blacksha

Packing Surfaces

This is obviously a little more important if you flat pack vs. PRO pack, but still important for both I think...

And this may seem like a dumb question, but I'd like to hear from the knowledgeable out there...

What are the best/worst packing surfaces for your canopy? Ranked from best to worse or other way around?

Dusty concrete has to be one of the worst.

I think that shaded un-fertilized grass is the best.

The was a study done some time ago I believe, don't remember where I saw it, maybe someone else can chime in....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I believe there was a study that said the best surface for the canopy would be painted concreate. However the best packing area that I have been in was at SDC with the wrestling mats all over the place.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I think that shaded un-fertilized grass is the best.

Depends on the grass. Some grass can poke through the canopy.

Tarps are really some of the worst surfaces too, especially as they get a little worn and the plastic fibers start poking out.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Slippery wooden floors are fucking terrible for me to pack on, slips and slides all over the place. I like a good ole carpet or some short grass.

I heard folks saying "i love packing on damp grass, it packs so easy" but my shit is old and smells if i do that :D

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Study done by the belgian army in the 90's. Industrial surfaced concrete was the best. The stuff with the very smooth hard surface, not the drive way stuff.

One of the worst that is used (not counting the driveway), an aged polypropylene tarp. The poly fibers stick up like a bed of nails.

Tested by dragging weight fabric samples over the surface and comparing permiability before and after.

I don't remember where carpet came out. But best idea is to not drag anything. I use a drag mat for the rig no matter what I'm on and for the most part the canopy just sits there.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I believe there was a study that said the best surface for the canopy would be painted concreate. However the best packing area that I have been in was at SDC with the wrestling mats all over the place.

Painted concrete??? That's got to be hard on the knees! :P

I'd go with the wrestling mats anytime, I just wish the average DZ could afford them.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Terry, in your personal opinion would you take a quick packjob in grass and direct sunlight, over a shaded but well worn tarp?

Our packing areas are all covered with tents, but the mats are shot. :S

Until now when I read your post I had never considered that they could be bad for my canopy . Thanks!

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Man, you ask hard questions.

Okay, this is going to get long.

History.... Indoor packing or under a canopy for shade? Unheard of until the mid 80's or 90's. Maybe shade for the jumper but not for the canopy.

Paid packers?.... Unheard of! until hmmmm when? I don't remember any at the 1985 Freak Brothers. Except there was always the DZ bum who would pack your rig but nobody used them. First Roger WFFC, don't remember any there. So, invention of the 90's I think.

We packed in the sun, on the grass. Those that cared used a drag mat. Didn't try to be real fast but bitched at the people leaving them out for 30 - 60 minutes or more. At least by the late 80's we cared.

Anyway, to your question. The study really stressed the fabric. But tarps were by far the worst.

A nice lawn in the sun wouldn't bother me. A dirty old tarp in the shade? Probably wouldn't matter that much since usually not dragging the canopy. I'd put a drag mat under my rig no matter where. In the sun I probably wouldn't stop and chit chat for an hour. In the hanger I might.

I don't know. Tell them to get canvass tarps.;) Or at least new ones.:)
But I always pack for myself. Sometimes on my own tarps at boogies.

The key, know that a tarp can be bad and limit dragging you stuff around on it. And pack where most convienent. Of course everybody will think your weird, a nerd, or really really old if you pack in the GRASS (gasp!).:o

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE