djta0707

weight bags for packing parachute

If you're talking a packing weight to use when Pro-Packing your main... then the gallon milk jug full up sand or rocks works well, tape the cap on or if you want to get gucci, hot glue the cap on... some DZs have taken to getting a bunch of empty 3lb coffee grounds cointainers, filling them with cement and placing them around the packing area to be used as packing weights.

If you're talking packing weights to be used for packing reserves... I made mine out of brightly colored 2" tubular nylon. Cut yourself off a length of about 18" or how ever long you want it. Sew one end closed, fill with lead shot and sew the other end closed. You can add a flag to it or not, up to you. The trick is to get it sewed shut after filling with shot and not getting shot all over the place... but that's up to the individual to figure out, builds character and sewing skills. ;)

Just don't use an old car battery as a packing weight. :S Wasn't there a discussion about someone caught doing just that around here awhile back... :o:D

if i could get anyones help on where i can get weight bags or maybe some pictures of your weight bags so that i can have some made i would appretiate it very much. also any ideas would help to thanks

While I find packing weights convenient, I learned to pack without packing weights at Perris P3 Big Way camp, on the grass in the shade of a tree. I had to cope with a little bit of sliding, and if I'm without a packing weight, it's easier to pack on the grass than on a tarp due to the extra friction of grass. However, I do find it more comfortable to pack with a packing weight, but at least I can field pack my canopy, while waiting, if I land out at a foreign dropzone on the wrong side of a river and have to wait a long time to be picked up. ;)

Tip: Keep a pull up cord in your jumpsuit pocket at all times. Tie the risers together with the pull up cord, to keep the lines symmetrical when packing without weights, less need to keep them taut. When this is done, you don't need a packing weight as much. Once you've stowed the lines, you just remove the pull up cord from the risers and carry on.

That said, I will use a weight or an anchor when available, but it's no longer essential if I have to pack right away for the next bigway load...

I use weights all the time when I pack tandems.

My 2000+ tandem pack jobs say they are not necessary, and since I've seen a packer close one in a rig, I think they are a bad habit.

I could put the lines between my fingers and run laps around the packing tent (tarp surface) without the lines going anywhere. Like I said they're going in for relines but still we had a fair bit of wind this past weekend so the lines were pretty tangled.

Sure you can pack without a weight but I wanted to point out that in some situations they are a good idea. I'm no expert either but I believe you should stack the odds in the favour of a beginner not make the task more difficult.

I also think it would be a challenge to close any container - even a tandem with a gallon jug inside. If you're concerned about that then use a large enough packing weight that it's impossible.

-Michael

I made some packing weights like what I saw at Z-Hills. They are a plastic mold that is a 6"x12" cylinder that is filled with concrete. About the size of two coffee cans. They are used for testing concrete strength. I used steel cable inserted in the top as a handle. I have seen a rope used, but they wear out. The cable is indestructible. The cylindrical shape fits nicely into the leg straps and keeps the risers even, it will fit into the main pack tray on a tandem, or can lay flat over the risers. I made them about a year ago for a DZ and they are still going strong. I was lucky that all the materials were available at work so cost me nothing.:)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Why bother tying your risers together?

Once it is on your shoulder just make sure both sides are level.

It makes a huge difference. As you get more jumps and you jump higher and higher wingloadings you'll personally understand this.

At nearly 2.6:1 1/2" difference between the risers can give a wild opening. In fact the last reserve ride I had was due to two of the eight stows being improperly. They were double wrapped (not even the locking stows), it caused the canopy to load slightly unevenly and by the time I had my hands to the risers (before the canopy was even inflated), the canopy had me on my back and spinning violently.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."