Broke

Cold weather jumping and Saranex suits

Today at my job I had to retrieve some indicators out of a container full of formaldehyde. I wore the saranex suit instead of my regular tyvek because it is coated, and that helps to block the wind. Has anyone used these suits under your jumpsuits to help keep the wind from cutting through your clothes? I think it might be worth investigating
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Overkill in my opinion. I jump all winter long with no problems. All you need is a good base layer or two like they use in mountaneering and any jumpsuit.

Plus all of the outdoors stores now have all of their thermals on sale since winter is coming to a close... is there an off season for chemical suits? :P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I still havent bought my first suit yet. Imagine how badass I'd look if I rolled up to the dz wearing this:

http://www.tasco-safety.com/clothing/3400qc.jpg

Order now, add some feathers and something red on top when it arrives and your'e ready for easter! :D
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Here in Kansas, we've been jumping all winter and only use normal clothing. Matter of fact, I moved up here from southeast Texas 6 months ago and was worried about freezing my johnson off because of the cold weather and high winds.

Not a problem though. On cold days, ground temps 30 and below, I just wear a base of Under Armour and then my fall fast jump suit with a very thin bacclava and a full face. Thin neoprene gloves on the hands. Have not been chilled yet. ElJosh even did a full nude jump back in December and I think the ground temp was 29 F. (There is video[:/])

A bunch of us from ICT went to Dallas the last week in Jan and the first jump Sat morning they said the temp at altitude with wind chill would be -29 F. Did not have any problems. In fact there was someone on that load from Alaska who left for a hot tub after that & never came back. Great weekend b/c the Kansas crew had the whole place to ourselves really because of the temps Saturday.

I think a thin good heat retaining base layer is the key. Six months ago I would have told you, "You're crazy if you think I'm jumping out of a plane when the temp is 40 F."

Mind over matter & modern fabric is all it takes to jump in the cold.

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I did my helicopter jump last January. The ground temp was about -2F. Riding with the doors off wasn't so much fun.

Keeping the core warm isn't the hard part. Its keep the hands and fingers "warm". My finger tips were pretty numb on that helicopter jump, and have been on a few regular winter jumps.

And I'd also add, when jumping in sub-freezing temperatures, if you're wearing a full face, make sure you're breathing through your mouth out the mouth hole (helps prevent fogging and icing on the shield). And also make sure you have a plan on what to do if you fog or ice up. I used to jump with a Factory Diver and landed with it propt on my head a few times. Now I jump an Oxygn A3and can put up my face shield if needed. But careful if your fingers are numb and you're putting up your face shield on an Oxygn. I did it one jump and little did I know until I got back in the clubhouse and took my gloves off but I bent my thumbnail back about half way down putting the face shield up. It really hurt once I started getting feeling back in my fingers. And yes, I'm blonde.

I'm jumping a factory diver and have not had it fog up yet. I agree on the breathing out the mouth to prevent it though. One thing that has happened is (gross part comming ladies) that I've had sinus drip and snot has frozen to the inside. It was pretty annonying toward the end of the day but did not obscure visibility to where it was a problem.

I'm prepared to pop the lid at anytime if it fogs where I can't see. FF I'd just let it go.

I tried different gloves before I found some that were thin and worked okay. A pair of surgical or latex exam gloves work well as a liner but don't put the gloves on until you need to as to prevent moisture inside. That will keep them dry the whole day.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama