yarak

Anyone else find this odd?

I titled this "anyone else find this odd" but what i really meant was stupid. The AFF program stands for accelerated Freefall. IAF stands for instructor assisted freefall. shouldnt it be the AF program and the IAF program? why use FF to represent freefall in one, then use F to represent the word freefall in the other. HMMMMMMMMMMMM just seems dumb to me.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

AFF was called so to differentiate it from static line training which was all there was before AFF was approved in about 1982.

It meant it was an "accelerated" way to achieve free fall without the five required static line jumps that used to be the norm. So it made more sense at one time.

On the FF part. Some write it as two words, which it probably correct usage wise, but we speak it in one word. It's like "drop zone" is really two words but people say it. and often write it, like it's one word.

Now someone will say they found "freefall" or "dropzone" in some dictionary but that's because language is fluid and ever-changing.

Sometimes two words first become hyphenated like "ever-changing" but then after enough people start using it the hypen gets dropped and "everchanging" becomes a real stand alone word. (Which in that case hasn't happened yet).

NickD :)

thank you. I find it odd too.

I know people like TLA's and I agree. But they could have named it AFP(accelerated freefall program), AFC(accelerated freefall course), ACT(accelerated freefall training) or about 50 other things that would have maintained a sense of consistent grammer. Anyway, some might think AF or IAFF looks dumb but at least they are gramatically consistent. I would rather my training program acronyms look dumb, then have my organization leaders look uneducated.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.