henryvillar

Mid-air cutaway retrieval

Last weekend I watched an experienced jumper attempt to catch my canopy with his feet - fortunately he missed it as I followed the freebag into a farmer's field. I asked him please follow it if you feel strongly about helping but don't try to catch it. He said "it wasn't dangerous and I'd try it again".

Sometimes these attitudes are around and there isn't a lot we can do about it. Experiencewise I'm not in a position to lecture someone else about these dangers. I've seen videos of people catching mains before and I think sometimes people try to copycat that type of behaviour without considering the consequences.

-Michael

Must not have been around for much time in the sport, we started to learn this in the late 70's that it was a really bad idea to do. It only takes one time watching some one get pounded to get a clue.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Course I'm also a CRWdog who has landed off hundreds of times, and we've put down CRW 100 ways off airport. To me landing off is a complete non-event.

Completely agree with Wendy here. Although last weekend with our team missing three left shoes the two of us following the gear decided to land in a near by park near the residential district our gear landed in instead of in it.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: No kidding on the shoes.

You may be right but the difference is that the flag can be cut-away.... another canopy caught around your body or lines can not. (he was in trouble a bit too low to cut it away tho').

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Was it the drag from the flag that caused this accident?
Looks like the same principle as having a main caught on your leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kHGf1vAXCY&feature=related

No, high winds and poor canopy control.

The extra drag from a flag like that will be nothing like the extra drag from a reinflating main caught round your foot.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

People have died doing this. Its an EXTREMELY bad idea. Follow it down, land as close as possible while remaining safe, but catching it is dangerous. Mains do unpredictable things when floating down, and it is very easy to find yourself in a canopy wrap if you try this.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
So far the examples cited as evidence that this may not be a good idea involve people snagging the cutaway main on their feet and thereafter becoming entangled. What about simply reaching out and grabbing a piece of the main with one's hand? It would seem that it would be easy enough to let go if it became a control problem. Anyone know of any examples of such a "save?"

Cheers,
Jon S.

Dude I "chased" a cut-away main down this weekend. The closing speed on one of those wadded up canopies was amazing. I can't imagine trying to catch it. I'll stick to the watch where it lands and land next to it. :)

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
So far the examples cited as evidence that this may not be a good idea involve people snagging the cutaway main on their feet and thereafter becoming entangled. What about simply reaching out and grabbing a piece of the main with one's hand? It would seem that it would be easy enough to let go if it became a control problem. Anyone know of any examples of such a "save?"

Cheers,
Jon S.

Jon... i KNOW you can't be serious... and that this comment is meant as 'tongue -in-cheek'.:|:|

Of course.... it's just as BAD ,,, to try to grab a cutaway main, with your hand...
hell it's alot worse!!!... what are you gonna do???? LEt GO ?? of a toggle...
'c'mon..... you're just being silly... right???
I believe that you have a lot more savvy..... than to suggest such a thing...
There is absolutely NO assurance of what all those lines and canopy material , might do,, while trailing from ANY part , of a descending jumper...and when it goes to shit.... it 'll go there with a vengeance...>:(B|[:/]:(

Bottom Line.....
A cutaway canopy is a Bad bad thing... hell It just backfired,,,, malfunctioned, for Gods' sake....smote it's master....
required it's owner to "lose it",,,,
and we wanna come around and give it a chance to 'fuck over' someone else....????
no thanks...:|[:/]...

It's bad news, dirty stuff, and for the moment NEEDS to fall to the ground,,,, un abated...
Avoid it, likes it's a disease..... until after it lands...

jmy

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting this would be a good idea. Just wondering whether it had been done. The image I have in my mind has to do with someone perhaps grabbing a pilot chute and dragging the mess "safely" behind, with little opportunity for entanglement.

Of course, trying to maneuver toward the errant main while having a hand free to grab with would be difficult. And the comment about the closing speed illustrates yet another factor to consider.

No, I won't be trying this anytime soon.

Cheers,
Jon