a63jmt300

NEED CERTIFICATION, PLS HELP!!! AIRBORNE!!!

A little about myself:

I'm a rigger (92R) in the 82nd Airborn Division, stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC. Sadly, I can't afford the initial $2200 investment for my A rating. I am already an Airborne soldier, love jumping and won't be able to go to HALO school for another two years. Since HALO school isn't recognised by the USPA, this is the route I need to take in order to do this on my own.

The problem I have is coming up with the cash. I am asking the dropzone.com community for small donations that will hopefully add up to the amount necessary for my A rating.

My own cash is being saved up for a decent used rig for around $3000.

So far, from my own unit, neighbors, and those around the Raeford dropzone, I have $317 dollars in donations. PLEASE HELP!!! I absolutely LOVE to jump out of planes and want to experience this as you all do. For donations, i'm setting up a business paypal account so if i get enough emails from people wanting to help out, i'll get on it. The only donations I have so far is from face to face, but hopefully i can extend my publicity on the internet.

Thank you,

Andy Russell

if you have any questions, please email me at:

[email protected]

anything that exits a military aircraft in the 82nd Airborne Division is rigged by my company. My company consists of 3 Platoons:

AD - aerial delivery, also known as heavy drop. they rig vehicles, supplies, weapons, ammo, fuel, food, water, you name it. AD is the main support element in Afganistan and IRAQ.

Pack - this platoon packs close to 12000 parachutes a month to support the 82nd. We have 32 pack tables open, and each rigger is required to pack 25 a day. the 82nd only jumps T-10's and MC-1 parachutes.

the last platoon is maintaince.... they are basically a large sew shop. from little tears to large holes, cut lines, bad pack trays, etc... they fix them.

a military rigger is the main supporting element to any Airbrone organization.

o, by the way i'm not trying to play the "ew, i'm airborne" card.... just thought you would know i'm not a dirty nasty leg that walks the planet his entire life.

i'm sorry, but $2200 for the basics is a little pricey. most of the people that donated agree and want more people in the sport.

You already get a discount with your military status at some places regarding gear, what more can you want? Sheesh

You may be a top bloke and all that jazz but thats ridiculous in my opinion :S

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

You've not been around skydiving then, most generous folks i have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Or maybe thats just my experience.

Yea its expensive at first but suck it up and stop being a cry baby.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Raeford drop zone/school is the only school around...and since there are a ton of people..who cares about competitive prices, right??? why not rape people for all they got?

They have competitive prices last time I checked.

i guess this is the mentality of some schools, no?

Nope, typically not. Pretty much every DZ in the US has similar prices. Sometimes it looks different, but when you add up the total cost for a license the prices are pretty similar from place to place. Some charge less, but have smaller A/C and/or older gear and/or less facilities.

Man, you sure know how to get on the web to make friends and influence people.[:/]

There are a lot of active duty military that are skydivers and they paid their way to the license. There are a lot of former military skydivers who did the same. There are some of us that were making around $10k a year while in college and still found a way to make it happen by working our butts off at the DZ every weekend.

Every jumper out there did something to make their license happen, you can choose to look at your situation as a challenge and work to make it happen, or you can give up, piss and moan and ask for donations.

I would figure that a proud fighting man like yourself would look at the challenge, adapt and overcome instead of giving up. Guess I was wrong.

I want more people in the sport, but I've seen time and time again that the people that have their instruction given to them either by well off parents or by kindness of others do not stay in the sport. They are only tourists and never contribute back to the new jumpers. The ones who had to make skydiving happen for themselves stay in the sport and pay it forward.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

well it won't be untill september then. Raeford drop zone was telling me today that it is cheaper buy the training in a "package" then it is to go from week to week....

i guess your right. I just hope after I obtain my A license and a good rig, things level off...

Andy, these types of posts, requesting donations, are not condoned or allowed on dropzone.com. Please refrain from making requests for donations. I suggest you talk to Tony T. and see if you can get a job packing for the school or helping around the DZ to fund your AFF. Talk to rat boy, he has a team room full of rigs and I am positive he has something that you could use after you are off of student status.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

wow, this community is smaller than i thought. i'm suprised you know tony and most of the guys at the shop. jeez.

PLEASE, I DIDN'T MEAN TO PISS ANYONE OFF. I'M SURE I'M GOING TO RUN IN TO YOU GUYS SOMEDAY....DON'T NEED THE REPUTATION OF A BROKE AZZCLOWN...

THANKS,

ANDY

wow, this community is smaller than i thought. i'm suprised you know tony and most of the guys at the shop. jeez.

You're right, it is a small community but the reason I am familiar with the DZ is because it is my home DZ as well as one of the other moderators here. We've both been stationed at Bragg for a long time now and jump regularly at Raeford when we aren't TDY.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

alright AuggieDave, you sold me.... my wife mentioned that I could always sell my M4, but that's never going to happen. TOTAL investment I have so far is 900 or so dollars, and i could easily save 600 monthly.

i don't need your money i guess.

Hey, I understand, I'm selling a spare canopy to buy a M4 right now.:D

Now you have seen that this is an exceptionally small community (skydiving as a whole, not just the website per se). You'll find that its a fun community and people tend to help those in need, but most do not see the initial costs of the sport as something in need in most cases.

Now when you've been in the sport for a while and you have a motorcycle wreck breaking a leg, as an example. You'll see the community rally around you.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just the main and you need around 1000 jumps to jump it.

Who are you to say that you havent seen him jump. He may have mad skillssssssssss. That mountain dew can do some crazy shit :D:D:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

clip

its almost 2009 and were still jumping T-10D's. WTF? America hates us..

I am absolutely certain that is not true !!! However if I were in a daylight combat situation, I would prefer a T 10 jump from 400 feet to anything that can be done with a square.

Ed

its almost 2009 and were still jumping T-10D's. WTF? America hates us

No, the Army is going to transition to a new static line parachute shortly(T-11). The powers that be at Division Hqs may or may not implement the change once they get everyone trained up on the new system. At any rate I can tell you've not done many night time mass tacs with the deuce. Once you have it will become glaringly apparent to you why you don't want all of those people in the air ,at the same time, at night under a highly maneuverable canopy. It used to be my squads SOP to carry a fist sized rock in your cargo pocket on those mass tacs to "communicate" with other jumpers who were trying to kill you before the ground came up. You haven't been on a mass tac until you've met the jumper from the other door face to face under the aircraft. AHHH the good old days...I don't miss them. ;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

No, the Army is going to transition to a new static line parachute shortly(T-11).

Is that the ATPS? I know the troops have to be looking forward to a softer landing...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Every mass tac I have done has been "hollywood". The last during all-american week this past may. The absolutely BEST chute i've jumped so far is the SF-10A...absolutely sweet....but I have to sneak off over to USASOC and jump with them in order to get any time with the SF-10A.

BTW, i'm jumping the T-11 sometime in August (including a nice water jump in florida)....i'm also on the test jump with the V22 OSPREY..

this summer will most likely be the highlight of my Airborne status. V22 OSPREY, T-11 training, water jumps...i'm surprised considering this is division...lol!

what i meant to say in my previous post is it takes the army a hell of a long time to decide on a new parachute system...i mean i'm surprised we even have the MC1-1!...that's even a joke. i'll stop bitchin' i'm lucky enough to be a rigger and able to test all the new stuff...

i'm lucky enough to be a rigger and able to test all the new stuff

I hate to bust your bubble but I'll let you in on a secret, despite what "they" may have told you, you are not testing anything out that hasn't already been tested many times already. Before the average joe is given a shot at any new item, it goes through a plethora of testing and safety reviews, especially personnel parachute systems. Have fun jumping the T-11 and V-22, both are fun to jump.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING