2007 - Congratulations also to our other British teams in FS and Artistics who have all done us proud.'
- 'Women's 4-way FS team Airkix set new World Record'
- 'World Champion Team Airkix'
-' Taste the World for £19.95 at the AGM night buffet'
- 'The Airkix Fund'
- 'Council 2008 Election'

Headlines from the USPA news section:

News
· NTSB Determines Cause in Jump Plane Collision (updated 10/25/07)
· Use USPA’s New Address (updated 09/20/07)
· USPA Nationals Completes (updated 09/19/07)
· Kent to Receive Gold Medal (updated 09/07/07)
· Wallace to Receive Gold Medal (updated 08/28/07)
· Racer Tandem Flex Pin Safety Notice(updated 08/02/07)
· Strong Enterprises Issues Service Bulletin (updated 04/19/07)

I guess if you don't see it, you don't see it. :S

Eh, I dunno. Most of that front page is about the US teams that competed at nationals.

But anyway your focus in skydiving is probably related to competition. I'd rather read about safety issues than which rookie 4-way team won a local competition in oklahoma.

I think the USPA's site would look pretty silly if it was covered with american flags and only had articles about how great the US is. Would be kinda odd to see a headline like "American teams all in the medals at the FSL Finals" or something.

Dave

skydivers? by 4wayFly
Post: Ok, so can anyone tell me why in the latest issue of Parachutist, which covers USPA Nationals, at which AIRSPEED MADE A CLEAN SWEEP of 4-way (highest average ever), 8-way, 10-way and 16-way, THERE IS NOT ONE PHOTO OF AIRSPEED? Not in the air, not collecting medals, nothing.

To the disinterested observer, you have to admit, it looks a bit odd.

And why, on the COVER of the 2008 USPA calendar, there is a PHOTO OF THE FRENCH 8-WAY TEAM?

I mean, come on, are we mean to believe there are no decent photos of US teams which could take that slot? I find it insulting, to be honest.

Unless I'm missing something.

(I apologise as I posted this in The Bonfire before realizing that's for non-skydiving stuff, I think it would be better posted here, sorry for messing up.)

Chuckles,,, being on my best behavior,, I'd have to ask,, HOW OLD are you?
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

And from 2006:
· USPA Nationals Concludes at Skydive Arizona (updated 10/30/06)
· Sanders Receives Gold Medal for Meritorious Service (10/02/06)
· Skydivers Over Sixty Members Set New SOS Record (09/18/06)
· Team Clean Air Establishes New Record (09/07/06)
· U.S. Canopy Piloting Nationals (09/06/06)
· World Canopy Piloting Championships Complete (08/28/06)
· World Meets End in Russia (updated 08/18/06)
· U.S. Wins World Meet (08/11/06)
· Parachutes Still OK for U.S. Travel (08/10/06)
· Older Jump Planes in FAA’s Sights (03/28/06)
· Winter Board Meeting Completes (02/19/06)
· World Team 2006 Claims New World Record (02/08/06)
· IPC Meeting Completes (02/03/06)
· FAA Rules in Skydiving’s Favor (01/25/06)
· USPA Prepares for New Skydiving Records Program (01/20/06)
· Canada to Host Para-Ski Championships (01/19/06)
· USPA Comments Alter Caravan AD (01/12/06)
· Collegiate Championships Complete (01/03/06)

And from 2005:
· The Canopy Piloting Nationals (12/26/05)
· USPA Seeks U.S. Team Managers (11/17/05)
· New CF World Record Completes (11/29/05)
· World Cups Complete at Skydive Arizona (10/28/05)
· Skydivers Should Oppose ADIZ (10/21/05)
· Women Claim New World Record (10/03/05)
· Moledzki Sets New Canopy Swoop Record (09/16/05)
· USPA Nationals at Perris Valley Skydiving (09/12/05)
· Ian Bobo Wins World Cup of Canopy Piloting (08/30/05)
· USPA Opposed to Caravan Icing Equipment (08/10/05)
· Judges Training at Nationals (07/27/05)
· Drop Zone Claims Tandem Record (07/20/05)
· U.S. Wins Four World Games Medals (07/18/05)
· Freeflyers Claim Head-Down Record (05/03/05)
· Tagle Claims Distance Record (05/03/05)
· USPA Skydiver's Competition Manual Revised (05/09/05)
· 60-Somethings Set Record (03/21/05)
· Canopy Piloting World Cup Completes in Florida (02/12/05)
· TSA Changes Waiver Process (02/01/05)

In other words, look at news from USPA vs BPA in an identical timeframe.
As far as the photo; Gee...the US Government accidentally shot the wrong side of Niagra Falls (the Canadian side) for a production promoting the US and tourism. Does that mean the US Government hates America?:S

You see what you want to see, particularly when you've got a bone.

Everyone in the cold climates has nothing better to do than gripe about USPA... I expect this will continue until march? april?:D:D:D:P

well, Ken, now you're just braggin since you moved some place warmer.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Does that mean the US Government hates America?

You know, I just looked at the USPA website under the experienced-jumper area, and you know what they have? A picture of the U.S. team at the World Cup of Canopy Piloting - standing in front of a CRESCO! Did you catch that? A CRESCO! Which is not built in the US!

Why does the USPA hate american manufacturers so much? Who is taking bribes to push foreign aircraft in the official USPA website, a site that americans pay for? How do you think this makes the USPA members who work for Cessna feel?

I plan to immediately write several scathing letters to USPA and Skydiving magazine, before I go out this weekend to jump out of the Otters and Skyvans at Perris.

>Does that mean the US Government hates America?

You know, I just looked at the USPA website under the experienced-jumper area, and you know what they have? A picture of the U.S. team at the World Cup of Canopy Piloting - standing in front of a CRESCO! Did you catch that? A CRESCO! Which is not built in the US!

Why does the USPA hate american manufacturers so much? Who is taking bribes to push foreign aircraft in the official USPA website, a site that americans pay for? How do you think this makes the USPA members who work for Cessna feel?

I plan to immediately write several scathing letters to USPA and Skydiving magazine, before I go out this weekend to jump out of the Otters and Skyvans at Perris.

:D

there's about twenty people in here on a low count that say you dont have a point. now, who's ignorant!?

fucking hell, besides competition, nations, prices and what not: what i'd like to see is pictures of all this guys getting shitfaced alltogether.. because in the end, thats what skydiving is about for most people.. thank god!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

there's about twenty people in here on a low count that say you dont have a point. now, who's ignorant!?

Being in the minority doesn't mean you are wrong.

what i'd like to see is pictures of all this guys getting shitfaced alltogether.. because in the end, thats what skydiving is about

How sad.