MomDaBomb

Clouds & AFF

Depends on your instructor. I do not tell students that their performance in the clouds should be any different than their performance out of the clouds. All the same issues apply - and it is the rare cloud indeed where you cannot see the student from 5-10 feet away (obviously only an issue on release dives.)

However, each instructor will have their own take on this.

In the United States it is illegal to jump through a cloud, so it shouldn't happen. However, sometimes we are exiting at a legal distance but on the edge, and there is a possibility of cloud entry. Plus, a skydiver continuing in the sport will probably inadvertently (I hope) jump through a cloud at some point, so it's worth briefing while still a student.

I usually just mention that the cloud is stationary, and it will give a very dramatic impression of freefall speed. I note that could be frightening to a student who isn't expecting it, but if anticipated that rush of speed can be wicked fun. I don't change the students part of the dive flow at all, but if we are about to enter a cloud I may choose not to release or to delay the release.

I'll also note that others will probably come up with cracks about "industrial haze" and suggest that it's really alright to jump through a cloud. I don't hold with that at all, and try very hard to keep my student clear of clouds. If we do hit one (of course it has happened), I silently curse myself and pledge to do better in the future.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

If the instructor was really cool, he or she would flip you on your back so you could see the body shaped hole that you are punching through the cloud like Wiley Coyote!

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson