npgraphicdesign

My 2nd AFF jump: PLF + photos.

Hey guys,
Did my 2nd AFF jump today, which resulted in a PLF and some up close and personal meeting with some tree branches/bushes. I'm ok, and did a little write up here, just because it was a good learning experience. Check it out.

http://www.npgraphicdesign.com/myphotos/skydive2/

The radio person was great in helping me, and my instructors rocked as well. I am actually glad to have had such an experience early on.

I'm glad you're okay. Most tree landings don't result in injuries. It's the climbing out of the tree that usually gets people.

As an instructor, I have to ask the obvious. Why didn't you land in the nice open field right next to the trees? Next time, make a gentle left turn to avoid them. ;)

lol :) Nice AFF2, I landed 2 miles out of the dropzone in someones backyard on my AFF2 (radio fail and I hammered downwind).

We often have to land into the treeline at our DZ, no overshoot area... I just typically fly crosswind and stay really far from them before I turn into the wind at a low height.

I'm never on target when I have to land facing the tree's, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

lol :) Nice AFF2, I landed 2 miles out of the dropzone in someones backyard on my AFF2 (radio fail and I hammered downwind).

We often have to land into the treeline at our DZ, no overshoot area... I just typically fly crosswind and stay really far from them before I turn into the wind at a low height.

I'm never on target when I have to land facing the tree's, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Thanks Chubba. So you've landed into the treeline before? How'd that go?

Thanks Chubba. So you've landed into the treeline before? How'd that go?

Nop, I'm a big wuss.

Instead of trying to land in front of the hangar, I fly crosswind well clear of the treeline, then turn into the wind for a nice safe landing, no chance of overshooting and hitting the tree's.

Here's an attached pic of my DZ with silly MS paint arrows to explain :)

(don't mind that I'm flying over the runway :()

On one of my late student jumps I had a close encounter with a couple of trees. I misjudged the wind and turned my downwind approach one to realize it was upwind, and strong, maybe too strong for my skills. I ceased to move forward, just straight down. The company next to the dropzone has a flag pole, which provides excellent windage next to their building. a couple of yards from that pole were to little trees in a decorative garden bed. I was desperate to miss the flag pole, I wanted to miss the tarmac which was on two sides, and found myself coming down right between those little trees. I had two lines tangle in the taller tree. One of the instructors on the load looked at me and said, "Smells a little piny in here, Bruce." Hopefully that is my last tree encounter (not to mention a LONG way away from that flag pole!)
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Nice!

I'm just glad someone got pictures. I was off jumping somewhere else, slacking in my weekly photo duties. Nice to see you were helped out of the tree by someone that landed on that same treeline on her category A jump. :)
So will we ever see you again?? :P

Dave

Nice!

I'm just glad someone got pictures. I was off jumping somewhere else, slacking in my weekly photo duties. Nice to see you were helped out of the tree by someone that landed on that same treeline on her category A jump. :)
So will we ever see you again?? :P

Dave

Sheddap Dave. :P
Yes you will see me again. Just not hanging out in the tree. ;)

And i wasn't really hung up in the tree, i just hung the chute on the tree then PLFed into the branches n thangs below.

And I don't feel bad now. :D

I'm glad you're okay. Most tree landings don't result in injuries. It's the climbing out of the tree that usually gets people.

As an instructor, I have to ask the obvious. Why didn't you land in the nice open field right next to the trees?

Well the answer is simple: The trees got in the way.
;)