Belldemon

Information In Jump Log

Hey folks. I've done two tandems so far, one coming up probably this spring (getting cold up here and trying to recruit some friends to go with). I am hoping to start AFF this fall or thereabouts.

My question is, what type of information should I be keeping track of in a jump log and are there any simple electronic templates that I can use?

Also, what jumps should I be counting in the log? Do my tandems count? Will AFF jumps count?

Just curious and thanks for the help.

Most logbooks track the following:

Date
Location (DZ)
Altitude
Aircraft
Freefall time
Equipment used
Description of the type of jump

I'm probably forgetting something.

Rather than use an electronic template, I'd suggest buying a logbook if you plan to get licensed. For the early part of your skydiving career, having signed logbook entries will be critical, so an electronic log won't make as much sense (or if you use it, it'll be a supplement to a written /signed logbook).

And yes, your tandems do count! Definitely write them in, even if it's too late to go back and get signatures from your tandem instructors.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Welcome to the sport!
Tandems count.
AFF counts.
Any time you jump out of an aircraft of some sort, it counts.
As far as a jump log; you need the jump legibly recorded in chronological order in an appropriate log that contains the following information:
(1) jump number
(2) date
(3) location
(4) exit altitude
(5) freefall length (time)
(6) type of jump (formation skydiving, freeflying, canopy formation, style, etc.)
(7) landing distance from the target
(8) equipment used
(9) verifying signature (by licensed skydiver).

I use JumpTrack from L&B as an electronic logbook, as it interfaces directly with my Altitrack and ProTrack. For at least the first 500, you'll want a paper logbook.

[edited to add: You might want to start reading the Skydiver Information Manual/SIM.

I know at Hib (uk) they wont count electronic logs as theres no proof it was you doing it but more importantly it doesnt give any info like where you jumped what u were doing, conditions, landing etc.

Ive done 11jumps...my AFF lvls 1-4 where written by my instructer and then the rest was written by myself and signed by an instructer

just for info my 7th jump went like this

jump No: 7
Date: 19/7/07
place: Hib
aircraft: G92
Equipment Nave 290
Altitiude: 15000
Delay: 60
Aff L7

Good Alc Drills. Good set up in door and exit , can put a bit more arch on. Good backloop. Relax signal. 2x360 turns very good. 1st track very good. 2nd track with turn very good. no more work signal @ 6k and pulled @ 5k. Well done AFF L7 pass, consols next

then instucter signature

Wow. If they won't accept a printout of my JumpTrack...remind me not to jump there. It has far more information than a paper logbook...
I also type copious notes in my electronic logbook. With a D license, and a printout to demonstrate my currency, I've yet to have a DZ refuse to let me jump (assuming data card is in order, etc.

Thanks for the responses. Is there a logbook available for sale somewhere or just use a notebook / journal? I looked around online a bit, but didn't come up with much luck.

As far as freefall time goes, can I just use 5.5 seconds per 1,000 feet and estimate or is it actually timed? Just not sure how "official" the time needs to be.

I'll be jumping at the same DZ this spring and I had the same Tandem Instructor both times previously, so as long as he's back up there after the winter (he goes to more southern DZs in the winter) I can probably get him to sign it.

If you don't get most jumps signed by another person, will it make it difficult when you visit a new drop zone for the first time?

Depends on the dropzone.

Some won't check your logbook at all.

Some will check it but if you don't have it, they'll be willing to call your home DZ to check currency.

Some will check it but if you don't have it... you don't jump.

Sometimes what's required will vary depending on what license you have.

All that said ... verifying signatures is not something that is really ever done. As long as there is A signature ... it's usually fine. I like to follow the spirit of the law and get my logbook signed by someone else, though there have been many boogies where my boyfriend (also a jumper) and I sit around signing pages and pages of each others' logbooks to catch up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You can use the math rules, or you can do it the easy way....get a protrack, altitrack, neptune, or other logging altimeter.
You can buy a real logbook at just about any DZ, from dealers such as ParaGear, BadDog, etc. They range from 10.00 to 30.00 or so.
Don't buy one based on price, IMO, get one that allows you space to actually write in it. Your logbook isn't just a collection of numbers, dates, and names; it's a diary that your instructor and yourself, can write about the jump. It's a lot of fun to go back and read old jump notes, IMO.

Welcome to the sport!
Tandems count.
AFF counts.
Any time you jump out of an aircraft of some sort, it counts.

I've logged (and gotten signed) wind tunnel time in my logbook as well. Wind tunnel time, of course, doesn't count as freefall time or as a jump out of a perfectly good aircraft, but I think it is still good to have a record of it.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I'd suggest that you get an A license proficiency card and keep it stapled to the inside of your logbook. Many of the tasks on the card are things you'll be doing through your AFF training. Try to get them to sign-off on the proficiency card, as you complete the tasks and make sure it's also logged in your book, for a back-up.
"T'was ever thus."