npgraphicdesign

My first AFF skydive this Saturday.

GRRRRRR!!! Looks like we're going to get weathered out again this weekend here in Indiana. Holy cow!
Hope you get yours in, npgraphic!

Get used to being weathered out and wind holds.... it's all part of being a student...
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
GRRRRRR!!! Looks like we're going to get weathered out again this weekend here in Indiana. Holy cow!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get used to being weathered out and wind holds.... it's all part of being a student...

I beginning to figure that out. It's taken me since Thanksgiving Weekend to get a total of 8 jumps so far. It hasn't always been weather problems (lack of pilot, lack of plane, lack of available instructor), but wind does seem to be the biggest cause of me being stuck on the ground. I am having fun on those days getting to know the other jumpers and I am learning a lot from watching how they land. Everyone tells me it will get better as summer gets closer. I sure hope so!!!
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I beginning to figure that out. It's taken me since Thanksgiving Weekend to get a total of 8 jumps so far. It hasn't always been weather problems (lack of pilot, lack of plane, lack of available instructor), but wind does seem to be the biggest cause of me being stuck on the ground. I am having fun on those days getting to know the other jumpers and I am learning a lot from watching how they land. Everyone tells me it will get better as summer gets closer. I sure hope so!!!

Skydivers should have magnetic knee and elbow pads and just attach themselves to the outside of the plane like sucker fish. Then, at proper altitude, hit the switch and wooooooooooooooo!!:D

Maestra, sorry to hear you're rained out again! [:/] Looks like 73, hot and sunny for tomorrow....wish me luck! B|

Last Sun we had 78 degree temps here in Montana and this weekend the high temps are supposed to be in the very low 30's and the lows in the lower teens with a foot of snow in the lower elevations and two feet in the mountains. Gotta love Montana weather. Sure glad we got some jumps in last weekend.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

wooohooo!!!!
Made my first skydive...absolutely phenomenal...beyond words!!! B|

So to sum it up, i got up right to the door, had a rather half-hearted 'up/down' exit, but the arch was good. Even the inside JM was surprised, as apparently my position at the door was too crouched. Did my COA, practice pulls, then surprised the hell out of one of the JMs by doing two more practice pulls at 7k-ish. he thought i was pulling! :P Fooled ya man!!

Then i relaxed....locked on, waved off, and pulled a bit too late (a little below 5k) becuase i didn't realized how fast 5500 would come up after 6k.

Was a bit nervous on the way down, did some 360s, turns, etc..but when i started getting lower..i was coming it at 3/4 toggles, and did a bit of crabbing across the landing zone. Hence i turned in a bit too late and landed a few hundred feet away from the 'desired' spot. The radio guy told me to flare a bit early, so i plopped on the ground rather then glide in.
Also a bit of confusion. One of the reasons why i started drifting a bit in the beginning is that one of my JMs told the radio guy that my canopy was red/white/blue, so he was looking for it and couldn't find it. The when my JMs came down, they told him that my canopy is actually blue/yellow.

But it was good all in all. I was de-briefed and told what i need to work on (and some of it i realized myself) and was given the OK to go to the next level! :ph34r:

...and i'm hooked!!!:P WHOOPS!!! B|

then surprised the hell out of one of the JMs by doing two more practice pulls at 7k-ish. he thought i was pulling! Fooled ya man!!

LOL you got to watch out for that, follow the diveflow EXACTLY as you arranged on the ground.

My AFF 5 involved 2 x 360 turns (one right and one left)... I finished my 2 turns and docks by 6000ft so I thought I could rip a REALLY quick 360 prior to waving off and deploying.

My AFFI thought I went into a spin and tackled me B|

Congrats on your first AFF jump, it only gets better and better :D

congrats on the first jump. CPI is my home dz but lately I jump in NY during the week due to my schedule. Who were your instructors? On the plus side, if you can learn to land at CPI, you can land a canopy anywhere! Again, congrats.

hey..thanks for the congrats! B|

I jumped with Kristin and Matt. They rock!!!! :)What kind of horrid schedule do you have that would keep you away from your home DZ? ;)

Hey congrats! My first AFF is tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Keep us posted on your progress and wish me luck. ;)

"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci

then surprised the hell out of one of the JMs by doing two more practice pulls at 7k-ish. he thought i was pulling! :P Fooled ya man!!

... which is not really a good joke/idea. As a beginner you simply should stick to what's been told you to do. Ask your J/M's why.
:)
Congrats to AFF1 and good luck for coming jumps B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

then surprised the hell out of one of the JMs by doing two more practice pulls at 7k-ish. he thought i was pulling! :P Fooled ya man!!

... which is not really a good joke/idea. As a beginner you simply should stick to what's been told you to do. Ask your J/M's why.
:)
Congrats to AFF1 and good luck for coming jumps B|

OH i didn't do it on purpose..i thought "hey i have some extra time, why not do another pull or two since i had a bit of an issue reaching back for the handle during practice?" The J/M's explained to me why, why not etc., and i get it..believe me. ;)

Thank you for the good luck wishes! B|

I totally fucked up AFF2 and have to repeat it.

Lost my arch after practice pulls and was instable from that point on. Pulled for myself, great tip-toe landing (if I do say so myself) I guess it wasn't a total disaster but all in all didn't think I was gonna pass so I can agree with the instructor's choice.

Still...five weeks since my first jump which went "absolutely fabulous"...sucks to have to repeat level 2 which is essentially the same jump only easier. Fuck's sake...[:/]

Still...five weeks since my first jump which went "absolutely fabulous"...sucks to have to repeat level 2 which is essentially the same jump only easier. Fuck's sake...

5 weeks is WAY too long IMO, I waited 4 weeks between AFF 3 and 4, it was hell on earth, basically like I was back to AFF1.

You wouldn't believe the difference in doing 2 jumps in a day, the 2nd jump is 1000% easier... I highly suggest that if you can afford it.

I highly suggest that if you can afford it.

It's not always a matter of money. I paid for my first 16 jumps up front in November and have used 7 of them. For students, weather can be a biggie and then at a small drop zone, you can also have lack of pilot, lack of plane, all instructors taking time off at the same time... You name it, I think I have been there. [:/]

You can't believe how much I am looking forward to getting to do two jumps in the same day.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

Double whoo hoo and congrats!! You got the first one in! Yay!!!:)
As for me, here in corn country, we got weathered out again... there was an IAD guy who did manage to get a jump in on Sat., but yesterday the DZ shut down around 1:30 due to the cloud cover. You know it's really bad when an IAD student and instructor go up and come back down... in the plane.

I can't decide if I'm relieved or frustrated that I haven't been able to do the first jump. I did get in some practice on the ground with both of my instructors practicing the dive flow, plus another packing lesson. It wasn't wasted time at all, that's for sure.

Again, congrats!!! :)
Maybe next weekend I'll get to do mine.

Thanks for the advice but it's not a matter of money. The course has been paid for. I jump at a small dropzone. The wheather has been crap and now there are more students than there are instructors.

I have go say I felt like a fuckup after that jump. I rushed my exit and botched my arch. I really don't understand since level one was so easy.

I'm glad my landing was ok.